Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lubbock, TX

blecchus_rex

May 23, 2018
Texas, USA
My personal preference is a 24 hour truck stop type location. Feels more secure. Always have restrooms available & a quick snack if needed.

With a Model 3 & V3 chargers the stop really isn't that long to worry about where to eat if it isn't basically attached.

Again, my personal preference. It's a bit longer with our S but still nothing I would consider heading to a sit-down restaurant.
I understand the sentiment wrt lightning and having something open 24 hours.... but FWIW my neighbor's brother is a TX State Trooper. He's always ready to regale us w/ stories of how much of his time is demanded at truck stops. It's not a huge sample size, but the feeling of security at those places might be a bit spurious. It probably differs from one spot to another though.

Also, agreed that a v3 charger can make it a quick stop... but if I'm taking a break to charge on a long trip passing through I'll usually combine that with a bite to eat since I've had to come off the road anyway. The v3 charge times can make that tricky though for avoiding idle time & fees.

talmen

Feb 4, 2021
Abilene, TX
I'm curious where folks would prefer a supercharger in Lubbock be located. It's been a long time since I've spent any time at all there, but my recollection is that the more desirable areas (eateries and such) were on the West side of town clustered around the South Plains Mall and in the vicinity of the TTU campus. But as far as major thoroughfares passing through I'd guess something along I-27 or US 84 would make more sense. Perhaps if there's an obvious 1st and 2nd choice we could bring that form to the attention of the business owners in question.
My personal preference would be to place it along US-84 at the Chisum Travel Center right before the loop on SE side of Lubbock. That being said, I've noticed that Tesla likes to locate their superchargers near an interstate if the city/town has any so I'm willing to bet they may prefer something on or near I-27. I bet the I-27 and US-82(Martha Sharp Freeway) interchange looks alluring to them. Those are two heavily trafficked roads and that intersection would be convenient for most people that are traveling through.

That area around I-27/US-82 would probably be the logical choice and would work for most people that are coming up US-84 too that are going towards Amarillo/I-40 since they would just get on the loop when getting into town and drive to the I-27 exit. Maybe the Flying J right there? It would be out of the way for me a bit personally since I usually head out on TX-114 to Levelland when I drive up there but I'm probably a minority. I bet most people going up to Lubbock from US-84 are either heading in the Amarillo or Clovis directions. And Clovis is supposedly going to get a supercharger too, when ever Tesla gets around to it. That would be another route that would be a bit more convenient if your heading to or from New Mexico.

Last edited:

pb2000

Dec 22, 2019
Calgary
walnotr said:
...In other news, when we pulled into the Childress SC, a Tesla service mechanic was busy replacing one of the charge cords and was very talkative. He mentioned Lubbock has been permitted and should be starting construction in the near future. That will open up another quicker route going from I-20 to Amarillo...
Crosspost from the Clayton. NM thread.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
Crosspost from the Clayton. NM thread.
I'll repeat my response from over there. I really doubt it. No listing in the TDLR system (TABS), nothing in Lubbock's planning or permitting portal, and no one who keeps an eye on the Texas811 dig notices stuff has mentioned seeing something that is relevant.

Buddy Holly is getting renovated.... Could it be ???
Not fricking likely. That's just some random building/lot on Buddy Holly Ave. The Buddy Holly Center is on Crickets Ave. about 10 blocks from there.

talmen

Feb 4, 2021
Abilene, TX
Tesla has updated their ”coming soon” map to show Lubbock being online in Q1 of 2022.
They must have just changed that because I literally looked at their map yesterday and it did not have the update. Sure enough, it is there now... That is better that we have been seeing and we have established from previous posts with various people talking with Tesla reps in recent history that Lubbock is defiantly on their radar so maybe we're starting to see official progress towards it. I did check Lubbock permits this week and nothing specifically referencing Tesla has been submitted yet...

On the plus side, it will most certainly be a V3 charger.

I have a mobile service appointment on Monday (another one because the last time they came to fix the console, they brought the wrong part) and I might broach the topic and see if there is any more info I can get out of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ferengii
Jan 26, 2020
Andrews TX

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC