Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Los Gatos (expanded Jun 2021, 20 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, just above FlatSix911s photo is a nice Safeway (with built-in Starbucks, deli, and so on.) The alley way is lined with trees where the Supercharger stalls will be installed. Hopefully they won't need to disturb the trees too much. There isn't a lot of clearance between the trees and the paved portion of the alley for running conduit. Perhaps they will run the conduit under the paving.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The standalone Starbucks is right there at the chargers but the Safeway down from there would be good sitdown area for a quick custom sandwich and coffee. I've shopped at the Walgreens over there and gone into Safeway but guess never really explored the eateries/establishments down in that section of Santa Cruz Ave/University with the exception of Campo de Bocce. Has anyone eaten at Sweet Pea's Cafe ( Home ) which are kind of directly across Santa Cruz Ave from the charging area? Looks like they have quite a varied menu.

Reactions: Ulmo
The standalone Starbucks is right there at the chargers but the Safeway down from there would be good sitdown area for a quick custom sandwich and coffee. I've shopped at the Walgreens over there and gone into Safeway but guess never really explored the eateries/establishments down in that section of Santa Cruz Ave/University with the exception of Campo de Bocce. Has anyone eaten at Sweet Pea's Cafe ( Home ) which are kind of directly across Santa Cruz Ave from the charging area? Looks like they have quite a varied menu.

Sweet Peas is pretty popular. Campo has a nice, but slightly more upscale, menu. Safeway has a full sandwich-making deli, a Starbucks, and even a little table area outside. Bottom line is there are several nearby places to get a bite or a cup of coffee/tea without crossing Highway 9 to go to downtown. But if you do walk across Highway 9, there are dozens of options.

Reactions: SMAlset
I drove through that parking lot and examined it. I really love its trees. It has direct open access to all the neighboring business parking lots, and it is therefore a very easy walk to Fidelity, Starbucks, Petco, Safeway, etc. It feels nice when you walk around there; it's meant to be a nice place.

At first I thought I caught seedy activity, so pictured it, but it was just a lady addicted to her smartphone doing some smartphone (I don't know the street name for that), and three guys talking (thankfully not on their smartphones -- a nice break from the present age).

I think it's a great location. Just be aware of the surroundings, i.e., a fairly secluded place, so no security against mischief. Carry abundant insurance and viable self protection, and don't put anything there you can't do without for a few days before you replace it. (E.g., encrypt your laptop and have daily backups at both work and home.)

Attachments

• IMG_9439.JPG
    IMG_9439.JPG
    505.2 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_9438.JPG
    IMG_9438.JPG
    422.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_9365.JPG
    IMG_9365.JPG
    393.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_9319.JPG
    IMG_9319.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_9285.JPG
    IMG_9285.JPG
    322.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_9247.JPG
    IMG_9247.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_9208.JPG
    IMG_9208.JPG
    364.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_9157.JPG
    IMG_9157.JPG
    376.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_9128.JPG
    IMG_9128.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_9440.jpg
    IMG_9440.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Yes, just above FlatSix911s photo is a nice Safeway (with built-in Starbucks, deli, and so on.) The alley way is lined with trees where the Supercharger stalls will be installed. Hopefully they won't need to disturb the trees too much. There isn't a lot of clearance between the trees and the paved portion of the alley for running conduit. Perhaps they will run the conduit under the paving.
It would be murderously criminal to disturb the trees for a bit of pipes. Of course they should run it away from roots and trees. Hopefully the braindead architects from the East Coast realize that our West Coast trees aren't just landscaping, but multigenerational projects that can't be destroyed just because of beaurecratic incompetence. There should be a law of death penalty or at least 20 years in jail for chopping down >40 year old trees.
Anyone drive by lately and check on progress? That City Counsel meeting was back on 12/19 and I think both sides had something like 30 days to back out or proceed. Had hoped maybe they had started digging already.
Hopefully they meant some sort of paperwork, and that paperwork was done. It's a great location.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Did a little bit of research and found the permit for the Superchargers. Record Type: Commercial - Service.

Permit E18-013 -- Install 6 Tesla EV charging stations (which translates to 12 chargers stalls...plus there will be (4) level 2 non-Tesla charging stations) @ 170 Los Gatos Saratoga, Los Gatos, CA. Status right now is listed as Corrections.

Applied for on 1/29/18. Expires 8/13/18. Other than it's in "corrections" status no other info I could find on the City site. Has construction started or is it still in the planning/review stage? Haven't driven by in a while.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: emupilot and Ulmo
Did a little bit of research and found the permit for the Superchargers. Record Type: Commercial - Service.

Permit E18-013 -- Install 6 Tesla EV charging stations (which translates to 12 chargers stalls...plus there will be (4) level 2 non-Tesla charging stations) @ 170 Los Gatos Saratoga, Los Gatos, CA. Status right now is listed as Corrections.

Applied for on 1/29/18. Expires 8/13/18. Other than it's in "corrections" status no other info I could find on the City site. Has construction started or is it still in the planning/review stage? Haven't driven by in a while.
I know next to nothing about this, but in the extremely light experience I have, it seems like that means it's before work commenses.

