Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lumberton, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by the supercharger in Savannah yesterday (Jan. 12th) and a single man was at the site putting the final screws in the wooden enclosure which surrounds the transformers. He told me that the charging stations all had power and that the site was to be "commissioned" Jan. 14th. I also asked him about the airport parking fee and he stated that Tesla had worked out a deal with the airport so that if you entered the lot with a Tesla you could exit without charge. I suspect there will be some reasonable time limit. I have never seen a supercharging site before but this one appears ready to go.

amyju4u8.jpg
Stopped by Lumberton today. Looked ready to go but the Chargers were not po

Did anyone else just get an invitation for the opening of the Santee, SC supercharger? That supercharger opened weeks ago (and I had gotten an invite for that one at the time) so I suspect they really meant to send out an invite for either Lumberton or Savannah and just messed up the email. The opening on the email says Thursday, January 16th at 10 a.m., so I thinking one of these two is opening that day.

Did anyone else just get an invitation for the opening of the Santee, SC supercharger? That supercharger opened weeks ago (and I had gotten an invite for that one at the time) so I suspect they really meant to send out an invite for either Lumberton or Savannah and just messed up the email. The opening on the email says Thursday, January 16th at 10 a.m., so I thinking one of these two is opening that day.

Yeah, I just got the same email. Savannah is a 5 hour drive from here though. If it's Lumberton and the body shop gives me back Model S as planned tomorrow, I might make it.

There was a ribbon cutting ceremony this morning for the Santee, SC location. I don't have any pictures but I do have a report from an attendee. They were chatting with a Raleigh, NC service guy and he said that they used Lumberton, NC to power up on the way down. Although it may not be on the map just yet, I think it may be operational. Maybe they'll flip the switch tonight or tomorrow.

Over in a Santee SC thread, a member reported on Thursday:

I met one of the service guys from Raleigh who drove down in a Model S. I asked him about Lumberton and he said that without lumberton he wouldn't have made it. He arrived at lumberton with 7 miles remaining apparently. He said Lumberton was "still in testing."

So Lumberton is somewhat operational. Any day now ...

It's on the map now too. This is a happy day because now I can finally drive to most places I'd ever care to drive using superchargers! The only remaining one I'd like to see is the one near Asheville and maybe that N. Virginia one too just to make the distance from Glen Allen a bit less, but at this point, I can drive up to NY and down to Miami and Orlando - the long-distance destinations I care about the most.

What a huge accomplishment in such a short time for Tesla. East coast network substantially complete. West coast done. And the first east-west route is nearly done. Today, an 85 can go from Miami to Boston via superchargers. Though it is still a challenge in a couple of spots for a 60. I'm anxious to hear a big announcement in the next few weeks about supercharger network milestones. Bravo!

What a huge accomplishment in such a short time for Tesla. East coast network substantially complete. West coast done. And the first east-west route is nearly done. Today, an 85 can go from Miami to Boston via superchargers. Though it is still a challenge in a couple of spots for a 60. I'm anxious to hear a big announcement in the next few weeks about supercharger network milestones. Bravo!
Funny, I was thinking that an 85 can go from Boston to Miami via superchargers. :biggrin:

This is a BIG DEAL. Model S owners can now drive from Portland, Maine to Miami, Florida -- with no fuel cost. Pack a big picnic basket and a cooler, and you could travel the entire east coast with just your EZPass transponder and your driver's license.

With just two more superchargers (southern Maine and Bangor), you'll be able to drive from Miami to St. Stephen, New Brunswick and hop onto the (also free) Sun Country Highway. Not up to Supercharger standards, but they're the among the best L2 chargers around.