Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Leesburg, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: scaesare
I may have found the source of "the county’s first Tesla Supercharger" mentioned in the Loudoun Now news reports.

The property owner during his presentation to the Board of Supervisors at the June 13, 2018 Public Hearing (video at 41:30) said:

We likewise were approached by a number of folks, and there’s a gentleman on the planning commission that has a Tesla, and is interested in electric vehicle charging. We talked to Chair Randall (of the Board of Supervisors) about that when we met late last year, and we’ve included two electric charging stations. Some people have said, you know what, nobody is going to come and charge for eight hours. We know that. What we’re looking at is Tesla Supercharging stations. It'll be the first Tesla Supercharging stations in the county, we’re proud of that. And no other gas station has that.

Here is the Planning Commission web page. Which one of the members owns a Tesla?

The fact that they knew the relative time difference between L2 destination-style charging and Superchargers means somebody at least has the correct concept of what they are talking about...

Do we have a Loudoun County resident willing to contact members of the Planning Commission with something like the following? (suggestions to improve this draft are welcome)

DRAFT:
SUBJECT: Proffered EV Charging Station at Leesburg North Landing Gas Station

Dear Commissioner,

I am a resident of Loudoun County and I drive a Tesla electric car.

The applicant to build a gas station on Rt. 15 near Lucketts proffered to include two electric vehicle charging stations. During a presentation to the Board of Supervisors at the June 13, 2018 Public Hearing, the applicant stated these will be the first Tesla Supercharging stations in the county.

As an electric vehicle driver, I understand that there are different kinds of EV charging stations with varying charging speeds, connector types and expense. There is a big difference in the usefulness of a normal "Level 2" EV charging station that can take many hours to recharge and a Tesla Supercharger that can recharge my car in about 30 minutes.

Can you tell me if the applicant has secured an agreement with the Tesla company, which he would need, in order to fulfill his pledge to install a Tesla Supercharger?​

Reactions: jthompson
Yeah.... But the first Supercharger on 15? And it states 'two chargers'. WTF, is all I can say. :D The smallest site anywhere is, what, 6? 4? And that is in Montana? Wyoming? (ISTR from Now You Know's crosscountry videos, I'm pretty sure...) Two makes no sense. That's one charger cabinet. Not happening.

It really, 100%, does not add up. Someone is not connecting the right dots. I still say they jumped to Supercharger, and THEN went to 'first Supercharger in the county'.

That Leesburg pin is the only planned location in Loudoun County. I would think it was to serve people with Model 3's in townhomes and apartments and travelers near the Greenway and Route 5 and 15 downtown (and going to WV, etc.). Not on Route 15 up near the Point of Rocks bridge to Maryland. No way, no how. :D

Interestingly, the smallest Supercharger installation that I'm aware of is in Milford (northbound I-95), Connecticut, with two (2) pedestals and one (1) cabinet. It's plausible that the Route 15 location could be getting a similar type of installation, although it would surprise me. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Last edited:
Interestingly, the smallest Supercharger installation that I'm aware of is in Milford (northbound I-95), Connecticut, with two (2) pedestals and one (1) cabinet. It's plausible that the Route 15 location could be getting a similar type of installation, although it would surprise me. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
Very interesting. But I bet they didn't pay for it themselves. :D

Seriously, this whole topics reeks of misunderstanding on the part of the business owners, as the 'conversation' seems to add up to 'we will volunteer to install Superchargers since Destination Chargers are too slow'. I'm all for Superchargers anywhere and everywhere if they are part of the Tesla buildout, but I really doubt any landowner will get their money's worth out of an installation, when it's a convenience store.

Royal Farms, for example, you can stay there for 30 minutes easy, use the facilities, eat their food at their tables, and definitely add to their business. This R15 Gas Station, I'm not sure, if the installation would ever pay off. Especially if Tesla does install another Supercharger station more central to Leesburg....

Technically you are right but the Milford I95 N rest stop across the highway also has 2 charging spots as well with another single cabinet. There is also a new Milford station with 14 spots just off the highway now.

I am from the NE but regularly visit family in Loudoun county. Its always a struggle to charge while there so I'm keeping tabs on this SC discussion. My 2 cents is while per the above I agree the Lucketts location is unlikely to happen it would be very useful for me as I occasionally avoid I95 on my drive down or back and take 78 which eventually puts me on 15 into Loudoun County past Harrisburg. Being able to top off just before arriving would be great.

Reactions: boaterva
And I got a response from them on Facebook. They have requested (from Tesla) the installation of Superchargers for the location.

