Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Louisville, KY (9500 Preston Hwy)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went by several days ago. Took somr pictures looks like transformer hasn't been set yet Gonna be a bit longer
20210901_164835.jpg
20210901_164841.jpg
20210901_164926.jpg
20210901_164941.jpg

It is not in my cars either and we planned on stopping there.

Plugshare is showing last check-in on Oct 7th. Cannot see in plugshare what time on the 7th, just that it was on the 7th. Person did not leave any comments, just noted a check-in which I'd take to say they charged successfully. I've remote from my car so I can not comment on whether it's showing in the on-board NAV display yet.

Any good reason why Tesla and other online routing services send me to the original Louisville Supercharger rather than this one when going north on I-65? Have not tried in the car yet. Hate driving 5 miles east on I-264 and 5 miles back. Always 30 MPH bumper to bumper traffic often complete stop.

Any good reason why Tesla and other online routing services send me to the original Louisville Supercharger rather than this one when going north on I-65? Have not tried in the car yet. Hate driving 5 miles east on I-264 and 5 miles back. Always 30 MPH bumper to bumper traffic often complete stop.
What "other online routing services"? Google maps? Are you looking at it in advance and using the time option that takes into account traffic at that time of day?
I would think that ABRP and Tesla take into account the version/charging_speed of each particular Supercharger (v2 150; v3 250).

“Have not tried in the car yet.” Why not? If you are using nav other than what is built into your Tesla, don’t be surprised that it routes you suboptimally. In-car navigation systems have a bad rap, such that many new Tesla owners refuse to try the built-in system. I always use it, even if going to a place I know directions by heart. Traffic will guide you (my heart cannot) and may start heating the battery, if it might prove useful (no other navigation system can do that yet.

As @scottf200 asks… what are you using that routes you to Gardiner Lane?

Reactions: scottf200
What "other online routing services"? Google maps? Are you looking at it in advance and using the time option that takes into account traffic at that time of day?
I would think that ABRP and Tesla take into account the version/charging_speed of each particular Supercharger (v2 150; v3 250).
No Google for me.

EV Trip Planner is one that routes through the north Supercharger. I thought Tesla’s Find Me also provided a route but I can’t find that now. What I found just now did nothing but point to point via Google Maps.

supercharge.info was another.

“Have not tried in the car yet.” Why not?
I have only owned the car 8 years. I have learned not to blindly trust the fool navigation. Have often seen outrageously wrong routes. Perhaps the worst was when it insisted I take US-231 from the Bowling Green Supercharger through Gallatin TN to Nashville rather than I-65. There was no traffic or accidents on I-65 on the Tesla map or Waze. I-65 worked fine but the car nav kept trying to turn off.

I want to know a sane solution ahead of time to have something against which to judge what the car suggests.

The in-car routing does not allow multiple waypoints. You get the waypoints and Superchargers the car chooses. You can not force stops at intermediate Superchargers to explore optimizing stops. The only choice is to simply drive your route anyway and let it recalculate.

What I am finding is that I should stop at most every Supercharger to charge faster at lower SOC. Studying options to possibly bypass Bowling Green because it is so far off I-65. Splash and go at Elizabethtown, and maybe the same in Fishers IN. Sure would be nice to have something between Louisville and Indianapolis.

No Google for me.

EV Trip Planner is one that routes through the north Supercharger. I thought Tesla’s Find Me also provided a route but I can’t find that now. What I found just now did nothing but point to point via Google Maps.

supercharge.info was another.

ABetterRoutePlanner (ABRP) would be my first choice. I've used many of them over the years. There is a Tesla Trips (Go Anywhere | Tesla) but it is a sales tool (with only latest cars) and not for roadtrips.

I have only owned the car 8 years. I have learned not to blindly trust the fool navigation. Have often seen outrageously wrong routes. Perhaps the worst was when it insisted I take US-231 from the Bowling Green Supercharger through Gallatin TN to Nashville rather than I-65. There was no traffic or accidents on I-65 on the Tesla map or Waze. I-65 worked fine but the car nav kept trying to turn off.

I want to know a sane solution ahead of time to have something against which to judge what the car suggests.

The in-car routing does not allow multiple waypoints. You get the waypoints and Superchargers the car chooses. You can not force stops at intermediate Superchargers to explore optimizing stops. The only choice is to simply drive your route anyway and let it recalculate.

What I am finding is that I should stop at most every Supercharger to charge faster at lower SOC. Studying options to possibly bypass Bowling Green because it is so far off I-65. Splash and go at Elizabethtown, and maybe the same in Fishers IN. Sure would be nice to have something between Louisville and Indianapolis.
A lot has changed in even the past year in the routing AND with the number of superchargers added in the past couple years. Meaning I don't think your 8 years of car ownership as far as navigation lessons is relevant anymore. Not trying to be mean just saying a LOT has changed in my several years of ownership and probably 80K of roadtripping.

2021.40.6 added multiple waypoints for the in-car routing.

I agree with stopping at lower SOCs. If I'm getting close to a lower SOC I often just navigate to the Supercharger directly so I can watch the details in the energy display application ... especially projected range given the last 30 miles. That is outstanding.

Reactions: Ciaopec
The in-car nav does now allow you the ability to add intermediate waypoints. That was a relatively new addition last in 2021 and I know at the time was only available if you have MCU2. Given @N4HHE says they've owned their car for 8 years, it's clearly was originally an MCU1 configuration, so if not upgraded to MCU2. That may be the difference in views on this capability.

Now I know recently there have been some updated builds pushed or MCU1 cars, but since I upgraded to MCU2 in mid-December 2021, I'm not personally connected to the MCU1 feature releases. I will say this was one of the features that I had spotted being released became my tipping point and bite the bullet, spend the $1500 for the MCU2 upgrade.

I also started using EVTripplanner almost 6 years ago, before ABRP I think was even released. At the time, it seemed to be viewed as the best around for route planning. I still use EVTripplanner as my first default for advanced route planning, but realize it's not been actively maintained for a couple years. It does still in time pick up new supercharger locations, but doesn't recognize distinction in charging rates between V2 or V3 stations, and for my mid-2016 MS90D, doesn't consider that fact that the max charge rate has actually increased in past couple years given Tesla updates, although with a different taper curve. ABRP is better in this regard, but honestly, I find it clunkier to use/customize and still long for the ease of use of EVTripplanner but with up to date routing engine for charging.

I also will agree I've been puzzled at times with routing by the in-car NAV. One thing I noticed during a trip around year end holidays is that it seemed to be starting to take into consideration how busy different superchargers are when there are multiple options available near your route. I saw this as I was traveling up from central Ohio over past Erie PA and into NY. Macadonia, OH was the only choice in the Cleveland area on that route up to just recently with a couple other new superchargers now open at Strongsville and Brooklyn, OH. NAV kept bouncing back and forth between which of the 3 locations it wanted me to stop as routing as the number of open stalls kept changing (I had ample remaining charge to get to any of the 3 with ~20% left). I let NAV ping-pong back and forth for a while, but frankly became annoying and I locked in mentally on which I wanted to use, canceled the trip and then routed directly to my preferred stop.

I have no idea if some of the observations people have recently around it preferring to your to one location in Louisville versus the other might be the NAV now reacting more to number of reported open stalls and trying to balance demand per location.