Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hawthorne, CA - Tesla Design Center (CLOSED TO PUBLIC 19 Jul 2021, 8 V2 + 2 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to see this be the first 4 or 8 plug per charger station. Have a supercharger plug at every parking space in the lot. This location should always roll out the latest supercharger tech. Also, roll out the TESLA LEDs on the plug stands with red, green and yellow coloring based on charging capability.

So I have lots of photos but I've learned that TMC.com is showing them upside down so if anyone has a solution that doesn't involve me downloading a program . . .

Hawthorne Map 10-15-14.jpg

Lots of work ongoing. Massive construction. All of the original stalls are now closed. There are 8 temp chargers available. Construction in both parking lots is ongoing. Would be a great site for battery swapping. Just saying

Of course swapping wouldn't have helped for the D since Hawthorne was a destination and swapping is more suited to en-route refueling. Maybe they'll expand and put in a large multi-unit L2 charging system. Or maybe instead of swapping it'll be super fast out-of-car charging: remove, plug into extra-super-duper-cooled system, charge at insane power, plug back into car.

I suspect the issue isn't Tesla's time or focus but rather the bureaucracy of other parties in making this all work out.

I wonder if this is a case where Tesla's tendency for secrecy is hurting them. Imagine if the Supercharger deployment team had a status page that displayed the intentions, and the progress, of each planned Supercharger site, from the moment of conception.

Far more than the currently displayed map that contains little more than vague location indicators and rough annual dates, this detailed status page could also include comments from the deployment team like "we believe XXX, Missouri is an ideal location but we're finding the city council there to be unresponsive to our initial inquires." We owners could then take it upon ourselves to politely point out to said city council that we would be thrilled to spend our money in their city during road trips.

While such a status portal would be a bit more work for the Supercharger deployment team, perhaps involving the owners earlier in the process would be valuable in cutting through the bureaucracy. A chorus of us chanting "if you let Tesla build it, we will come," may motivate the bureaucrats more than Tesla's isolated request.

I know this seems unfair, and I see this response a lot here in discussions. Reality is though that there is a large amount of Teslas in this area. The number of Tesla cars in California outnumbers any other state. While on a map it looks like there are big gaps in the Supercharger network, it is not about covering area, it is about providing Superchargers where there is demand. The demand in California and especially around Los Angeles is much higher. LA county also is close to 14 million people. Add in the surrounding counties and it's easily 25 million.

Tesla doesn't favor any region because they like them better, they build where there is a higher demand to serve their customers. I live in Los Angeles and I see a lot of other Tesals charging when I drive around California. At several California SCs I had to wait in line. There are always other cars charging. On my 4300 mile road trip all the way to Minnesota I charged at all the Superchargers on the way that connect the coast to coast line. I saw maybe 3 other Teslas on the entire trip that included 30 stops at Superchargers. The difference in how much demand there is couldn't be more obvious. Tesla is doing the right thing, they build where there is high demand.

Wow! Well articulated!

I would bet on a battery swap station. I read that Tesla has lost their ZEV credits that they sell to other car makers because of charging times. My guess is that will spend the money on some swap stations so they can get those credits back for resale. They were a huge source of income that allowed Tesla to post profits.

Silly thing is, Hydrogen cars qualify for them. Hmm.... maybe Toyota and others are just pushing hydrogen so they can build compliance vehicles instead of paying for ZEV credits?