Since Tesla's own 'projections' only show the one location in all of Loudoun County, this should be interesting. All of us in the area know there could be a lot of future owners and traffic through, if not owners in, the metro Leesburg area. Whether a site on Route 15 to Maryland (Point of Rocks, the river crossing bridge, etc., towards Frederick) warrants that sort of investment would be interesting for them to evaluate. How many current owners and Model 3 reservations (a little harder to count/plan with open orders now!) are there in the area?

If I was starting a pool for the Leesburg location, I would still put my money (and the location) further back toward 7/15/267, see below.

For non-locals:

The top arrow is about where the site we've been discussing is to be located, just south of Point of Rocks bridge over the Potomac River, and the 'downtown' Leesburg ring-road (7 and 15) and Greenway (267) confluence is denoted by my lower arrow; the land to the right is Maryland, of course. (The Greenway/267 actually does connect to 15, no idea why the map looks like it doesn't, 15 is Exit 1A/B on 267.)

Tesla has the usual placeholder for a site in 'Leesburg', and we have no info to date, besides the 'Opening in 2019' date on the pin.

upload_2018-7-11_12-7-49.png

• Helpful
Reactions: SureValla
And I got a response from them on Facebook. They have requested (from Tesla) the installation of Superchargers for the location.

Did they specify how many stalls they'd like Tesla to install or how many they ASKED them to install?
I see it becoming an interesting parking dilemma if they let Tesla put in 8 and I also see Tesla being less than enthusiastic about only 2.

Did they specify how many stalls they'd like Tesla to install or how many they ASKED them to install?
I see it becoming an interesting parking dilemma if they let Tesla put in 8 and I also see Tesla being less than enthusiastic about only 2.
Nope, just a ‘request’. Yeah, now that we know a two-staller exists somewhere, who knows. However, I would have to think out there, a good piece of the puzzle is getting power to the location. Novec has to charge a pretty penny for Supercharger-level power up art 15. I can’t believe it’s already nearby. Anyone know what kV/kA levels we need? I would think once a site has power, extra stalls aren’t that big a deal.

Or am I missing something? Of course, I still bet on ‘downtown’ placement since you would get traffic going to WV also...

My bet/vote would be Leesburg Outlets. Tesla seems to like placing Superchargers at outlet malls...and I also sent a request to Tesla a while back to have them placed there so... :)
Lol, exactly. That would be my ‘request’ also. I didn’t realize until I started to make that map snippet how far up the road the new convenience store really was.

The Leesburg Outlet is right next to the Greenway exit and if they pick a good corner of the parking lot, would be excellent for local, and trips to MS and WV.

So, I had another response on Facebook, and the owner has said he's reaching out to Tesla to 'request Superchargers' and wondered if I/we would support their request:
RT 15 Fuel and Market We indicated to the Board of Supervisors that our request to Tesla would be for superchargers. We knew that Tesla’s folks would not entertain our request until after we had zoning and special exception approval. We received our approvals from the Board on July 3 and contacted Tesla shortly thereafter. We are currently in discussions with Tesla about our request. I am personally not familiar with the details of exactly what superchargers would be potentially located on our property. What is your interest? Are you willing to support our request to Tesla?

I pointed him at tesla.com/findus to show there's only one location 'projected' in Loudoun for/through at least 2019, as we've discussed, and, I don't really know what 'support' means, as I don't ever recall anyone knowing about a tentative location before it was actually locked up and permitted and in process.

Anyone know of people 'voting'/'weighing in'/'supporting' different locations in an area?

I personally think this would be a good location for 4 to 6 SX
So, I had another response on Facebook, and the owner has said he's reaching out to Tesla to 'request Superchargers' and wondered if I/we would support their request:

I pointed him at tesla.com/findus to show there's only one location 'projected' in Loudoun for/through at least 2019, as we've discussed, and, I don't really know what 'support' means, as I don't ever recall anyone knowing about a tentative location before it was actually locked up and permitted and in process.

Anyone know of people 'voting'/'weighing in'/'supporting' different locations in an area?

I think it would be a decent location for a small set of Superchargers - perhaps four.

US-15 is a well-traveled corridor for both commuters and weekend travelers. While the location offers an alternative to the usual mall or shopping center, it isn’t convenient enough or large enough to serve travelers and residents outside of the immediate US-15 corridor.

I don’t think this should get priority over Leesburg and Frederick unless Tesla is having trouble finding suitable sites/partners, so my “support” for this site is only in addition to Superchargers for Loudon and Frederick.