I presume that in terms of paperwork, if it says "corrections" and work hasn't started, that means the corrections needed are for the paperwork before work started, so something in planning. In practice a lot of work on a lot of projects is done before planning comes through with "corrections" on paperwork or actual work done is needed, and then things take time to sort out, sometimes needing changes to the plans and/or the work done or still to be done, and usually after they sort it out, it gets final'd.

Great info! I started poking at the same records, and finally found if I traversed all options some more info:

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 3.22.24 PM.png

Here's Planning Review:

Planning Review

minus_collapse.gif

Due on 02/05/2018, assigned to jp
Marked as Corrections on 02/13/2018 by jp

Comment: Pursuant to Section 29.10.155 (h)(1) wheel stops must be continuous curbing and shall not be separate blocks. Please modify the plans accordingly to address this requirement.
That gets to what I say about removing trees ought to be capital punishment. If they are trying to put the charger pedestals out further from the property line, then they would want wheel stops that are not continuous. However, the above suggests that they would want to push the chargers closer to the property line, and thus they would want to dig up closer to the property line, where all the trees are and closer to some of the tree roots. I suggest to anyone who wishes to build charger lines without disturbing trees that they put the trench as far from the tree roots as possible, and have them dive into the SuperCharger mounts in such a way they miss trees and tree roots. My thinking is that they put the main trenches out in the middle of the parking lot, and run little hand-dug branches into each mount from there. I am concerned that would actually be more trenching, and someone would want to just use a cut approach, and they'd end up killing even more trees. I can't wait until all digging is done by robots and is programmed to bypass all trees and roots, and the human element of murdering trees is removed.

I'm thinking of better alternatives. So far, the typical rules that electrical must be many feet down are getting in my way.

The curb thing is comparitively easier: just construct a continuous curb further out into the parking lot, that still meets parking lot specs. Doubtless, the problem is that the parking lot is already as tight as possible, and there's no way to do that. Another method is to move the pedestals out of harm's way. I don't know a good method to accomplish that other than pedestals that fold out of the way down to the ground and are foot-traffic worthy, or are rubber and you can crash into them without harming them. I like the rubber pedestal idea a lot, actually. Unfortunately, termites and other insects love to eat rubber. So, it would have to be some odd synthetic flexible material tested for infestation control, resilience, and toxic harm.

Here's the code section for the curbs:

(h) Curbs, wheel stops and markings. Curbs, wheel stops and markings for parking lots and spaces shall be provided as follows:

(1) Except for spaces which serve single- or two-family dwellings, all off-street parking spaces shall have wheel stops. Wheel stops must be continuous curbing and shall not be separate blocks. A continuous concrete curb may be permitted with breaks in the curb to allow for drainage to meet Best Management Practices methods for National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) requirements.​

Last edited:
Dang I thought I checked under Records Info, etc. tabs and didn't see anything listed. Good job! I did notice the next check is 2/27 next week:
Building Review
Due on 02/27/2018, assigned to PC
Marked as Corrections on 02/13/2018 by PC

That wheel stop correction is really weird to me. I assume since there's a parking lot there already that it has a one-piece curb "wheel stop" in place. Would have been installed to prevent cars from accidentally driving past and into the trees and houses beyond. Unless Tesla was going to take the parking lot curb out to install the conduit and charger equipment in its place and add those single stall black and yellow striped wheel stops in front of the charging equipment (and not replace the solid concrete curb that was there), then I don't get it. Will be curious to see what gets installed once work begins.

I couldn't recall what the parking lots behind buildings at University and Santa Cruz Ave. and down from there have. Parked there many times but never paid attention to that so looked on google maps close up view. A number of parking spaces I can see are on the diagonal and for sure don't have one continuous wheel stop there.

Decided to see if there were any updates since Corrections were due on 2/13. It looks like the Corrections went to the Building Review and were due by 2/27 and got assigned. Nothing I could see beyond that. Nothing I saw in the Planning or Council Minutes around that time. @Ulmo have you been by there lately?

BTW for anyone keeping tabs on this the current permit is E18-013. The parcel # is 52907060

Last edited:
I saw nothing obvious when I was last by there Saturday March 10 and looked from Hwy. 9 as I drove past. I'll make another attempt looking closer within the next week, but since the paperwork looks the same, it's more likely I'll spot a change later in the week rather than earlier, so I won't rush. I'll try to go at least once a fortnight from now on.

I saw nothing obvious when I was last by there Saturday March 10 and looked from Hwy. 9 as I drove past. I'll make another attempt looking closer within the next week, but since the paperwork looks the same, it's more likely I'll spot a change later in the week rather than earlier, so I won't rush. I'll try to go at least once a fortnight from now on.
I went in that parking lot this morning and saw nothing related to this.

Reactions: SMAlset
Thanks guys for driving by every so often and checking it out. Don't think it will be too much longer until we start seeing markings.

I just did a parcel check tonight and found that the Building Permit was finally approved on 4/3/18 (applied 1/29/18). It expires on 10/1/18 but let's hope it doesn't take that long! The documentation shows that there's a $284.72 balance due so guess when it's paid by the contractor they'll get the permit. Finally a green light on this location.

Last edited: