Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Los Gatos (expanded Jun 2021, 20 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to see that happen to your Tesla Nate.

I wonder if the neighbors (the houses behind the wall/pine trees) like having the pine trees there? When my backyards neighbor's pine tree died, it was one of the best things that happened to my yard.

Sorry to see that happen to your Tesla Nate.

I wonder if the neighbors (the houses behind the wall/pine trees) like having the pine trees there? When my backyards neighbor's pine tree died, it was one of the best things that happened to my yard.
I suppose you like barren deserts and being left alone in the ocean on a raft, and big empty parking lots in urban areas.

Heads up to all who charge in the Los Gatos location. I've been charging at the Los Gatos Super Charging station for the past 4 weeks. However, today when I was plugged up and charging I heard a loud thump on the top of my car. I have the Model S with a panoramic sun roof. I then looked up and my rear sun roof glass panel was shattered. I immediately got out of the car and while I was getting out a 2nd pine cone struck the top of my car. I looked up into the trees and saw that there were 2 squirrels that were chewing the pine cones loose and dropping them to the ground so they could later climb down the tree and retrieve them for food.
My car ended up with a shattered sun roof and a golf ball sized dent on the top edge. I just finished reporting the incident to Tesla customer support and sent in a request to have my car picked up and towed to the San Jose body shop location for repair. Beware of the possible damage that could happen to your car here.. Hopefully they will find a solution before other customers cars are damaged.
Cheers, Nate Sanders View attachment 350127 View attachment 350128 View attachment 350129 View attachment 350133

Sorry to hear about this accident... your comprehensive insurance should cover your expense.
You may want to reconsider towing directly to Tesla... they take forever to order parts and you may want to drive your car while you wait.

I suppose you like barren deserts and being left alone in the ocean on a raft, and big empty parking lots in urban areas.

:eek: Wow, that made some assumptions and quickly went to a dark place! LOL :)

The fact of the matter is that this part of the lot is seeing an increase of use because of the superchargers. Pine cones that would once fall on an empty space are now causing damage to personal property. Since this is a town lot it brings some general liability for Los Gatos. To what degree? I have no idea.

Questioning if the trees are the best for this spot isn't far fetched The trees can be replaced with a different species. The result could be a triple win for EV owners, neighbors, and the town.

Last edited:
I beat you to it, stopped by about 850pm this evening.

My own thoughts are they located the chargers down a little too far away from the main entrance, making them more difficult to find. Right near that unfortunate ramp behind a cafe where the workers smoked cigarettes out back. Surprisingly lots of non ev cars zipping through this narrow lot. Also encountered a roaming homeless person wandering around the parking lot eyeing the fancy cars, so we choose not to leave the vehicle unoccupied. He wandered past our car at last three separate times.

My advice is only use this location as need be, and preferably during daylight hours. The locals nearby after dark make one feel less confident about leaving a very expensive vehicle charging unattended. Even in Los Gatos. Would like to see stationed security or police on a regular basis to help curb the perceived riffraf.

Security Guard? In Los Gatos, if you need a security guard in Los Gatos, we need an army everywhere else. I grew up in Los Gatos. It was the safest place on earth in my mind. I cannot imagine a need for security guard really. Something happens in that town and your surrounded by police in a matter of moments. Mutli-millionaire enclave of late, I cannot believe there is a crime problem. No way they would live and put up with anything for one moment.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Security Guard? In Los Gatos, if you need a security guard in Los Gatos, we need an army everywhere else. I grew up in Los Gatos. It was the safest place on earth in my mind. I cannot imagine a need for security guard really. Something happens in that town and your surrounded by police in a matter of moments. Mutli-millionaire enclave of late, I cannot believe there is a crime problem. No way they would live and put up with anything for one moment.
Just because you don't see it doesn't mean there isn't a homeless problem in Los Gatos. Leave your vehicle here unattended at your own risk.

If you read through the thread here you'll see there have been several occasions of vandalism of the supercharger wiring etc. so tucked in behind the buildings like they are at night, personally I'd rather grab my coffee or sandwich (or hit the bathrooms) first and then park the car to charge while I wait inside the car.

So anyone know how long "pinecone bomb" season lasts?

