Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hawthorne, CA - Tesla Design Center (CLOSED TO PUBLIC 19 Jul 2021, 8 V2 + 2 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been noticing that the Hawthorne Supercharger is definitely NOT as busy as it used to be.
There are still often people there, but I haven't had to wait to charge in over a month.

The 2 extra charging bays definitely helped the most. And the fact that the 6 original bays are actually all working now. I remember driving there many times and at least one or more stalls were out of service.

I've been noticing that the Hawthorne Supercharger is definitely NOT as busy as it used to be.

There are still often people there, but I haven't had to wait to charge in over a month.

I'm confident that SJC has been picking up slack and creating alternative charging opportunities for those travelling North and South.

I visit at usually twice a week on average.

This is a good example of how More Superchargers Do Help with the load; SJC and an extra two stalls made a big difference. When Oxnard and the second LA Supercharger come online they will all help keep the load reasonable at Hawthorne.

The charger still seems fairly busy to me. I usually head in around lunchtime on the weekday and there's often at least 1 car waiting. I also noticed the extra bay they added next to the main bay does not charge as quickly. I was plugged in with about 14 rated miles and could only charge for 182mi/hr. There was another car plugged into it on the other side, so probably related.

Today I went to one of the original bays and was able to get 308 mi/hr even when I had 128 rated miles.

Supercharger - Hawthorne Expansion - Enormous

Looks like Hawthorne Supercharger has broken ground on an EPIC expansion. Temporary charging being installed to 8 bays and the area in front of the quonset hut to the right (facing the entrance) will get something else. Swap perhaps? I've heard there may be HPWCs installed.

7.jpg

FOUR (4) double Temporary Supercharger (8 stalls)

6.jpg

Another shot from the other way.

5.jpg
1.jpg

This is to the right and fenced off from the temporary chargers (facing the Tesla Design Studio).

4.jpg

Same location shot through the bamboo barrier standing by the existing 8 Supercharger enclosure.

3.jpg

This is to the right of the existing 8 Supercharger enclosure

2.jpg

Same shot, on the left is baboo barrier.

Last edited:
While I'm sure all the folks in Cali/LA area appreciate the convenience of access to so many SCs, those of us out here in the boonies, while fewer in number, have a necessity for SCs to be able to travel outside our regions any distance at all in any sort of expeditious manner. Lots of gaps in the US map that I'd like to see filled before any major centers in Cali get expansions.

While I'm sure all the folks in Cali/LA area appreciate the convenience of access to so many SCs, those of us out here in the boonies, while fewer in number, have a necessity for SCs to be able to travel outside our regions any distance at all in any sort of expeditious manner. Lots of gaps in the US map that I'd like to see filled before any major centers in Cali get expansions.

I know this seems unfair, and I see this response a lot here in discussions. Reality is though that there is a large amount of Teslas in this area. The number of Tesla cars in California outnumbers any other state. While on a map it looks like there are big gaps in the Supercharger network, it is not about covering area, it is about providing Superchargers where there is demand. The demand in California and especially around Los Angeles is much higher. LA county also is close to 14 million people. Add in the surrounding counties and it's easily 25 million.

Tesla doesn't favor any region because they like them better, they build where there is a higher demand to serve their customers. I live in Los Angeles and I see a lot of other Tesals charging when I drive around California. At several California SCs I had to wait in line. There are always other cars charging. On my 4300 mile road trip all the way to Minnesota I charged at all the Superchargers on the way that connect the coast to coast line. I saw maybe 3 other Teslas on the entire trip that included 30 stops at Superchargers. The difference in how much demand there is couldn't be more obvious. Tesla is doing the right thing, they build where there is high demand.

I know this seems unfair, and I see this response a lot here in discussions. Reality is though that there is a large amount of Teslas in this area. The number of Tesla cars in California outnumbers any other state. While on a map it looks like there are big gaps in the Supercharger network, it is not about covering area, it is about providing Superchargers where there is demand. The demand in California and especially around Los Angeles is much higher. LA county also is close to 14 million people. Add in the surrounding counties and it's easily 25 million.

