Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lubbock (SC), TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may have to ask to use those destination chargers. I wouldn't just roll up and plug in. They are probably meant to be used for vehicles out for delivery or in for service.
Good point, many of the service center chargers are not "destination chargers" and not public.
For example - there are Tesla Wall Connector chargers at the north Austin service center, but that doesn't make them destination chargers and they aren't listed as destination chargers on the Tesla site.

You may have to ask to use those destination chargers. I wouldn't just roll up and plug in. They are probably meant to be used for vehicles out for delivery or in for service.
Yeah, agreed, I'm looking for a temporary alternative to no SuperCharger until Q4. There are other choices in town but none are very good (e.g. Hotels only have one charger, BestBuy is slow, and I don't have adapter for CCS at cycle shop). I'm hoping they'll add more out front of the Service Center soon.

Reactions: Ferengii
Just stopped by to check out the new store. Have a doctor's appointment across the street. Came from Abilene. Stopped in Sweetwater to charge to 100% and arrived in Lubbock with 45% (chilly today). Wasn't going to make it back to Sweetwater so I stopped by the new Tesla store. They saved me by letting me use one of the destination chargers in the back. Same thing was said to me that they'll get temp superchargers soon and a permanent one will be in town later this year.

Just stopped by to check out the new store. Have a doctor's appointment across the street. Came from Abilene. Stopped in Sweetwater to charge to 100% and arrived in Lubbock with 45% (chilly today). Wasn't going to make it back to Sweetwater so I stopped by the new Tesla store. They saved me by letting me use one of the destination chargers in the back. Same thing was said to me that they'll get temp superchargers soon and a permanent one will be in town later this year.
Was the Destination Charger able to do 48A at 240v to give you 44 miles per hour of charge or had it been throttled back?

Reactions: HillCountryFun
They are probably on commercial power so it will be 208v… or around that. Commercial power is typically 3phase were two hot wires makes 208v. Residential power is split phase off of a 240v transformer so you’ll get 240v with two hot wires at most homes. (120v each leg).

As a side note, I live in Abilene as well and routinely drive up to Levelland. I Make it there at about 10% SoC it if I charge to 95% in sweetwater. Been waiting / watching for the Lubbock supercharger for some time now. My in-laws were nice enough to install a 14-50 at their house though so I can charge up while visiting.

so 4 hrs charging to get you to the nearest Supercharger
Ya I went from 45% to 65% not thinking the drive back would be more downhill. Got me to Sweetwater with about 17% and Supercharged up to around 40%. 8 stalls and I was the only one sitting there playing Sky Force.

Also, someone at Tesla mentioned the J-1772 at Best Buy but I informed them that Plugshare was reporting that stall as being frequently broken. My alternative was to park at a hotel destination charger and walk next door to a Starbucks. Of course that would've put me driving into town and taking a gamble on the hotel charger being available. Lubbock and San Angelo definitely need Superchargers to plug up the holes when traveling across Texas.

Awesome, thanks for the confirming info!!

Legislation funding the expansion of Interstate 27 beyond it's Amarillo/Lubbock endpoints has been passed. Look for more development on that North/south corridor to come. BTW, the DFW to Amarillo route includes at least four supercharger locations. Why go to Lubbock? If going South from Amarillo, you can bypass Lubbock and charge in Sweetwater.

Legislation funding the expansion of Interstate 27 beyond it's Amarillo/Lubbock endpoints has been passed. Look for more development on that North/south corridor to come. BTW, the DFW to Amarillo route includes at least four supercharger locations. Why go to Lubbock? If going South from Amarillo, you can bypass Lubbock and charge in Sweetwater.
Because not everyone is going to Dallas? We regularly go from ABQ to San Antonio or Houston and Amarillo is already out of the way. Even Amarillo to Sweetwater is a stretch at 250 miles under optimal conditions.

Because not everyone is going to Dallas? We regularly go from ABQ to San Antonio or Houston and Amarillo is already out of the way. Even Amarillo to Sweetwater is a stretch at 250 miles under optimal conditions.
We drive AMA to Childress to Sweetwater to Junction to SA regularly with no issues. We do have family in Lubbock so we do use that route as well. Just saying...there are alternatives to Lubbock until a Supercharger becomes available.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
We drive AMA to Childress to Sweetwater to Junction to SA regularly with no issues. We do have family in Lubbock so we do use that route as well. Just saying...there are alternatives to Lubbock until a Supercharger becomes available.
Wouldn’t it Be easier to build out Lubbock so people following a similar route could go Santa Rosa, Lubbock, Sweetwater? Amarillo and Childress are further and further out of the way.