Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Los Gatos (expanded Jun 2021, 20 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Historical note: That alley used to be the path of the South Pacific Coast railroad (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Pacific_Coast_Railroad) that led over the mountains to Santa Cruz. The tracks through Los Gatos and over the hill are long gone. In fact a portion of the route is now underwater at Lexington Reservoir. In a sense it is too bad, because it would be fairly scenic. And the alternative of driving Highway 17 is usually jam packed with traffic during commute hours and on weekends. But at least tourists can still ride along a bit of the western end of it via the Roaring Camp and Big Trees historic railroad.
As a child, I remember seeing the railroad all the way from there up into the hills winding around the canyons by 17, but then as an adult, I struggle to see any of the remains of it.

Quite a bit of trenching work already. So appears they taking power from the building side of the lot and will be running it eventually under the parking lot to the other side. If they didn't need access to the back of the buildings it would have been more cost effective to use that side of the parking lot for charging purposes. Given how long Sunnyvale took to go active, I guess nothing is a given timewise but this looks like a good start.
They literally didn't have space to stuff everything on the same side of the parking lot and still leave room for the parking, driving lanes, and trees. The trenches are all dug, except for the final connection to source electricity, which I didn't find. In the pictures above, you can see the trench with pipes sticking up on one side and no pipes on the other side with a pad form: that's the PG&E connection to switch box, and it outputs to the AC-DC coverters on a few other pads to the right, then from each one of the AC-DC converter pads goes trenches across the parking lot to the other side where the charging pedestals are. All of that trenching and piping is already done. When I left, they were ready for whatever next step; perhaps inspection, perhaps sand or slurry, I do not know. Since the input from PG&E pipes still need to be done, I suspect that they'll either finish that first before filling everything in, or leave that out until later and start filling stuff in per the permission of the government. Either way, in terms of timeline, they'd get permission to fill everything in from the government soon, so that it isn't left open for long, and whether or not the PG&E input is included sooner or later I can't tell.

Once they are done topping things off, they can start with the various pedestals, cabinets, and then connections (installing equipment into cabinets, running wire, configuration and installation, etc.). Finally, PG&E pads have to be finished and connected, which may still require more padwork, or something. Then they hand it off to Tesla! I forsee the pedestals being installed soon, the cabinetry being installed soon, and the PG&E connection taking somewhat longer. Since both Los Gatos and the contrator seem cogent and aware, I'm predicting no real delays up til PG&E, and then maybe a few months or so. It will still go back and forth on slow-mo as everyone plays paperwork tag until that's all complete, then they hand it over to Tesla, they turn it on, and test it again. Hopefully the tests run well, because if not, they have to install more stuff, and that also takes more time, but not that much more. It's a process.

So, no batteries? That's an industrial area, since the train tracks used to run through there, so maybe they already have extra electricity left over from the industrial era. There's not much room to put more equipment, so they were probably happy to not include things they didn't need. If they're going to reduce their PG&E demand charges, they'll have to integrate their battery service somewhere nearby somehow and sign some sort of net metering agreement with PG&E regarding demand charges; I'm not sure if PG&E even wants to let them do that, but they should (provided the batteries tie in to the same demanded wires in such a way they cost PG&E less to serve, which is often not the case, but in an industrial area like that, it seems likely).

Looks like there will be 25 stalls, if I counted correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_8177.jpg
    IMG_8177.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_8179.jpg
    IMG_8179.jpg
    765.2 KB · Views: 111
This object ended up being rather ugly:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/media/5110e234-b53b-45b3-9855-5642e8adf82a.118332/
Other than that, everything looks great. I also noticed the excess number of stalls. When I asked, the guy said he couldn't talk. What kind of world do people like that grow up in when they think that everyone is some sort of foreign enemy? They do look like they're from out of state, so they may have that idea that California is not part of the USA or something. They succeeded in me losing interest until they're done.

This new picture system TMC has is awful. What used to be a single click is now about two dozen clicks.

This object ended up being rather ugly:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/media/5110e234-b53b-45b3-9855-5642e8adf82a.118332/
Other than that, everything looks great. I also noticed the excess number of stalls. When I asked, the guy said he couldn't talk. What kind of world do people like that grow up in when they think that everyone is some sort of foreign enemy? They do look like they're from out of state, so they may have that idea that California is not part of the USA or something. They succeeded in me losing interest until they're done.

This new picture system TMC has is awful. What used to be a single click is now about two dozen clicks.

Hadn't he kept his mouth shut, you would have quoted him here and got him in trouble. What a wise man.

When I asked, the guy said he couldn't talk. What kind of world do people like that grow up in when they think that everyone is some sort of foreign enemy? They do look like they're from out of state, so they may have that idea that California is not part of the USA or something
Moderator note: Let’s cool it with the irrational comments about the workers at this new Supercharger site. Any public responses to what I am quoting here or to my post will be moved. If you want to discuss this with me send me a PM, and keep it civil. Thank you.

Now let's carry on with updates on the construction at this site. :cool:

Reactions: Chuq
Went by this afternoon. Most of the wires had been pulled through the conduits to the chargers. A couple of days ago a worker said they expected to finish on Monday.

I saw 12 superchargers and 2 Clipper Creek J1772's, divided over two sections. But there is also a third section with conduits for 8 additional chargers, and associated infrastructure on the other side of the parking lot where the transformers and the Tesla cabinets are located. I asked a workman about those empty spots and he said "we're not doing them."

The original permit was for 12 Superchargers and 4 J1772's (did I miss the other 2 Clipper Creeks?). Any ideas what the other 8 are for? Conduits are the same size as for the Superchargers. Could these be for CCS DCFC? From Chargepoint (the other public chargers in Los Gatos are all from ChargePoint)? Or Electrify America? Or pre-built Supercharger expansion to 20 stalls?

Reactions: HandleX
Took some pics this morning. The extra 8 might be for future expansion, but that's speculation.

Attachments

• Charging Pedestals.jpg
    Charging Pedestals.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Clipper and Urban.jpg
    Clipper and Urban.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Electrical Cabinets 2.jpg
    Electrical Cabinets 2.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Electrical Cabinets.jpg
    Electrical Cabinets.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Future Expansion 2.jpg
    Future Expansion 2.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Future Expansion.jpg
    Future Expansion.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Transformer Pad.jpg
    Transformer Pad.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 85
Drove by this morning and noticed more changes. Site is still waiting on the transformer however most of the electrical trenches are covered now with new asphalt, one trench still needs to be covered. The entrance of the parking lot (near Los Gatos-Saratoga Rd) now has a newly installed Dual Clipper station in the Blue Zone.

Attachments

• Blue Zone Clipper.jpg
    Blue Zone Clipper.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Blue Zone Underground.jpg
    Blue Zone Underground.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg