Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Los Gatos (expanded Jun 2021, 20 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Busy street/intersection but certainly convenient to Los Gatos shopping and Hwy 17 although not necessarily an area for quick bite of food. Parking in lots in Los Gatos is always fun :rolleyes: so with these spots used as EV charging now, don't know.

Wonder why they are installing a quarter of their Superchargers stalls as chargers for other electric vehicles. 12 Superchargers, 4 non. Guessing they'll be L2 J1772s which Telsas could still use though. I for one would like to see other manufacturers out there support charging of their own vehicles by installing chargers in locations other than their own showroom/service centers.

Last edited:
Busy street/intersection but certainly convenient to Los Gatos shopping and Hwy 17 although not necessarily an area for quick bite of food. Parking in lots in Los Gatos is always fun :rolleyes: so with these spots used as EV charging now, don't know.

Wonder why they are installing a quarter of their Superchargers stalls as chargers for other electric vehicles. 12 Superchargers, 4 non. Guessing they'll be L2 J1772s which Telsas could still use though. I for one would like to see other manufacturers out there support charging of their own vehicles by installing chargers in locations other than their own showroom/service centers.

Yes, I’d rather see these on the other side of HWY9, but it’ll be nice having an (almost) guaranteed parking spot available, even it it requires a bit of a hike to get to where we’re going. The few ChargePoint spots sprinkled around town don’t quite cut it.

The fact that TMC members are already considering using this site for FREE parking does not bode well for the future of this supercharger.

Who would that be? Not me and I don't read JoelH's comments that way either. Hwy 9 there is very busy and can take a while to cross to the area where most of the food places and shops are that you would go to if you were there charging and wanting to run errands while your car charges. All the spots that I'm aware of in Los Gatos downtown are free but parking can be a real bear anywhere you go. Not sure how busy that bank is there on the corner where the article mentions which might be good for EV parking because it is more of a trek to get to.

Last edited:
No details as to timeline, etc, but looks like a 12 station Supercharger is coming to downtown Los Gatos:

Los Gatos: It's crab cracking season, new charging stations
Los Gatos is not shown on Tesla’s website Find Us page as a future Supercharger site. I’m not convinced that article is correct. Could simply be Tesla HPWCs.

Find a city building permit that calls them Superchargers and I’ll believe it. For now, I’m moving this thread to the California forum.

No details as to timeline, etc, but looks like a 12 station Supercharger is coming to downtown Los Gatos:

Los Gatos: It's crab cracking season, new charging stations
New charging stations
Work is expected to begin soon on the installation of 16 new electric vehicle charging ports, 12 of which would be Tesla supercharger ports. Four ports would be for all other electric vehicle brands. The new ports will be in the North Parking Lot that runs behind Chase Bank, north of Highway 9 between North Santa Cruz and University avenues. Tesla is footing the bill, saying it’s tracked a high volume of electric vehicles in downtown Los Gatos. There are currently 14 charging ports downtown and at the civic center.

Here is the agenda for the December 19th City Council meeting. Item 10 was

Authorize the Town Manager to execute a Charging Station Agreement with Tesla, Inc. to provide
electric vehicle charging infrastructure and services at the North Parking Lot.

The staff report was positive (and specific about 12 superchargers + 4 additional chargers), and the council approved it unanimously. I'm guessing it will be at what Google calls the Northside lot.

Great find with the City minutes and staffing report.

BTW I went to check the supercharger map on Tesla's site and noticed that Tesla has changed out some of the Charging section with new videos of charging. Very nicely done. Charging | Tesla The estimator in this section however only has it for the S and the X right now. Kind of weird.

Back to the Tesla charging map. It doesn't show any superchargers in Los Gatos and there are only 2 destination chargers listed for Los Gatos, both of them hotels. Given the city documents, it's clear that Tesla however is planning for superchargers there. I'm wondering if they will be the urban variety with the lower profile and maybe more fitting for the area. I assume the City approved the Agreement with Tesla and if so Staff said construction could start in January.

There is a new tapas place opening up (Jan. I think) called Flights (Restauranteur backed by some professional atheletes--restaurants are such a risky venture) more or less right across the street from the charging parking lot. Flights Tapas Style Restaurant & Bar | Located in Campbell & Los Gatos If I'm not mistaken this use to be Hobee's before it was another restaurant that I assume has gone under.

