Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Los Gatos (expanded Jun 2021, 20 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No workmen today - just a security guard. The four Clipper Creek L2s by the Superchargers are 32 amps. But I also noticed a third Clipper Creek pedestal kind of next to Highway 9. It is either next to, or within, a number of handicap spots. So all together that makes six L2 spots. Funny thing is there doesn't seem to be any way to validate the charging on the L2s. (E.g., no Chargepoint/Blink/EVGo screens.) So perhaps they are free? If so, you'll probably see the same six cars hogging them every day.

• Informative
Reactions: Dag and FlatSix911
Went by Thursday afternoon, and it REALLY looks ready to go. Signage installed, spots cleared out, chargers fully installed.No signs of any construction vehicles or activity, and the area is fully accessible. My guess is it's awaiting some final inspection or check by Tesla or the city or both.

jVlF38O6TLOEWKobr3A%2A.jpg

mcQ9x%M1RkS4mrSzkOb4Tw.jpg

I parked at one of the spots and pressed the little button on the handle of one of the supercharger "nozzles", and my charge port didn't open, so it isn't powered up yet.

Yes, there's a pad that is plumbed and ready for a big transformer, but my guess is that it is for the future expansion to the right of the existing spots. As others have pointed out, there are a whole bunch more slots with little pipes and pedestals awaiting more superchargers, and I suspect the empty pad is for those slots.

The main transformer for the spots that seem ready is across the lot near the buildings. Forgot to get a picture of that.

A few more shots:
Di0bn1oVTieq4gy6C+BOZw.jpg

KNADmgn0QIC5PfKty77dRQ.jpg

bXe1hTCiStS+QLfF5Ls2Iw.jpg

7AHr0tD5Ts6i63pjOi08cA.jpg

vkHMWpCZQzKo2eHiQmOeqg.jpg

Went by Thursday afternoon, and it REALLY looks ready to go. Signage installed, spots cleared out, chargers fully installed.No signs of any construction vehicles or activity, and the area is fully accessible. My guess is it's awaiting some final inspection or check by Tesla or the city or both.

I parked at one of the spots and pressed the little button on the handle of one of the supercharger "nozzles", and my charge port didn't open, so it isn't powered up yet.

Yes, there's a pad that is plumbed and ready for a big transformer, but my guess is that it is for the future expansion to the right of the existing spots. As others have pointed out, there are a whole bunch more slots with little pipes and pedestals awaiting more superchargers, and I suspect the empty pad is for those slots.

The main transformer for the spots that seem ready is across the lot near the buildings. Forgot to get a picture of that.

Site is still awaiting the main transformer from PG&E (pad is in your last picture) this can happen quickly or take quite some time. The 2 expansion pads for electrical cabinets are near the buildings. After the transformer is installed the city can complete final inspection.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yes, there's a pad that is plumbed and ready for a big transformer, but my guess is that it is for the future expansion to the right of the existing spots.
As @Dag correctly pointed out, that empty pad is for the PG&E transformer. How long it will take PG&E to install it and connect it is outside of Tesla’s control. It could take months. And then there is the final inspection by the city.

Ah, got it. so it's not going to be ready quite as soon as I had hoped. Thanks for the better information. I live pretty close, so i'll try to keep an eye on it every couple of days.

I think they really need 24 chargers at this location like they do in heavy populated Southern CA cities. All the Bay Area charging stations are quickly overwhelmed. Los Gatos in particularly will not only serve the Los Gatos and Campbell owners but also all those on the other side of the hill, Santa Cruz area . The other day I was at the stop lights in Los Gatos next to Whole Foods and there were 4 other Tesla waiting!

• Informative
Site is still awaiting the main transformer from PG&E (pad is in your last picture) this can happen quickly or take quite some time. The 2 expansion pads for electrical cabinets are near the buildings. After the transformer is installed the city can complete final inspection.

As @Dag correctly pointed out, that empty pad is for the PG&E transformer. How long it will take PG&E to install it and connect it is outside of Tesla’s control. It could take months. And then there is the final inspection by the city.

We just had 2 new 2500 kVA transformers installed by PG&E at my business.
The wait for an installation crew was almost 6 months ... all for a one day project. :cool:
Unfortunately, PG&E is very backlogged and has been hit hard by the Napa fires last fall.

• Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Does anyone know if Tesla is also planning on putting in a Supercharger near Whole Foods at the corner of Blossom Hill Road & Los Gatos Blvd as this map would suggest?

Find Us | Tesla

It's strange that the new ones by Chase Bank downtown aren't shown on the Tesla map above so I'm wondering if the location is just wrong at the link above?

• Funny
Does anyone know if Tesla is also planning on putting in a Supercharger near Whole Foods at the corner of Blossom Hill Road & Los Gatos Blvd as this map would suggest?

Find Us | Tesla

It's strange that the new ones by Chase Bank downtown aren't shown on the Tesla map above so I'm wondering if the location is just wrong at the link above?
If you zoom out, you will notice that the Coming Soon pin is attached to the Los Gatos label on the map, not the property visible at higher zoom levels. This is just how Tesla did the map so that they would not be revealing the actual location that may still be under negotiation. The location described in this thread is THE location for the Los Gatos Supercharger, not where the pin is on the map.

If you zoom out, you will notice that the Coming Soon pin is attached to the Los Gatos label on the map, not the property visible at higher zoom levels. This is just how Tesla did the map so that they would not be revealing the actual location that may still be under negotiation. The location described in this thread is THE location for the Los Gatos Supercharger, not where the pin is on the map.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yep, no activity whatsoever. The new superchargers work great as pissing posts for my dog though.

I wish they put the level 2 chargers in a different location as well, away from the superchargers.

And the one at the handicap spots is pretty stupid as well, as only handicaps can use it and I'm sure it will sit mostly unused. They should have placed it between the handicap and regular spots so that if someone who is not handicapped needs a level 2 they can use it.

Another week gone by and no transformer...unrelated they are doing more underground electrical work around the blue zone public charger.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 46
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 50
Still no transformer yesterday around 10pm (as if they’d do one today after Dag came). I saw one Tesla drive by.

I wonder if it is a utility delay, and if so, why. Is there some snag having to do with available energy (unlikely due to the area being previously more industrial than current, but I suppose possible), or have we simply offshored way too many transformer factories? Anybody want to foot the $ for investing in me starting a transformer factory in California, or even someplace nearby like Nevada or Idaho?

Still no transformer yesterday around 10pm (as if they’d do one today after Dag came). I saw one Tesla drive by.

I wonder if it is a utility delay, and if so, why. Is there some snag having to do with available energy (unlikely due to the area being previously more industrial than current, but I suppose possible), or have we simply offshored way too many transformer factories? Anybody want to foot the $ for investing in me starting a transformer factory in California, or even someplace nearby like Nevada or Idaho?

PG&E has a large backlog of work and a shortage of skilled labor ... current wait times of 4-6 months for a transformer.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka and Ulmo