Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Leesburg, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen some speculation about the location of a new Supercharger in Loudoun County, Virginia including at the Leesburg Outlets (which I think would be a great location). The pin on the Supercharger map says target opening 2019.
I have been following a somewhat controversial new gas station they are putting in north of Lucketts on Rte 15, they were promoting the fact that they would have EV chargers but I assumed they would be useless J1772s or possibly a CHAdeMO. I just read this article Controversial Rt. 15 Gas Station Approved by Loudoun Board which says:

"The application also comes with promises for 100 square feet inside the store to showcase products from Loudoun County, a pollinator garden and dog park, two electric vehicle charging stations including the county’s first Tesla Supercharger, and solar panels on the fuel pump canopy."

loudoun supercharger.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: techmaven
Wut... I read the article, but don't recall anything about Superchargers or solar or chargers at all, and I was looking. Wonder if it was updated... If they mean one of the Tesla Supercharger stations with solar, that's insane, that's like Kettleman City (which is nothing like the quantity we'd have here). I'd expect 8-10 stalls at the Lucketts location.

And the pin, as we see, is in Leesburg, which could have been a random location placeholder, of course. But using Route 15 traffic for Superchargers doesn't seem like a high traffic route that would warrant Supercharger placement to me...

So... reading that again... 'two charging stations'. This sounds more and more like a Destination Charger installation, with the normal one 1772 and one HPWC. Which makes a lot more sense for this location. But essentially useless for a 'gas station' environment. You'd get maybe 10 miles increase while getting a snack or using the facilities. And we've seen time and time again the confusion between the Destination Charger program and 'real' Supercharger locations.

And I read this in the LTM (Loudoun Times Mirror daily email), and this copy was in Loudoun Now. :D More detailed, slightly.

What do others think?

Yeah, and they have all the sites they haven't touched, near 66, like Gainesville, etc. This has to be another destination charger language mixup.

I am skeptical too given the general public's lack of understanding of the various types of EV chargers but the County already has some Tesla destination chargers (5 by my count) and the article mentioned this would be the first Tesla Supercharger.

I am skeptical too given the general public's lack of understanding of the various types of EV chargers but the County already has some Tesla destination chargers (5 by my count) and the article mentioned this would be the first Tesla Supercharger.
Yeah.... But the first Supercharger on 15? And it states 'two chargers'. WTF, is all I can say. :D The smallest site anywhere is, what, 6? 4? And that is in Montana? Wyoming? (ISTR from Now You Know's crosscountry videos, I'm pretty sure...) Two makes no sense. That's one charger cabinet. Not happening.

It really, 100%, does not add up. Someone is not connecting the right dots. I still say they jumped to Supercharger, and THEN went to 'first Supercharger in the county'.

That Leesburg pin is the only planned location in Loudoun County. I would think it was to serve people with Model 3's in townhomes and apartments and travelers near the Greenway and Route 5 and 15 downtown (and going to WV, etc.). Not on Route 15 up near the Point of Rocks bridge to Maryland. No way, no how. :D

That would seem odd...

However, the parking lot at the Outlets gets PACKED.... especially during holidays... not sure that's a great location either...
Yeah, I'm not saying where the Leesburg one should be (and it says currently says 2019, so, best case, it's for when they catch up with 2018, and we know how 2017 went...), but definitely somewhere near Greenway/7/15....

And the solar panels for the Lucketts station are on the gas pump canopy. Looks more and more like the 1772/HPWC combo just to have it. I doubt it gets any use. :(

two electric vehicle charging stations including the county’s first Tesla Supercharger,

I read this as two *stations* in the same way a gas station with lots of pumps is one *station*. So it could be, for example, one station with 4x public DC fast chargers (eg. Chademo/CCS) and one station with 8x Tesla superchargers. 2 stations, 12 stalls. (Number of stalls made up for this example)

I read this as two *stations* in the same way a gas station with lots of pumps is one *station*. So it could be, for example, one station with 4x public DC fast chargers (eg. Chademo/CCS) and one station with 8x Tesla superchargers. 2 stations, 12 stalls. (Number of stalls made up for this example)
Perhaps. But I really doubt that the reporter would make the distinction, and, we locals know this road and location. As said, there is one Supercharger location pin in Loudoun County. This better not be it. :D

And the other chargers, usually you can use only one of them at a time. Superchargers, you can use all of them. I still read that as more like the Tesla Destination Charger 'profile'. But we should see in a while.

While I believe the article's writer is also confusing supercharging with destination charging, I'll note that since this is an entirely new build, it might actually be the site owner putting the station in on their dime instead of Tesla having to come in with a crew after the fact and do the install.
And if that turns out to be the case, I would encourage any Tesla owner that stops and finds the charger occupied to complain to the station owner that they would have used the supercharger if it were unoccupied. Wouldn't it be fun if they eventually replaced a gas pump with a few superchargers?

Hm.... from what I read, if the approval is/was turned down, they would put up a metal prefab shack to sell cigarettes out of. This may be that open spot on the road where pickup trucks set up shop now to sell candy popcorn, and other such items, perhaps?

