Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger lot attendant, a waste?

oneday

Nov 29, 2014
Bay Area
I went to the San Diego supercharger that had a queue of about 4 cars waiting to charge, this location also had a Tesla lot attendant. Everyone lined up in an orderly fashion and waited their turn. The lot attendant served no purpose.

The day before I charged at the redondo beach supercharger. It was full and the parking lot was a mess. No attendant, no where to queue, no way to know who was waiting and when they got there. Honestly, it was the only charging experience I’ve had where it was actually stressful. I’d also been driving all day, so that didn’t help.

Anyways these two experiences got me thinking. Tesla should create a Tesla queue from the touchscreen. A complete software solution. And, I’m sure some of you are thinking, yeah, right, add that to the giant list of software Tesla needs to add/update etc. However, this will actually save Tesla money. It seems to me that the parking lot attendant can be completely replaced with a software solution.

I have no idea how many stations actually have an attendant on payroll. But this could end up saving Tesla a ton of money, and also help at the stations that don’t have attendants but might need one.

Thoughts?

oneday

Nov 29, 2014
Bay Area
not a bad idea but difficult to enforce.

"hey man, you can't park in that stall, i'm already in line"
"too bad bro, i'm not moving my car...might as well cancel the reservation"

Actually, this could be enforced with software.
*error: Car unable to charge, disconnect cable, your car has entered the queue and you are currently x in line to charge*

tpham07

Mar 21, 2017
Rhode Island
Actually, this could be enforced with software.
*error: Car unable to charge, disconnect cable, your car has entered the queue and you are currently x in line to charge*

Well that was my point. If there is a virtual queue with 8 stalls filled, and 5 people in line. Person #1 are in the coffee shop and get a notification that its their turn to charge, so they leave and get into their car only to their dismay, #4 guy pulled up into the empty stall because he sat in his car and wait.

Now it won't let him charge of course, but #1 is still SOL until #4 moves or until someone else vacates a charging stall. Nothing really to stop #4 from waiting in the stall until #1, #2 & #3 pull into a different stall and move the queue along. If #4 was waiting in his car along, he might just prefer to sit in his car and wait at the stall he can't use (yet). Nothing really anyone can do about that.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and oneday

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
...Now it won't let him charge of course, but #1 is still SOL until #4 moves or until someone else vacates a charging stall...

I heard Fountain Valley Supercharger was quite heated with tense arguments between 2 owners to defend their claim to be next.

The one who won the shouting match got into the stall to charge fine.

But...

The one who lost the shouting match then blocked the one who won so that both of their cars could go nowhere anytime soon!

NRA would love Florida Stand Your Ground Law to be rolled out at all Superchargers around the world!

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and KerryOH

SSedan

Jul 24, 2017
Greenville Wisconsin
Well that was my point. If there is a virtual queue with 8 stalls filled, and 5 people in line. Person #1 are in the coffee shop and get a notification that its their turn to charge, so they leave and get into their car only to their dismay, #4 guy pulled up into the empty stall because he sat in his car and wait.

Now it won't let him charge of course, but #1 is still SOL until #4 moves or until someone else vacates a charging stall. Nothing really to stop #4 from waiting in the stall until #1, #2 & #3 pull into a different stall and move the queue along. If #4 was waiting in his car along, he might just prefer to sit in his car and wait at the stall he can't use (yet). Nothing really anyone can do about that.

Easy fix, if not in your seat when you come up as #1 you go to the back of the line.

oneday

Nov 29, 2014
Bay Area
When we bought our car we were promised that the car would pull into Superchargers by itself. I'm sure that feature is going to be part of release 9 this month, so adding the automatic queuing should be easily available by the end of the year.
Since there hasn’t been any roll out of the snake charger, it doesn’t really do much good.

Another thing I’ve thought about: you park your car, plug in, then leave. This was a problem, they instituted idle fees because of this. What would be cool and definitely more low tech (less costly) than snake charger, an auto disconnect and some sort of cable that pulls the SC cable away from the car. Then your car gets out of the way for the next person. Definitely need snake for fully autonomous charging though.

Easy fix, if not in your seat when you come up as #1 you go to the back of the line.

Or just from #1 to #2. Don’t need to be penalized because you couldn’t hold it.

SilverSp33d3r

No Longer Silver
May 23, 2018
LA
Virtual queue with auto summon into spot. All we need is the chargers to connect themselves. Definitely a waste for a lot attendant but it might be a requirement with the leased spaces. Similar to a “valet” company posted up at a restaurant or mall.

A software queue could be included in the Tesla mobile app. A timer could tell you your place in the queue and, if you are next in line, how long you will have to wait (based on the charging times of the cars currently charging). If you don't get back to your car within a minute or two, you drop one place in the queue. If someone jumps the queue, the app should tell them so, not give them power and give them 1 minute to move their car before triggering Idle Fees. As some people may not plug the supercharger into the car, perhaps Idle Fees should be triggered by presence of the car at a supercharger but not charging.

trm2

Apr 3, 2016
CLE
Since there hasn’t been any roll out of the snake charger, it doesn’t really do much good.

Another thing I’ve thought about: you park your car, plug in, then leave. This was a problem, they instituted idle fees because of this. What would be cool and definitely more low tech (less costly) than snake charger, an auto disconnect and some sort of cable that pulls the SC cable away from the car. Then your car gets out of the way for the next person. Definitely need snake for fully autonomous charging though.

Or just from #1 to #2. Don’t need to be penalized because you couldn’t hold it.

Warning: Inner 12 year old speaking.

Couldn't hold which number?

Tesla just needs to build more chargers and stop giving away free in unlimited supercharging. They have gotten rid of the free unlimited supercharging so that is a good step forward. Now they need to build the crap out of the network and also fix the broken stations. They know which ones are broken, they just sometime take their sweet time to fix them.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC