Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lowell, AR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
Reported on reddit's /r/superchargers by /u/jshaddo: Finally another supercharger in Arkansas!! : superchargers

Apparently, there's a new supercharger going in at the Workman's Travel Center (truck stop/gas station) right off I-49 in Lowell, AR. This is about 15 miles north of Fayetteville, AR and is almost exactly between Joplin, MO and Fort Smith, AR at just over 70 miles to both cities. Most likely, this is the actual location for Tesla's Fayetteville "coming soon" pin. The picture from the reddit post only shows 5 stalls, but I doubt that's the actual number. More likely to be at least 6 or 8, but we'll need some better pics of the area and/or ground work to know for sure.

Address: 898 W Monroe Ave, Lowell, AR 72745
GPS (guess): 36.255329, -94.152637

@BlueShift @Chuq @MarcoRP

Now added, thanks!

Funny, complaints about lack of SCs in Arkansas has been an ongoing thing, some of the gaps are fairly large for lower range models... and this one isn't even on any of the major routes!

However it's a good sign, and it may be an indication of additional sites in the area.

This likely replaces the Bentonville, AR pin on the Tesla findus map.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Lowell over Fort Smith - interesting choice.

That's the first thing I thought too - Fort Smith would have broken a virtually uncrossable gap between OKC and Little Rock on I-40. Maybe later.
It's quite possible there's one under construction in Fort Smith that just hasn't been discovered yet. They often have crews working on multiple locations at once so hopefully Fort Smith will come online around the same time as Lowell.

Here in Colorado, we knew of a Supercharger under construction in a planned location. Out of the blue, someone found two more unannounced locations that are also under construction. We haven't had any new Superchargers in over a year and a half and now we might have 3 (or 4 or 5?) in the next couple of weeks!

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Lowell over Fort Smith - interesting choice.

Both Fayetteville/Bentonville (Lowell) and Ft Smith have been identified as "coming soon" for several years, though Ft Smith was expected to be first (probably actually at Alma or Van Buren by junction of I-40 and I-49).

This new Supercharger is 203 miles from the Supercharger in Little Rock, so viable for longer range Tesla vehicles going that route. Its probably a pretty low volume route, except for people from the South East going to Walmart's HQ in Bentonville.

A 250 mile trip up I-49 & US-71 from Texarkana, so not really viable from that direction at the moment, unless the driver wants to divert via Little Rock (or drive at 45 mph). :(

Conclusion: Good place for a Supercharger, provided it is one of several that Tesla are adding, but only really useful if Tesla also builds one at Ft Smith/Alma/Van Buren.
Looks like Arkansas might be getting some love ! :)

Both Fayetteville/Bentonville (Lowell) and Ft Smith have been identified as "coming soon" for several years, though Ft Smith was expected to be first (probably actually at Alma or Van Buren by junction of I-40 and I-49).

This new Supercharger is 203 miles from the Supercharger in Little Rock, so viable for longer range Tesla vehicles going that route. Its probably a pretty low volume route, except for people from the South East going to Walmart's HQ in Bentonville.

A 250 mile trip up I-49 & US-71 from Texarkana, so not really viable from that direction at the moment, unless the driver wants to divert via Little Rock (or drive at 45 mph). :(

Conclusion: Good place for a Supercharger, provided it is one of several that Tesla are adding, but only really useful if Tesla also builds one at Ft Smith/Alma/Van Buren.
Looks like Arkansas might be getting some love ! :)

from Little Rock to Lowell has quite a bit of elevation gain, so 203 miles will be a stretch even for long range cars.

from Little Rock to Lowell has quite a bit of elevation gain, so 203 miles will be a stretch even for long range cars.
Until Tesla gets their I-40 superchargers built, don't forget that there's an Electrify America station at the Walmart in Clarksville, AR. So, people with access to a CHAdeMO adapter can make this no sweat as it splits the 203 mile trip up into two ~100 mile legs.

Clarksville may have an EA station, but I'm not going to drop $400+ on a Chademo adapter I'll use once or twice until Tesla gets the Supercharger location there. I cannot take delivery of our Model Y, getting rid of our Volt until Clarksville or Fort Smith have a Supercharger. Preferably Clarksville, as it is beneficial going to Fayetteville as well.

Clarksville may have an EA station, but I'm not going to drop $400+ on a Chademo adapter I'll use once or twice until Tesla gets the Supercharger location there. I cannot take delivery of our Model Y, getting rid of our Volt until Clarksville or Fort Smith have a Supercharger. Preferably Clarksville, as it is beneficial going to Fayetteville as well.

Do you have any local clubs that have a CHAdeMO adapter available to loan/rent out?

Reactions: DurandalAI
Now added, thanks!

Funny, complaints about lack of SCs in Arkansas has been an ongoing thing, some of the gaps are fairly large for lower range models... and this one isn't even on any of the major routes!

However it's a good sign, and it may be an indication of additional sites in the area.
Not going to argue that it is a truly "major route," but I-49 is supposed to be completed at some point and will run from Kansas City all the way to New Orleans. But yeah there is much more long distance travel along I-40 than I-49 for sure. Still, I'd like to see the entire interstate system completed. It's ridiculous that they've had it 90+% completed for 2 years now and have not finished the job.

Reactions: DurandalAI