I'm just saying investing in a private Supercharger (well, paying the whole tab for Tesla to install one) doesn't seem quite likely. They are trying to be environmental to get the zoning/permits/whatever, but that's mostly for water runoff reasons (keep fuel out of the water table, lots of wells around that area), and they are putting solar on the gas canopy. Power is cheap in Virginia (I'm doing it and they are doing it for mostly future reasons, I expect... :D ).

I seriously can't imagine Superchargers and all the infrastructure they would need (the cost would be astronomical, this is not a business district).

We will see how this 'gas station' progresses, for sure!

And, from the linked article to the original, here's the actual location, under a mile by road to the Virginia/Maryland board on a two lane highway (for the non-locals).

upload_2018-7-6_19-12-52.png

Perhaps. But I really doubt that the reporter would make the distinction, and, we locals know this road and location. As said, there is one Supercharger location pin in Loudoun County. This better not be it. :D

I just took a bit more effort to look up the listed location on Google Maps. Whoah, that really is middle of nowhere! I mistakenly thought it would be in or near Leesburg, which would have been reasonable.

I also found this other article about the development but no further supercharger details.
Loudoun County supervisors approve controversial Leesburg North Landing gas station complex

Surely if this was voted upon by a county meeting the plan would have been available online somewhere?

Yeah, that was the original article I read in LTM, which has zilch about charging. I read that, and said, oh well, missed opportunity. Thus my comment at the OP's article which had the 'Supercharger' info. :)

Not sure if at this point the plans would have more than 'vehicle chargers' denoted somewhere, details TBD. People just 'assume' a Tesla charger is a Supercharger. <sigh> The architect/developers/owners may actually think that's what they are looking at. Unless they have been well-informed, they have no idea on the differences and time-to-charge and usefulness in the time one would spend at their store (Level 2 being useless, pretty much).

And, I've found some plans, let me see if there's any detail on 'charging' in them. More to come.

So, what the Proffer statement says, precisely, is:

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations.
The Owner shall install two electric vehicle charging stations on the Property to serve the motoring public.

Can you get any more vague?

Their Facebook post discussing the whole project says, in part:

"We'll also install Loudoun's very first electric-vehicle (EV) charging stations north of Leesburg."

Someone has conflated the two concepts; I don't even see that mentioned there, but has to be the Destination Charger program.

Here's the website for the location, not much content yet.

The plans have no mention of anything 'Tesla' or 'Supercharger'. I conjecture someone involved said the word 'Tesla' to someone, that got to the LT reporter, and that turned 'EV Charger' into 'Supercharger', as earlier stories (January) did not have that tidbit.

This project and its trying to get approval has been going on for a while; it didn't come to our (in the southern part of the county) attention until now since (1) it's in the very northern part of the county and unless you live north of Leesburg, you don't go there unless driving to Maryland via Point of Rocks bridge and (2) until the word Supercharger appeared, we had no reason to take notice of a new 'gas station' that was going to offer a couple of 'EV chargers' a year or so from now. :D

So, seems like another red herring like the 'Fairfax Superchargers'.

I may have found the source of "the county’s first Tesla Supercharger" mentioned in the Loudoun Now news reports.

The property owner during his presentation to the Board of Supervisors at the June 13, 2018 Public Hearing (video at 41:30) said:

We likewise were approached by a number of folks, and there’s a gentleman on the planning commission that has a Tesla, and is interested in electric vehicle charging. We talked to Chair Randall (of the Board of Supervisors) about that when we met late last year, and we’ve included two electric charging stations. Some people have said, you know what, nobody is going to come and charge for eight hours. We know that. What we’re looking at is Tesla Supercharging stations. It'll be the first Tesla Supercharging stations in the county, we’re proud of that. And no other gas station has that.

Here is the Planning Commission web page. Which one of the members owns a Tesla?

Last edited:
Hm..... okay, so, even if the owners ‘agreed’ to this for the benefit of a board member’s vote (theoretically) they can’t know what NOVEC or whoever is going to charge for this. If it’s even possible.

Are there any private Superchargers (as in Tesla didn’t pay to have them installed, not, I want my own in my garage), really? We keep hearing about one but I don’t think I’ve seen that confirmed.

Hm..... okay, so, even if the owners ‘agreed’ to this for the benefit of a board member’s vote (theoretically) they can’t know what NOVEC or whoever is going to charge for this. If it’s even possible.

Are there any private Superchargers (as in Tesla didn’t pay to have them installed, not, I want my own in my garage), really? We keep hearing about one but I don’t think I’ve seen that confirmed.
There is precedence in Europe.
European SuperCharger rollout updated
Karlskrona Sweden.

There is precedence in Europe.
European SuperCharger rollout updated
Karlskrona Sweden.
Right, that’s a private one. I meant a public one that someone paid for. These guys want one installed that is not on Tesla’s plan. I don’t think that has been done before. Looks like they (Tesla) may do it based on the private one, but I’m sure they (owners here) have no idea what they are asking for (cost-wise) and what the infrastructure requirements are.

Right, that’s a private one. I meant a public one that someone paid for. These guys want one installed that is not on Tesla’s plan. I don’t think that has been done before. Looks like they (Tesla) may do it based on the private one, but I’m sure they (owners here) have no idea what they are asking for (cost-wise) and what the infrastructure requirements are.
The Sweden one isn't listed on Tesla's supercharger page, AND it's free for all to use.....