Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hawthorne, CA - Tesla Design Center (CLOSED TO PUBLIC 19 Jul 2021, 8 V2 + 2 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol what?
My guess is no, you won’t be able to plug in 4 cars with 2 plugs, the math just doesn’t work
I agree it does not seem possible for those two pedestals to be able to charge 4 cars at once.

My point was that it is very odd for Telsa to remove four Supercharger V2 pedestals and replace them with two V3 pedestals, and arranged in a such a way that some of the stall space is apparently wasted.

I think he was asking if each of the new pedestals had 2 plugs. 2 + 2 = 4. Yep, math
But if each V3 pedestal at Hawthorne does have two cables (and the V3 pedestals at Fremont do not) then they way they are positioned at that Supercharger location won’t allow 2 cars to be charged from each pedestal. Look at the photo posted upthread by @WalterB .

Thanks for the photo. So 4 existing pedestals were removed and replaced with two new V3 pedestals. That’s odd. Will those two new pedestals be able to handle 4 cars at once? That does not seem possible based on the layout. It seems like there is now some wasted space in that area.
My most likely (and second) conjecture (pure speculation based upon public evidence presented, same info as you) is that a full (whether temporary or permanent) production (or production-like) V3 style SC cabinet and equipment was fully (even if only temporarily) installed, but the provisioning for electricity was still using the electrical supplies that were installed for the lower powered V2 cabinets (which are designed to use less power), meaning they couldn't increase provisions for more V3 SC's at that location yet beyond what electricity supply they had available without further retrofitting the electrical supply for whatever it lacked (this explanation makes far more sense than my cannibalization idea I first thought of, mentioned below). Let me explain: the V3 SC cabinets each take in far more power than the V2 SC cabinets each do, so anything between the electrical supply and the V3 SC cabinet may need retrofitting and/or upgrading to handle the increased load per stall. One temporary way to band-aid that situation for a demonstration is to close down some V2 SC stalls in order to obtain the needed level of power for fewer V3 stalls.

My first conjecture seems less likely to me now that I think of it, but here it is anyway: there could be a rare retrofit style that turns a bunch of V2 Supercharger cabinets into a V3 Supercharger cabinet for one stall. That's crazy, since one V2 SC cabinet isn't even enough power for one V3 pedestal, so I'm feeling super dumb now. That would mean that if there is specialized V3 cooling line equipment and resources needed that it would still need to be added to such an old V2 cabinet area to get to V3 spec (although since we haven't seen a teardown of a V3 SC yet we don't even know what that would entail; is the cooling solid state, liquid, gas, plasma, or ?), but that might not be impossible to achieve.

My third conjecture is also the one I think is the least likely: that they used parts of a V3 SC cabinet and parts of a V2 SC cabinet together as a quick demo, and after sitting here for a while contemplating all this, I think that's the least likely thing that happened, especially since one V2 cabinet isn't nearly enough electrical equipment for one V3 stall.

In the end, all of that conjecture of mine seems irrelevant: someday, V3 Superchargers will be fully and properly installed all around the world, open to the specified public to use for the specified purposes.
It's also strange that they would put only two stalls when they said the V3 system is a 1MW cabinet and 250kW max per stall. Logic says that they will put the other two stalls in at some point.
Part of me wonders if they dumped a trailer with everything needed at the Hawthorne SC, wired & plumbed up some V3 stalls retrofitted to the site, plugged in some wires to the previous V2 SC's supply wiring in some sufficient way, got the city to sign off, and flicked the switch, or if instead they brought out parts of what goes into one of those famed trailers and piecemealed the demo together.

Last edited:
It's also strange that they would put only two stalls when they said the V3 system is a 1MW cabinet and 250kW max per stall. Logic says that they will put the other two stalls in at some point.

My guess is that the site doesn't currently have enough power available for 4 full V3 stalls as well as the remaining 8 V2 stalls. Maybe they will add the other two stalls once the power company performs some upgrades.

The SpaceX lot is uniquely positioned right down the street from SCE Yukon substation. The SpaceX buildings basically have a 16kV distribution circuit that I don't think is shared with much else. I don't know for sure, but I would doubt the site is hurting for power capacity. If they are short, the good news is that it's not too far away to get more power.

The transformer is sized to the position. Adding another half a megawatt at a site that rarely gives the transformer a break seems like a bad idea. They may bring a larger transformer, but they are going to have to break concrete to add more stations if they do. For now, they are the most luxurious stations to pull into. Wish I could try them on my car, though it was super cool to try using their demo car during the Model Y event.

Elon said they would break ground on a real station w/i the month, so the 15th of April. But when will these be out of Beta and available for the public?

-Randy

Reactions: Cosmacelf
  • Disagree
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Has anyone been to this location this week? Odd that there is conflicting info reported by Tesla (or is it?). I plan on being in the area on Saturday and wanted to charge, otherwise I'd have to find a different location. Thanks!

The Hawthorne V3 SuperChargers went live today! Stopped by and plugged in... and got about 250KW on the display for a short time and finished up about 15 minutes later still going at about 183KW. Not a full charge for me... about 75 - 80%.

1V+M18FCQvK4sA5XgKeG1A.jpg
fullsizeoutput_124c.jpeg

The Hawthorne V3 SuperChargers went live today! Stopped by and plugged in... and got about 250KW on the display for a short time and finished up about 15 minutes later still going at about 183KW. Not a full charge for me... about 75 - 80%.

View attachment 396870 View attachment 396871

What firmware version are you running? Are you early access program?

Reactions: gaswalla
Thanks for your post! Those charge rates are amazing.

So does each V3 pedestal have just one cable?

Regarding 2 versus 4 - they may have opted to not upgrade the transformer at that location. 2 v3 pedestals prove the point of faster charging as much as 4 would at this point. Eventually it would make sense to upgrade (and expand) the site, but for now, it appears that they worked with what they had.

Excellent question above concerning how much additional benefit the Model S got. I'm guessing not much until subsequent updates, and maybe not even then.