Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Louisville, KY - Towne Center Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of right now the official Tesla site says "Louisville, KY (East) Coming Soon Target opening in 2020 Exact timing and specific location may vary"

There is a Meijer in this area at 4101 Towne Center Dr, Louisville, KY 40241. Meijer is very accommodating to Tesla Superchargers in this region so this seemed like the logical place for this super charger to go.

While I haven't been able to find any information about zoning or permitting yet, there appears to be construction starting at the west corner of the parking lot. Exact location here: Google Maps It is unclear what this construction is for, but I have a guess.

I took a picture and the construction really looked like the type of conduit used in Supercharger construction.

Wrr0mKi.jpg

The one thing that doesn't make sense though is they are blocking off a sizable portion of the parking lot. Way larger than I would have expected for this construction. Depending on where they are trenching for power though this may be why. Right now most of the construction seems to be related to erecting a temporary fence.

HHCAG9D.jpg

Thoughts? Does this look like the new Supercharger location? Can anyone find any permit information to confirm this?

Reactions: MarcoRP and mociaf9
Thoughts? Does this look like the new Supercharger location? Can anyone find any permit information to confirm this?
Nice discovery! I found the following issued fencing permit for that location which confirms that a supercharger is likely to be built there imminently: BLD-FEN-20-00001
Project Description: Tesla EV Charging Installation - Fencing Installation
Installation of Tesla electric vehicle charging equipment within existing parking lot at 4100 Towne Center Drive. Installation includes Trex Fencing enclosure to securely enclose charging equipment including: Electrical meter, Switchgear, Tesla charging cabinets & Master Controller.

So, it certainly looks like that will be the supercharger, though there isn't anything in your pictures that is totally definitive yet.

Address: 4100 Towne Center Dr, Louisville, KY 40241
GPS: 38.299000, -85.556056

@Chuq @MarcoRP

Reactions: nogajim and MarcoRP
The current Louisville charger never reaches 150kW no matter how low your SOC when you arrive. The max I ever get is approx 110kW (about 450mi/hr). I've tried complaining to Tesla, but they claim the charger is working normally.

The current Louisville charger never reaches 150kW no matter how low your SOC when you arrive. The max I ever get is approx 110kW (about 450mi/hr). I've tried complaining to Tesla, but they claim the charger is working normally.
It could be your car. When I was maxing out at 80 kW (often in LouisvilIe) at low SOC I was marching to a replacement battery in my P85D.

I would echo what GoodOmens said. I posted in the actual Louisville forum which ones I found were working and which ones were stopping every 2 minutes.
It would be really helpful if people would also post failing/broken stalls on plug share. It's difficult to follow every TMC forum for all superchargers. But a quick check on plug share before venturing to a new SC can help know which stalls to avoid.

Maybe this is why they havent bothered to fix the supercharger over by sullivan college. Those chargers have been jacked up for quite awhile. Maybe once this new station is up and running, they will update it to a v3 supercharing station. I hope they dont shut it down altogether. Louisville could use both stations.

I actually never even thought of that. Has that happened anywhere? Open one set of Superchargers and close a problem child down somewhere else? From what I hear the Sullivan set always has issues with either broken stalls or low charging issues. I sure hope they don’t shut Sullivan down totally when this one opens up. They need to just adequately repair them. As you mention maybe when this gets up they’ll rework Sullivan or actually fix them appropriately.

Ski

I actually never even thought of that. Has that happened anywhere? Open one set of Superchargers and close a problem child down somewhere else? From what I hear the Sullivan set always has issues with either broken stalls or low charging issues. I sure hope they don’t shut Sullivan down totally when this one opens up. They need to just adequately repair them. As you mention maybe when this gets up they’ll rework Sullivan or actually fix them appropriately.

Ski
I would seriously doubt they would close the Sullivan one down. They need a Louisville SC close to I-65 for through traffic on that interstate. The new one will be too far of a diversion and seems like it's more for I-71 to I-64 traffic or an alternate to I-64 through traffic. There are "coming soon" stations planned for Seymour and Elizabethtown but for now that existing one is critical for I-65.

V1 was the first generation, max 90kW. I don’t know if they even exist. V2 is the predominant version. Thank goodness this one will be closer to the main flow of traffic.

Maybe my terminology is incorrect. I'll just say pre-V2...

We have an early Supercharger in NC (Burlington, NC) that was one of the early ones and it was not (and I've been told cannot) be upgraded to 150kW operation (I'm assuming this was V1--or pre-V2, whichever you prefer), and in fact the in-car nav apparently does list the limit of this SC at 120kW, whereas V2 Superchargers are listed as 150kW. I would think that there are still quite a few V1 Superchargers out there in the wild.

BTW, I think the early Superchargers did not have a limit of 90kW, but rather the early Teslas did.