Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lubbock (SC), TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol I'm from/grew up in Lubbock Texas. Only way you're going to get EV chargers set up there is if you can convince a business owner it'll make them money. Given the amount of pickups and tahoes/suburbans everyone in Lubbock drives, it's not a high possibility to say the least.

The Overton Hotel in Lubbock now has Tesla destination chargers. If you plan on staying in Lubbock overnight, this is a good place to be.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
Looks like this Supercharger has been scheduled to be installed since 2017. Is there anyway to know an approximate time frame? I live in Amarillo but Drive to Lubbock 3 times a week. I do have the long range model 3 but at 75 mph I never seem to get the full 310.

at 75 mph I never seem to get the full 310.
And you're never going to because the "full 310" isn't "310 at all speeds, and in all conditions". ;) It's 310 miles when your usage is averaging 242 Wh/mi. You can look at your usage, if it's over 242 you'll be getting less than the rated miles. If it's under 242, you'll be getting more than the rated miles. When you'll get exactly 242 Wh/mi will depend on the weather, road conditions, elevation changes, what wheels and tires you have on the car, how inflated your tires are, etc, but it will pretty much never be at a speed as high as 75 mph unless you're going down a hill or have a very strong and sustained tail-wind.

As for the supercharger...Nope, unfortunately no way to know. It could already be in construction without anyone knowing about it or it could still not be built for another 5 years. Best recommendation is to follow this thread--where any information will be posted if someone finds some--and to keep an eye on the map at supercharge.info.

• Helpful
Reactions: dcdttu
Looks like this Supercharger has been scheduled to be installed since 2017. Is there anyway to know an approximate time frame? I live in Amarillo but Drive to Lubbock 3 times a week. I do have the long range model 3 but at 75 mph I never seem to get the full 310.
Why would you ever expect to get 310 mile range at 75mph? You need to do a little reading about the effect of speed on range, and what EPA rated range means.

Why would you ever expect to get 310 mile range at 75mph? You need to do a little reading about the effect of speed on range, and what EPA rated range means.
I took ownership of my model 3 less than a month ago. Though I have watch many review videos there is still quite a bit of information that is learned through experience. I am not hating on my Tesla, I absolutely love my car, but this region of the State is pretty thin on charging options. From my house to the location a little south of Lubbock is 128 miles. Round trip would be 256-265 depending on driving in Lubbock. I generally stop charging at 279 miles but I can obviously bump that to the full 310 the night before a Lubbock trip. I assume weight, wind and speed are the main factors to considering actual range. Has anyone come up with formulas that data can be keyed into to get a rough estimate of range?

I took ownership of my model 3 less than a month ago. Though I have watch many review videos there is still quite a bit of information that is learned through experience. I am not hating on my Tesla, I absolutely love my car, but this region of the State is pretty thin on charging options. From my house to the location a little south of Lubbock is 128 miles. Round trip would be 256-265 depending on driving in Lubbock. I generally stop charging at 279 miles but I can obviously bump that to the full 310 the night before a Lubbock trip. I assume weight, wind and speed are the main factors to considering actual range. Has anyone come up with formulas that data can be keyed into to get a rough estimate of range?

Check out A Better Route Planner. Uses tons of actual real-world data and is very accurate if you set the parameters properly.

To directly answer your question--speed, temp, wind, elevation changes, extra weight, tire pressure, wheels/tires, etc. All have an impact.

Can you plug into a 120V wall outlet while you're in Lubbock? I'm assuming you're going down there for work, so if normal 8 hour work day, that'll get you ~ 40 miles back into the battery before heading home.

Check out plugshare.com for local charging options, but for route planning I use either A Better Routeplanner or https://evtripping.com/ or EV Trip Planner depending on what I'm looking for

Can you plug into a 120V wall outlet while you're in Lubbock? I'm assuming you're going down there for work, so if normal 8 hour work day, that'll get you ~ 40 miles back into the battery before heading home.
My daughters are competitive cheerleaders for Ultimate Cheer out of Lubbock. I have been thinking about asking the gym owner if I can pay to have a destination charger installed at the gym. Not sure how all of that works though.

My daughters are competitive cheerleaders for Ultimate Cheer out of Lubbock. I have been thinking about asking the gym owner if I can pay to have a destination charger installed at the gym. Not sure how all of that works though.

If they shoot for the workplace charging program (Charging Partners), Tesla may offer the HPWC hardware for free. You'd just have to cover the installation costs. Especially in a city with such a relatively high population and low charger density, Tesla may be more willing to have them join.

I took a work road trip to Lubbock from Colorado last summer in my 3, and at that point the only L2 in town other than at car dealers was at the Best Western--and they had exactly one. I had to call ahead and a hotel manager had an employee park in the spot to ensure I had access, or else I'd have been in trouble. Wound up working great.

• Helpful
Reactions: HillCountryFun

Another TMC member was successful in something similar. Tesla paid for the equipment and Charlie paid for the installation. Since Tesla had previously paid for the install they even later refunded Charlie the cost of the install.

Charging Partners