Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lubbock (SC), TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, second time we've heard of possibly two SC locations going in Lubbock. We're pretty certain one will be going in at 7012 Zenith with the new Toot'n Totum there but the second location isn't quite known.... I think Reddy has mentioned one possibly going in on Crickets (Buddy Holly Center)?
I can confirm that there will be 12 stalls going in at the new Toot‘n Totum location in Lubbock. Got that information from a source who works for TNT while we were talking about the newly completed V3 supercharger in Amarillo

Lubbock is so out of the way of everything in Texas... I don't think a 5min detour to hit up a V3 supercharger is the end of the world
Agreed. During my Colorado trip last year, the only place I ever had difficulty was the long stretch between Amarillo and Sweetwater. Lubbock would have been right about halfway and made everything easy.

Now get to work on San Angelo, Tesla crew!

yeah - the Lubbock charger is nice ... but still not enough to realistically connect to Ruidoso uness you want to sit and slow charge for one hour+ at the McDonalds in Roswell

At least the units at the Roswell McD’s can max out your car’s AC charger, providing the fastest charge possible, given the circumstances. Thanks @nwdiver for installing these!

yeah - the Lubbock charger is nice ... but still not enough to realistically connect to Ruidoso uness you want to sit and slow charge for one hour+ at the McDonalds in Roswell
Maybe I'm old school but this doesn't sound like much of a hardship! Let a happy meal put a smile on your face :)

And thanks to @nwdiver for installing that charger!

That would be nice, but the goal was to support all EVs, so they’re 240 volts. As far as I know, only Teslas can support 277 volts.
I've never seen one of those. In fact most of the 80 amp L2s I've seen seem to max out at 208V. I'm not sure why it's 208 instead of 240, but it's common. Still, I can't complain 208V and 72 amp (limited by the car I think) is still a solid 15kW which comes out to around 50 mi/hr in my car. Definitely isn't supercharging, but it feels like you're flying compared to other L2 options.

That would be nice, but the goal was to support all EVs, so they’re 240 volts. As far as I know, only Teslas can support 277 volts.

Yep. Blame SAE. I would have loved to have connected those stations to 277v. Thought about 277v with a 240v transformer but it would have just been a bit much and wasn't sure how to account for people using J-adapters not knowing the HPWC was getting fed 277v. Still curious how that would work out....

208 is from 3 phase power. It's 2 legs 120 degrees out of phase and 120v to GND while 240 is 120v to GND and 180 degrees out of phase. That's why 208 is far more common at hotels. That's the other reason 277v would have been great to have as part of the standard. If you have 3 phase power you get 208v or 277v. 240v is rare when the service is fed from 3 phase. So for commercial EV charging it's basically a free 33% boost to charge rate.

Spoke with the employees while I charged. They said two additional supercharger locations are planned for Lubbock. Once those are operational, the superchargers here will be removed. The employees thought removed meant physically removed but I suggested the most likely outcome is that they'll be removed from the in-car nav, like has happened at many other service center locations.

Spoke with the employees while I charged. They said two additional supercharger locations are planned for Lubbock. Once those are operational, the superchargers here will be removed. The employees thought removed meant physically removed but I suggested the most likely outcome is that they'll be removed from the in-car nav, like has happened at many other service center locations.
We're pretty sure one of the locations will be at the soon to be built Toot'n Totum on the SE side of Lubbock at US 84 and TX Loop 289. I don't know where the second site is planned.

The most recent permit movement for that US 84 location was on 6/28. It's still in the planning/development stages, at least as far as I can tell from the permits.

We're pretty sure one of the locations will be at the soon to be built Toot'n Totum on the SE side of Lubbock at US 84 and TX Loop 289. I don't know where the second site is planned.

The most recent permit movement for that US 84 location was on 6/28. It's still in the planning/development stages, at least as far as I can tell from the permits.
The original location was the buddy holly center