Last edited:
@ecarfan I think we can move this to the California Supercharger Section again! Looks like urban superchargers ( First look at Tesla's urban Supercharger in action: Size, charge speed and cable )

Here are some additional Town Council reports from 12/19 with links related to the Tesla Superchargers at this location:

Original Agreement with map of charging stalls (Exhibit A)/ Exhibit B lists the equipment* : https://legistarweb-production.s3.a...t_2__-_amended_charging_station_agreement.pdf

Addendum Tesla Final, questions posed by council member: https://legistarweb-production.s3.a...ttachment/pdf/134061/Addendum_Tesla_Final.pdf

Amended Charging Station Agreement, basically clarifying the number of spaces: https://legistarweb-production.s3.a...t_2__-_amended_charging_station_agreement.pdf

Actually according to the Map of charging stalls, the stalls aren't behind the Chase Bank on the corner but further down a bit and located behind Starbucks (how convenient for a cup of coffee) and Fidelity Investments.

*The Charging Station will also include certain trade fixtures as determined by Tesla, which may include, without limitation, the charger cabinets (“Charger Cabinets”), charge posts, switchgear, signage, , and an energy storage system (the “Trade Fixtures”). The type of charge posts installed at the Charging Station shall be Level 3 DC fast chargers (capable of delivering up to 73 kW of power).

The Trade Fixtures to be installed as of the Commencement Date will include the following:

• *Ten (10) Chargers Cabinets – 72”H x 30”W x 38”D
    *Twenty (12) charge posts (Level 3 DC fast chargers) approx. 60”H x 16”W
    *Four (4) charge posts (Level 2 chargers) approx. 60”H x 16”W
    *Switchgear and meter panel – 4’ x 12’ pad
    *Signage – 12” x 18” typical
The Signage does say Tesla Vehicle Charging Only

Last edited:
Thank you for the link to that document! I agree, based on that language this new location is clearly a Tesla Supercharger site using the new “Urban” style chargers. I have moved this thread back to the California Supercharger forum and revised the thread title. Very interesting to see Tesla finalize a new location that isn’t even on their Find Us page map. I suppose they take advantage of opportunities as they arise. Good for them!
Amended Charging Station Agreement, basically clarifying the number of spaces: https://legistarweb-production.s3.a...t_2__-_amended_charging_station_agreement.pdf

Actually according to the Map of charging stalls, the stalls aren't behind the Chase Bank on the corner but further down a bit and located behind Starbucks (how convenient for a cup of coffee) and Fidelity Investments.

*The Charging Station will also include certain trade fixtures as determined by Tesla, which may include, without limitation, the charger cabinets (“Charger Cabinets”), charge posts, switchgear, signage, , and an energy storage system (the “Trade Fixtures”). The type of charge posts installed at the Charging Station shall be Level 3 DC fast chargers (capable of delivering up to 73 kW of power).

Reactions: SMAlset
Great find with the City minutes and staffing report.

BTW I went to check the supercharger map on Tesla's site and noticed that Tesla has changed out some of the Charging section with new videos of charging. Very nicely done. Charging | Tesla The estimator in this section however only has it for the S and the X right now. Kind of weird.

Back to the Tesla charging map. It doesn't show any superchargers in Los Gatos and there are only 2 destination chargers listed for Los Gatos, both of them hotels. Given the city documents, it's clear that Tesla however is planning for superchargers there. I'm wondering if they will be the urban variety with the lower profile and maybe more fitting for the area. I assume the City approved the Agreement with Tesla and if so Staff said construction could start in January.

There is a new tapas place opening up (Jan. I think) called Flights (Restauranteur backed by some professional atheletes--restaurants are such a risky venture) more or less right across the street from the charging parking lot. Flights Tapas Style Restaurant & Bar | Located in Campbell & Los Gatos If I'm not mistaken this use to be Hobee's before it was another restaurant that I assume has gone under.

Yes, Flights used to be a restaurant called Hult’s Restaurant which was a former Hobee’s. There are many restaurant options across Hwy 9 on the southside along N Santa Cruz. It’s a nice stroll with shops while waiting for charging to complete.

The northside lot where the Superchargers will be is a lot less busy as many businesses there have some parking in front along N Santa Cruz unlike those on the southside. In my opinion this is an ideal location for travelers along 17/880 since it’s right off the 17.

Reactions: Ulmo and SMAlset
Ah, I wasn't sure what they meant by "Twenty" but that "(12)" really clarifies it!

Made it that way to the Amended too. Speaking about proofreading and revisions, I just realized that I accidentally posted the link to the amended agreement in two places above. For completeness here's the correct link to the original charging agreement which was then later revised: https://legistarweb-production.s3.a...rger_Agreement-_Town_of_Los_Gatos_REVISED.pdf
Point #4 originally stated a total of twenty (20) parking spaces and initially, ten (10) parking spaces as dedicated Tesla stalls so I can see where the "20" came from.