Tesla doesn't favor any region because they like them better, they build where there is a higher demand to serve their customers. I live in Los Angeles and I see a lot of other Tesals charging when I drive around California. At several California SCs I had to wait in line. There are always other cars charging. On my 4300 mile road trip all the way to Minnesota I charged at all the Superchargers on the way that connect the coast to coast line. I saw maybe 3 other Teslas on the entire trip that included 30 stops at Superchargers. The difference in how much demand there is couldn't be more obvious. Tesla is doing the right thing, they build where there is high demand.
Sales will continue to be good in California even without the determined effort to expand SC access there. Demand will not increase in my, underserved, area because without the SC EVs are perceived as, and in many cases are, impractical as every day vehicles without a more robust infrastructure. While the "demand" may be heavy and folks get upset when they have to wait 30 min or an hour to access a SC, it is nothing compared to having to plan trips for overnight in order to spend 12 hours on a J1772 just to get enough charge to get home. I can't help but feel that the majority of those people "demanding" more SC in California are using them as a personal convenience and to save on their personal electric bills rather than "needing" them to be able to complete trips that exceed the range of their vehicles. I appreciate that there are certainly exceptions, but there will be little "demand" in the boonies out here until people see the infrastructure.

It is a chicken and egg issue, I know that. But those of us who made the commitment early on and almost 2 years after taking delivery are still to be within driving range of a SC are getting a bit frustrated. Much more so than someone upset at a 30 minute wait for a SC charge in Cali.

I think you have it partially backwards. Superchargers are built to create demand, not just respond to demand. People outside of California need to see they can get where they want it go in order to considering buying a Tesla. It doesn't matter how few people use the coast to coast route, it exists to show people it's possible to drive that long distance in a Tesla, even if they have no intention of doing so. It's reassuring to a potential buyer that it's there. It's a balancing act to not turn off potential customers because of lines at superchargers in California vs. not turning off potential customers in other states because there are no superchargers at all on routes they travel. Superchargers are Tesla's best marketing tool and they need to be put in locations that will attract new customers not just service existing customers.

So does it look like they're gonna keep the original six under the solar canopy and add about 8 more? I'm just a little confused on what is happening. Are the temporary chargers there in addition to the solar canopy chargers?

Absolutely. It looks like this is going to be the mother of all Superchargers.

- - - Updated - - -

It really is NOT a zero sum game.

LA needs this expansion and it cost tesla almost nothing since they do not have to negotiate an easement.

MO will get many Superchargers "soon".

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, that looks great! After Hawthorne maybe TM can get around to adding a few more temp stalls to SJC perhaps?

That would be amazing if Hawthorne implemented the first battery swap. It would certainly make sense though.

SJC is NOT getting any more Superchargers at the current location. I have that on authority from the bank. But there is no shortage of empty parking lots in Orange County.

I would love to see swap implemented anywhere but I'm not confident.

I think you have it partially backwards. Superchargers are built to create demand, not just respond to demand.

I agree in part. Yes the SC network is an important factor for buyers, but again, as sales numbers have shown, they are where Tesla now needs to expand because there are so many. If there are 100 buyers in California and they are looking at the Supercharger network, they feel reassured that they have SCs where lots of people drive.
The problem with not expanding locations like Barstow or Hawthorne would be more and more cars waiting in line. This would very quickly cause frustration and journalists would make a big story out of it. What's the point of a SC if you have to wait in line? It would backfire on Tesla. Superchargers only make sense if you get a spot almost instantly.

But either way, Elon said they are building SCs as fast as they can. He said there is no constraint on budget. He said, spend the money as fast as you can (on building SCs). The expansion of an existing SC doesn't affect or slow down any other locations. There is no shortage of money flow or hardware or workers.