Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lumberton, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Heading south to the Charleston area on december 27th, Was considering breaking up the drive and spending the night at a hotel near the Supercharger. From some research sounds like a bad idea. Anybody have a recommendation of a place between MD and SC that is safe to spend the night.

Hello all. Heading south to the Charleston area on december 27th, Was considering breaking up the drive and spending the night at a hotel near the Supercharger. From some research sounds like a bad idea. Anybody have a recommendation of a place between MD and SC that is safe to spend the night.

Fayetteville - in back of a Doubletree Hotel. Haven't stopped there.

Lumberton - Holiday Inn 100 yards away looks okay, I've eaten in their Denny's. I've charged there maybe 15 times and am not concerned during the day which is the only time I've been there.

Florence -- in a huge mall. Better hotels than the other stops, but separated by a major highway. You could easily drive over and eat dinner of breakfast while charging.

Santee - SpC is in parking lot of Clark's Inn, and there is a Holiday Inn across the street. Pretty quiet/dead area with mostly fast food. Restaurant in Clark's is fairly good. Santee is very close to Charleston.

I'm not at all sure if there's been an expansion here but I know that they changed the old Superchargers
IMG_0100.JPG

No expansion. Was just there yesterday. Although, as you mentioned, they have replaced all the stalls with the new light-up design. In fact, it appears that they have replaced all the old ones all along I-95 from here down through Florida as they were all new on my trip where several sites (e.g. Lumberton, Santee, Savanah, Port Orange, St. Augustine, Port St. Lucie) all used to be the old design.

No expansion. Was just there yesterday. Although, as you mentioned, they have replaced all the stalls with the new light-up design. In fact, it appears that they have replaced all the old ones all along I-95 from here down through Florida as they were all new on my trip where several sites (e.g. Lumberton, Santee, Savanah, Port Orange, St. Augustine, Port St. Lucie) all used to be the old design.

Is there a charging speed increase that comes with this, or is it just cosmetic?

I'm pretty sure most if not all sites were already 120kW capable. That said, I had been having lots of issues at several sites and the logs sometimes indicated over temperature errors on the charging cable handle. With the new pedestals they also replaced the cables and handles and I didn't run into any issues on my trip to Miami on any of the stops so I'm hoping they've replaced all the defective cables.

Reactions: CHGolferJim
Stopped by this on my way to hilton head. Easily the worst supercharger I've been to.

#1. Slow. Got less than 30 kWH charging
#2. Location. Behind some weird steakhouse. All the other restaurants are across 4 lanes of traffic.

It was raining when we rolled in, so we opted to eat right at the steakhouse. Again, weird. We were in for ~40 minutes and got less than 100 miles of range. Had to make an extra stop in Florence SC to top off the model 3.

Stopped by Rocky Mount Sc, 3/8 chargers are down with yellow tape. Nice conversation with a few owners. I had to wait for someone to finish so I can charge at maximum rate.
Thankfully I was told by another owner that the Lumberton chargers were down, we were planning to charge there overnight on the way to Florida, we could have been stuck.
We stopped by Fayetteville Sc instead- nice area and hotels close by.

If someone from the area can verify that the Lumberton SC are down, it would help many travelers who plan to use the location.
Issues were apparently reported on both locations.

Last edited:
I've used the Lumberton NC superchargers several times over the past couple weeks with my Model 3 LR Performance without issues, and charging at the full 120 kWh rate (like 116) for the first half of the battery charge. It is a small supercharger, you get a 20% discount at the steak house next door, close to various stuff like restaurants, supermarket, hotels. There is no sign of expansion that I can see. Had a Canadian with a trailer "ICE" the entire supercharger to charge their Model S, that was fun. Would be nice if they were to expand it, but the Fayetteville supercharger is quite big and not that far away so I surmise that this will just be a lonely 4 stall charger and will never be expanded. Nice to have there though. They really need to add small ones like this, perhaps 6 stall chargers, added in more remote areas before upgrading old ones like this.