Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lubbock (SC), TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My personal preference is a 24 hour truck stop type location. Feels more secure. Always have restrooms available & a quick snack if needed.

With a Model 3 & V3 chargers the stop really isn't that long to worry about where to eat if it isn't basically attached.

Again, my personal preference. It's a bit longer with our S but still nothing I would consider heading to a sit-down restaurant.
I understand the sentiment wrt lightning and having something open 24 hours.... but FWIW my neighbor's brother is a TX State Trooper. He's always ready to regale us w/ stories of how much of his time is demanded at truck stops. It's not a huge sample size, but the feeling of security at those places might be a bit spurious. It probably differs from one spot to another though.

Also, agreed that a v3 charger can make it a quick stop... but if I'm taking a break to charge on a long trip passing through I'll usually combine that with a bite to eat since I've had to come off the road anyway. The v3 charge times can make that tricky though for avoiding idle time & fees.

I'm curious where folks would prefer a supercharger in Lubbock be located. It's been a long time since I've spent any time at all there, but my recollection is that the more desirable areas (eateries and such) were on the West side of town clustered around the South Plains Mall and in the vicinity of the TTU campus. But as far as major thoroughfares passing through I'd guess something along I-27 or US 84 would make more sense. Perhaps if there's an obvious 1st and 2nd choice we could bring that form to the attention of the business owners in question.
My personal preference would be to place it along US-84 at the Chisum Travel Center right before the loop on SE side of Lubbock. That being said, I've noticed that Tesla likes to locate their superchargers near an interstate if the city/town has any so I'm willing to bet they may prefer something on or near I-27. I bet the I-27 and US-82(Martha Sharp Freeway) interchange looks alluring to them. Those are two heavily trafficked roads and that intersection would be convenient for most people that are traveling through.

That area around I-27/US-82 would probably be the logical choice and would work for most people that are coming up US-84 too that are going towards Amarillo/I-40 since they would just get on the loop when getting into town and drive to the I-27 exit. Maybe the Flying J right there? It would be out of the way for me a bit personally since I usually head out on TX-114 to Levelland when I drive up there but I'm probably a minority. I bet most people going up to Lubbock from US-84 are either heading in the Amarillo or Clovis directions. And Clovis is supposedly going to get a supercharger too, when ever Tesla gets around to it. That would be another route that would be a bit more convenient if your heading to or from New Mexico.

Last edited:
walnotr said:
...In other news, when we pulled into the Childress SC, a Tesla service mechanic was busy replacing one of the charge cords and was very talkative. He mentioned Lubbock has been permitted and should be starting construction in the near future. That will open up another quicker route going from I-20 to Amarillo...
Crosspost from the Clayton. NM thread.

Crosspost from the Clayton. NM thread.
I'll repeat my response from over there. I really doubt it. No listing in the TDLR system (TABS), nothing in Lubbock's planning or permitting portal, and no one who keeps an eye on the Texas811 dig notices stuff has mentioned seeing something that is relevant.

Buddy Holly is getting renovated.... Could it be ???
Not fricking likely. That's just some random building/lot on Buddy Holly Ave. The Buddy Holly Center is on Crickets Ave. about 10 blocks from there.

Tesla has updated their ”coming soon” map to show Lubbock being online in Q1 of 2022.
They must have just changed that because I literally looked at their map yesterday and it did not have the update. Sure enough, it is there now... That is better that we have been seeing and we have established from previous posts with various people talking with Tesla reps in recent history that Lubbock is defiantly on their radar so maybe we're starting to see official progress towards it. I did check Lubbock permits this week and nothing specifically referencing Tesla has been submitted yet...

On the plus side, it will most certainly be a V3 charger.

I have a mobile service appointment on Monday (another one because the last time they came to fix the console, they brought the wrong part) and I might broach the topic and see if there is any more info I can get out of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ferengii
Tesla site now states Q1 2022 for Lubbock (...) fingers crossed
Tesla has been kicking this can down the road for several years now.

I scan the City of Lubbock permits and TDLR periodically. As of today, nothing on either site.

Lubbock is probably the biggest hole in the Texas supercharger system. I don't think there is another city this size in Texas missing a supercharger. And this is a critical place to connect Midland/Abilene to Amarillo / Tucumcari .

IMO, Lubbock is way overdue. You see a lot more Teslas in Amarillo than Lubbock. Not sure which is the chicken, or the egg on this.

Talked to a Model 3 owner yesterday, we were both Supercharging in Sweetwater, he said he was from Lubbock and that his sales guy said the new Lubbock Supercharger is going to be part of the new Lubbock Service Center. He indicated that it was planned for one of the Reagor Dykes location near Downtown Lubbock. He said the Service Center is scheduled to be opened in Q1 2022 which, of course, matches the schedule on the Supercharger map. Anyone else heard anything about the Service Center? I haven't looked yet to see if there's a thread on it -

That would be wonderful news for all of us. So far no permit has been issued, but that won't happen until construction is about to start. We might see a remodel permit for the service center too.

I just checked, and nothing like that has been permitted in Lubbock.

Talked to a Model 3 owner yesterday, we were both Supercharging in Sweetwater, he said he was from Lubbock and that his sales guy said the new Lubbock Supercharger is going to be part of the new Lubbock Service Center. He indicated that it was planned for one of the Reagor Dykes location near Downtown Lubbock. He said the Service Center is scheduled to be opened in Q1 2022 which, of course, matches the schedule on the Supercharger map. Anyone else heard anything about the Service Center? I haven't looked yet to see if there's a thread on it -

Hi All - I had a mobile service in Odessa last night and the tech was headed to Lubbock next. He indicated that he is going to be based out of the Lubbock service center, and that mobile service will be much more accessible when they open. The invoice also had a Lubbock address, so it looks very promising that we will have a bigger Tesla presence in Lubbock soon. Hopefully a supercharger comes alongside it!

Hi All - I had a mobile service in Odessa last night and the tech was headed to Lubbock next. He indicated that he is going to be based out of the Lubbock service center, and that mobile service will be much more accessible when they open. The invoice also had a Lubbock address, so it looks very promising that we will have a bigger Tesla presence in Lubbock soon. Hopefully a supercharger comes alongside it!

The address on my Ranger service has had a Lubbock address for a long time.

It is a Self Store company address, who accepts drop shipments and stores them until the Rangers pick them up for Amarillo and Lubbock service work.

I also did hear of a Lubbock service center, and that will be WONDERFUL when it does happen.

Reactions: rdrwtx
Looks like there is some movement in Lubbock.

I still don't see anything in the Lubbock Permits database or TDLR regarding any construction but a new mark has popped up on the Tesla Find Us map in Lubbock labeled as a Store or Gallery. It looks like this location is for doing demo / test drives. From what I can tell, the address they are using is a Holiday Inn? It's on Spur 327 between Martha Sharp and the Loop next to an Infiniti dealership.

Link: Find Us | Tesla

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Add me to the list of those who would really like to see a Supercharger in Lubbock. Though I live way down in McAllen, I have a brother in Denver. I need Lubbock so I can go from Sweetwater to Amarillo, then up to Clayton, NM and beyond. That would shave a lot of miles off of having to go to San Antonio, El Paso and up I 25.

Reactions: bruce4000 and reddy