Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lubbock (SC), TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have looked hard at the Cisco-Childress route. ABRP (which I admit is pretty conservative) warns me I need to keep my speed to 60 for one leg, 65 for the other. I'm in a Y long range (EPA 325 miles)... Sounds like you have taken that route, and you did OK with the speed? I admit I'm not sure what the speed limits are on that Cisco-Childress route anyway; looks like smaller roads. My main concern there would be slowing down other traffic if I'm babying the battery...
Yes I have done the route in my MS many times but not since the Llano and Clayton, NM chargers opened. Not sure of your car's exact range, but If you want to keep your speeds down you should be fine. I have never accomplished either route without getting range warnings driving at 70-80mph, but I learned a while back that they can be ignored on the Austin (from home with 100% charge) -Cisco-Childress route. That said, my TeslaFi records indicate that I once arrived at the Flying J (Cisco) with 2% after a strong headwind and taking a wrong turn that cost me 24 miles. If you have 300 miles of range you will be fine on the Cisco-Childress route. With chargers in Llano you can easily make Sweetwater too, and as long as you can charge in Lubbock you will be fine.

My only hesitation is that charging in Lubbock may cost you the time you save on the route. Not sure of this, but Lubbock is incredibly slow to drive through, and with only three SC's once you get there you might have to wait. I generally prefer to avoid Lubbock but YMMV.

Looks like the chargers are right next to the wall, too. No space for bike racks or cargo carriers unless you park sideways. With three spots, and taking 2/3 of them won't be popular...

Also, will this open 24/7? I doubt it.
Well, these probably were meant to be for Service Center use only, not open to the public. They will just be opening them to public temporally until the primary station is built. Could they change their minds and leave them open, sure, but don't think that's likely with only 4 stalls since it's such a small install.

Don't think the service center wants there to be a ton of people back there all queued up for 4 stalls all the time while at the same time blocking them off from the vehicles they are servicing.

Last edited:
Looks like the chargers are right next to the wall, too. No space for bike racks or cargo carriers unless you park sideways. With three spots, and taking 2/3 of them won't be popular...

Also, will this open 24/7? I doubt it.

Four spots*

There is a fourth charging stall on the left side of the garage door.

Four spots*

There is a fourth charging stall on the left side of the garage door.
I meant that I would need to either disassemble the cargo carrier or block at least two spaces to go sideways. Obviously the lone charger would block the door if sideways.

I'll work it to take the cargo carrier off -- it's worth it to go Sweetwater-Lubbock-Amarillo and bypass Childress.

I meant that I would need to either disassemble the cargo carrier or block at least two spaces to go sideways. Obviously the lone charger would block the door if sideways.

I'll work it to take the cargo carrier off -- it's worth it to go Sweetwater-Lubbock-Amarillo and bypass Childress.
As i am looking at going through that general area next month for the first time, can you explain why you want to skip Childress? Is it just really slow?

Are these chargers behind a gate or can we get to them 7/24?
There’s no gate, just an open parking lot with two or three entrances. You have to drive to the back of the first two buildings. I’ve been there a couple of times to use the chargers during business hours and have asked if I can use them. The two times I’ve charged there, the front guys tell me to charge all I want as long as they’re available. I don’t get the feeling that they don’t want non-serviced visitors there. If they tell me otherwise, I’ll comply and post here. I hope to charge there when the SCs are up and running. The workers are surprisingly nice about all this - I hope it stays that way.

Reactions: BerTX and cmy4x4
I spoke with a nice lady at the Lubbock Service Center. She told me that there are 4 V3 Superchargers that will go online in the next 2 weeks. They are finishing the electrical work now. She said this is available 24/7. There will be 2 new locations going in Lubbock.
Interesting, second time we've heard of possibly two SC locations going in Lubbock. We're pretty certain one will be going in at 7012 Zenith with the new Toot'n Totum there but the second location isn't quite known.... I think Reddy has mentioned one possibly going in on Crickets (Buddy Holly Center)?

Reactions: richardodi
There’s no gate, just an open parking lot with two or three entrances. You have to drive to the back of the first two buildings. I’ve been there a couple of times to use the chargers during business hours and have asked if I can use them. The two times I’ve charged there, the front guys tell me to charge all I want as long as they’re available. I don’t get the feeling that they don’t want non-serviced visitors there. If they tell me otherwise, I’ll comply and post here. I hope to charge there when the SCs are up and running. The workers are surprisingly nice about all this - I hope it stays that way.
Same here. The few times I have charged there, no one was there even though it was during business hours that they were supposedly open. Never seen more than three cars there, so no line.