Yes, Flights used to be a restaurant called Hult’s Restaurant which was a former Hobee’s. There are many restaurant options across Hwy 9 on the southside along N Santa Cruz. It’s a nice stroll with shops while waiting for charging to complete.

The northside lot where the Superchargers will be is a lot less busy as many businesses there have some parking in front along N Santa Cruz unlike those on the southside. In my opinion this is an ideal location for travelers along 17/880 since it’s right off the 17.

I couldn't remember the name of the restaurant that replaced Hobees, thanks. We ate there once for dinner. I see the owner of that is the owner of the Flights along with some partners now, so went for a reimagined dining experience I guess.

I agree the north end for parking will be less congested so not bad from that standpoint. Hopefully that parking lot in the back of the businesses will remain a safe area to park (had one rear window vandalism incident and not wanting a second). I did notice that there was language in the agreement to cover the addition of security cameras and other monitoring equipment and what to do if the spots became ICEd (#11 & 12).

@ecarfan Actually according to the Map of charging stalls, the stalls aren't behind the Chase Bank on the corner but further down a bit and located behind Starbucks (how convenient for a cup of coffee) and Fidelity Investments.
  • *Ten (10) Chargers Cabinets – 72”H x 30”W x 38”D
    *Twenty (12) charge posts (Level 3 DC fast chargers) approx. 60”H x 16”W
    *Four (4) charge posts (Level 2 chargers) approx. 60”H x 16”W
    *Switchgear and meter panel – 4’ x 12’ pad
    *Signage – 12” x 18” typical
Well done! :cool:
upload_2018-1-13_11-55-15.png

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
@ecarfan speaking about mixed up info, the title of the thread should be corrected to reflect 12 Tesla urban chargers (L3). Additionally Tesla is installing 4 charging stalls with L2, for a total of 16 new EV charging stalls in Los Gatos. The City is giving up 2 additional parking spaces above the 16 to comply with ADA requirements and accommodate equipment, so that accounts for the 18 parking spaces involved in the installation. The Trade Fixtures list does not accurately reflect the text of the Revised Charging Agreement (think they forgot to check when doing the revisions adding to the confusion here).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulmo
That's a pretty great location. It's not in the very premium spots downtown, but it shouldn't be.

It has easy access to Chase Bank, Fidelity, and Starbucks. One block away is a 24 Hour Walgreens.

When there is an accident on Hwy 17 in the hills and I'm not in the mood for it, Los Gatos is where I pull out. When I had a Tesla, Los Gatos would have been a great place to make sure I have enough energy to make it home, or in the other direction, in order to make it to or through my work, errands, and/or appointments for the day. It makes planning easier: target the full distance on fewer charges, but if a quick stop to realign the charge level plans is required, it's easy to do right there. It being in Los Gatos makes it a nice little break, to go shopping; there's a 24 hour Walgreens including I think a 24 hour pharmacy a block away, and many of the Los Gatos downtown shops are many blocks walking, but if the charge can last a while, that is an option. Almost every bank I ever use is even closer than that.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
@ecarfan speaking about mixed up info, the title of the thread should be corrected to reflect 12 Tesla urban chargers (L3). Additionally Tesla is installing 4 charging stalls with L2, for a total of 16 new EV charging stalls in Los Gatos. The City is giving up 2 additional parking spaces above the 16 to comply with ADA requirements and accommodate equipment, so that accounts for the 18 parking spaces involved in the installation. The Trade Fixtures list does not accurately reflect the text of the Revised Charging Agreement (think they forgot to check when doing the revisions adding to the confusion here).
Thanks for your clarification. The "18" in the map I am pretty sure refers to how many parking spaces are taken by this project, not to how many are actual charging spots. Here's their text. I think 12 urban Tesla spots tucked back there will be great. I think they talk about "initially" because they forsee that it may become popular. Many Tesla drivers there will not need to charge, but a couple will, and with Model 3, that could easily change. The Regular Range Model 3 will have more energy taken on Hwy 17 than in other drives, and that might cause some more use of charging around that area. Thus, it's hard for Tesla to tell exactly how much use that area will get. If Los Gatos says yes there's always 10 or 14 Teslas there trying to charge, it makes sense to increase the number of parking spots for charging, whereas if it's only 4 to 8 at a time, Los Gatos might want to hold off on increasing the footprint of the charging area. That all makes sense to me. This is about parking spot budgeting, and seems like the right way to do it. It does make me wonder if the transformer will be sized for 12+4 or for something larger. They can always just do a transformer swap or add another transformer, or better yet, add in batteries and solar canopies which would not work right there because of trees, so nix that idea, but at least batteries would be good. Not sure if Fidelity or Starbucks building owners want to share some roof space.
Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 2.58.39 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911