Very heavy rain while at the supercharger! I noticed that the building had excessive water coming off and water falling on white electrical boxes! I think the downspout on the building is clogged? I’m sure the boxes are weather proof but water can be very powerful over time and eventually find its way into the box.

Attachments

• 10810C00-4AE5-458E-B74E-89E3E5DF6CDD.jpeg
    10810C00-4AE5-458E-B74E-89E3E5DF6CDD.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 107
  • D7E943D4-AA0F-405F-BC04-CFCCC899B159.jpeg
    D7E943D4-AA0F-405F-BC04-CFCCC899B159.jpeg
    447 KB · Views: 77
  • 2262131D-6B88-4773-86A0-54DA902D5E12.jpeg
    2262131D-6B88-4773-86A0-54DA902D5E12.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 76
  • BE6B630C-ADC0-4167-AF73-B1F9A969C2FD.jpeg
    BE6B630C-ADC0-4167-AF73-B1F9A969C2FD.jpeg
    313.3 KB · Views: 84
Very heavy rain while at the supercharger! I noticed that the building had excessive water coming off and water falling on white electrical boxes! I think the downspout on the building is clogged? I’m sure the boxes are weather proof but water can be very powerful over time and eventually find its way into the box.
If you want, it might be good for someone to email this into Tesla. It's simply an issue of the adjacent building maintenance clearing the drain. I have to do that once per year where I live, and I had to do it once per year in the properties I used to manage. It's something every senior building maintenance manager should know how to get done, plus any maintenance person who has worked through a rain storm.

[email protected]

Should also speak directly with the management at the appropriate store to get them to contact the landlord (who is likely responsible). Things are less likely to fall through the cracks that way. Probably get a faster response, too.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chuq
I can confirm the pine cone attacks are common there. Stupid chipmunks threw a pine cone and hit my trunk few months ago. Now there is a nice bump which will be covered when the car gets wrapped next week.

Sorry your car was a casualty of that. I hadn’t seen any other reports of pinecone attacks so I guess a good reminder it’s still a very real posibility for people stopping there to charge.

According to CHP and Sheriff, our town of Angwin, CA, is literally crime free. I can't see how Los Gatos is in our league with ten times the population. I never lock my house or garage. Come on by if you need a 40 amp charge!

As a "Silicon Valley native" I know your perspective. Things haven't really changed all that much. There is still a bit of crime (as there always has been).

(soap box on) The area has changed to being a huge amount of income inequality - exacerbated by the enormous CEO and upper management pay, the practices of the big companies to have even 50% of their employees as "contractors", and offices and cubicles being filled with 5 desks causing acute housing and traffic. (soap box off)

The location of the supercharger is so central, so yes I'm sure police response would be very fast.

A security guard would be over the top.

I have noticed that ever since the Tesla Chargers have been added there has been a reduction of people hanging around between 1:00 AM and 3:00 AM drinking and making unnecessary noise. When it first opened there was a lot activity around that time. The Los Gatos/Monte Sereno Police used to patrol regularly at the above times and shine lights into cars. I have personally witnessed someone who was using the public chargers very late and asked what they were doing charging so late. He was not driving a Tesla but a very nice BMW I3?? Overall I have never felt unsafe or the need for security in Los Gatos. Most people who live in the area as well as visitors to the very nice DT Los Gatos are very nice! Having said that I have noticed the posted signs in other parking lots asking to take a valuables out of your car when parking!:(

I have noticed that ever since the Tesla Chargers have been added there has been a reduction of people hanging around between 1:00 AM and 3:00 AM drinking and making unnecessary noise. When it first opened there was a lot activity around that time. The Los Gatos/Monte Sereno Police used to patrol regularly at the above times and shine lights into cars. I have personally witnessed someone who was using the public chargers very late and asked what they were doing charging so late. He was not driving a Tesla but a very nice BMW I3?? Overall I have never felt unsafe or the need for security in Los Gatos. Most people who live in the area as well as visitors to the very nice DT Los Gatos are very nice! Having said that I have noticed the posted signs in other parking lots asking to take a valuables out of your car when parking!:(
Do you ever stop in at gas stations late at night and ask why people are filling up?

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset and cwerdna