TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Lubbock, TX

Discussion in 'Texas Supercharger locations' started by timpierc, Dec 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hydrocarbon302

I sent a couple requests for future EV charger information to the Lubbock city and tourism website. They’ll probably tell me to go back to California, but hey it’s worth a shot. At this point a 50kw public chademo station (that functions) would be nice.

• Like x 1
  2. reddy

reddy Member

You would think that EV America would locate one here too. Unfortunately they have copied the Tesla site locations, good and bad, and failed to recognize places like Lubbock which would attract all EV owners, Tesla and non-Tesla.

• Like x 1
  3. Hydrocarbon302

I spoke with an anonymous person today that said Tesla had plans to put chargers in Lubbock a couple years ago, they even had land leased but the hosting business owner refused to allow them to install chargers. When they approached other businesses about installing chargers they get hit with higher than acceptable rent/lease fees.

So if y’all want a charger in Lubbock, I suggest we start emailing local businesses and request for them to work with Tesla to install chargers.

I can think of a few good candidates:

West Target in Canyon West shopping center
    North Pilot Truck Stop
    Very North Loves Travel Center (probably too far north)
    South Holiday inn, La Quinta, super 8 (there’s not much else within walking distance though)
    Any of the 6 Walmart’s

I tend to think that places that are along a highway, are open 24hours, have access to bathrooms and sell drinks and snacks to be the best options, but I’d be happy with anything at this point.

• Like x 2
  4. reddy

reddy Member

There was a utility survey done at the Buddy Holly Center on Crickets Ave and 18th over 2 years ago. Given the lack of progress since then, your story is probably correct.

5. HillCountryFun

Great idea, I’ll send some out and post the locations afterwards!

6. Hydrocarbon302

I sent in a request to United supermarkets to see if they’d be interested in EV charging and to contact the Tesla Retail charging team. Specifically the location on 50th street.

I got a generic response but if you guys want to pile on...

[email protected]

7. Hydrocarbon302

Email from South Plains Mall about Level 2 charging.

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
  8. reddy

reddy Member

Malls are all very impaired right now. Their occupancy levels are horrible and they are all losing money. I don't see them making many capital intensive projects until the public health emergency is over.

9. Hydrocarbon302

Agreed. Couldn't hurt to ask though, or at least put a bug in their ear about it. They're going to be looking for ways to increase customer traffic now and especially after the "end of the world" is over.

10. electricglider

Maybe they should partner with Volta like Simon Malls has done so far. Not sure how much investment it takes but I would assume it's less than other EV charging solutions since the Ad-support is what pays for the chargers.

Volta Charging - The Most Utilized EV Charging Stations

11. Becks432

Becks432 Member

New Opening is targeted at 2022 via Tesla Supercharger map

12. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

The Lubbock supercharger has been 2 years from opening for 7 years.

• Like x 1
  13. Hydrocarbon302

Sigh, this is disappointing.

Hey Elon, Its lonely here on the back burner!

Unrelated question: What would happen if 100 Tesla M3/MY's traveled north from Midland to Amarillo TX, and left Midland with 100% charge, and they all ran out of battery around Plainview? What would happen if they all called tesla road side at the same time, for running out of battery???? Think anyone would get the hint?

• Like x 1
  14. Hydrocarbon302

There are a couple new Circle K service stations going in according to TDLR project search.

I’ve sent an email to CKs customer service and vender departments asking them to consider contacting Tesla about installing DCFCs. If anyone wants to do the same....

Contact | Circle K

Vendor Request Form | Circle K

CK has a mixed history on EVs, first they say EVs will never be popular, and now they’re installing chargers all over Norway.

Maybe Lubbock can get some love soon.

• Like x 2