Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lubbock (SC), TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has construction started on the Lubbock superchargers? Picking up my model 3 in a couple of weeks and planning a road trip. A quick charge in Lubbock would save a lot of miles.

Which way are you heading? Have you checked plugshare? There are a few HPWC available... not as fast as a Supercharger but might save you a detour. If you're passing through Andrews or Eunice I can probably set something up for you.

I've charged at the loop 289 RV park a couple times. Movies are within 'walking distance'... so that's another option...

Has construction started on the Lubbock superchargers? Picking up my model 3 in a couple of weeks and planning a road trip. A quick charge in Lubbock would save a lot of miles.
Yeah, give us a clue where you are traveling to/from and we can often help with routing or charging suggestions.. We can't help in building a Supercharger, or there would be a LOT more of them... :p

No permit has been issued as of yesterday. I check with them frequently, at least weekly.

If you are in Lubbock, you might check the Buddy Holly center for any activity periodically.

Sometimes you will see paint markers on the grass or asphalt, or Dig Tess flags even before the final permit is issued.

Or even better, ask the Buddy Holly people if they know anything.

Well I know that the new BestBuy has 30 amp chargepoint. Must have an account but it was free when i tried.

Also the Overton Hotel is now has 2 tesla destination charges.

But no news locally on the supercharger. Will update if I’m down that way and can check.

Well I know that the new BestBuy has 30 amp chargepoint. Must have an account but it was free when i tried.

But no news locally on the supercharger. Will update if I’m down that way and can check.

It's worth checking at the Buddy Holly center and see if they know anything.

I check the Lubbock permits and Dig Tess reports about twice a week. Nothing on either of them as of today.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf and BerTX

Thanks for the info around additional Level 2 chargers, good to know! Thanks again for checking on the Supercharger -

What's hard to believe is that such a big college town has so few chargers, period. Look at Plugshare. Amarillo has at least triple the number of destination chargers. Puts Lubbock to shame.
As pure speculation, it may have something to do with either the local electrical utility or the planning/zoning boards. Either technical or extra regulatory barriers could make it significantly harder to get them installed. Not that they need to be close to outright prohibited but that lots of extra work, filings, meetings, and all around time to get things done would raise the non-hardware costs of installs significantly. etc. I'm not claiming this actually is the case, only offering a potential explanation for what might lead to such a wide discrepancy between the two cities.

As pure speculation, it may have something to do with either the local electrical utility or the planning/zoning boards. Either technical or extra regulatory barriers could make it significantly harder to get them installed. Not that they need to be close to outright prohibited but that lots of extra work, filings, meetings, and all around time to get things done would raise the non-hardware costs of installs significantly. etc. I'm not claiming this actually is the case, only offering a potential explanation for what might lead to such a wide discrepancy between the two cities.

Maybe, sounds like something that needs to get fixed!