TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Lynchburg, VA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by swengl, Jul 15, 2019.

1. swengl

swengl Member

There is an excellent chance that Sheetz is putting in a Supercharger location at their Route 29 South store (near Wendy's). I stopped by this morning to grab some coffee and noticed that they had most of the side parking lot roped off for construction and when I asked the cashier if they were installing EV chargers, he said yes. Now to confirm.....

• Like x 5
  2. theflyer

theflyer Member

When you get confirmation, please provide photos or link to a permit so we can get it added to supercharge.info.

Also, if you could show exactly where the location will be on a map, that'll help place the pin. cc @Chuq for awareness.

• Like x 1
  3. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

I looked for a permit online, but since that Sheetz location isn't technically within the city boundaries of Lynchburg, the permit for any work there would be issued by Campbell County--who, so far as I can tell, doesn't publish their permitting records.

4. theflyer

theflyer Member

Thanks for looking. Keep your eyes peeled for anything that'll prove its a supercharger location. Crates with Tesla markings, concrete pourings for pedestals, signs, etc. The outline for the pedestal layout is usually visible within a few days of construction start. Being a Sheetz location already increases the odds you are right.

5. swengl

swengl Member

Here's what I received when I requested the permit.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  6. swengl

swengl Member

The fact that it states Tesla charger has me excited ;)
    You can request it through the Freedom of Information act. I've attached a copy that they sent me (they turned it around within 2 business days, pretty impressive).

7. swengl

swengl Member

Google maps hasn't updated since they remodeled the store, but here's where the chargers will be located. It's away from the pumps and to the side of the store, there's less chance of ICEing as a result. Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 6.15.15 PM.png

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  8. swengl

swengl Member

Pictures from yesterday (before I knew what it was) IMG_5653.jpg IMG_5654.jpg IMG_5655.jpg

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Love x 1
  9. swengl

swengl Member

Colony Tire (in the background) is where I take the Model S to have tires changed/rotated. They have been great to deal with and understand where the jack points on the Teslas are, FWIW.

• Like x 1
  10. swengl

swengl Member

Let me know if you need anything else, I'd be happy to try to get it for you ;)

11. theflyer

theflyer Member

@BlueShift , @Chuq , @tes-s - we have confirmation. Permit date is 6/25/2019. I'd mark construction start based on first post above (7/15/2019).

Great find and sleuthing @swengl, you should become part of the hunter crowd.

• Like x 1
  12. swengl

swengl Member

Thanks! This one was in my backyard and I actually petitioned Sheetz to put one at the location when they tore the store down to completely renovate the site. There's only a Wendy's (next door) within walking distance on a busy road, but it is in a dead zone for high level charging so this should be a welcome addition along the Route 29 corridor. Next up, Danville?

• Like x 2
  13. swengl

swengl Member

Sheetz emailed me back to confirm that the chargers are indeed Tesla chargers. I thanked them profusely and told them the Tesla community supports their efforts. Guessing September opening?

• Like x 4
  14. corywright

corywright Member

As someone who spends a lot of time in Danville, I would be very excited about that. Charging options are scarce down there.

• Like x 1
  15. BlueRidgeksky

BlueRidgeksky Member

Yeeeeeessssss!

• Like x 1
  16. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Nice! The two other things on the permit besides just being called Tesla EVCS that point to it as a supercharger and not just destination chargers are that the applicant was GPD Group--who is one of Tesla's main partners for design and engineering work on superchargers--and that in the zoning comments section there is a question about the type of permit needed because of the "cabinets". But given the supercharger partnership with Sheetz, this was really just bonus confirmation.

• Like x 1
  17. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

I selfishly would have preferred Farmville (in-laws live in Pamplin, along 460), but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose.

• Like x 1
  18. RTPEV

RTPEV Member

This is absolutely HUGE! And strange, because I just drove by here on Sunday and somehow missed the construction...although it was getting pretty late and I still had 3 hours or so to go. The drawback of this Sheetz is that it is a bit tight on parking for a Sheetz.

Even though I did find that I could make it home to Durham from Mt. Jackson (much less Staunton), this cuts down the distance to a mere 125 miles which really expands my options between I-81 in Staunton and Durham, NC. Very welcome news indeed!

I love the fact that Sheetz "gets it" and are positioning themselves as an EV charging destination.

• Like x 4
  19. swengl

swengl Member

Stopped by this morning and spoke with the guys working on the site. It will be an 8 stall charger and they are the same crew that put up the Salem SuC. They are making nice progress. They already have at least 3 of the bases for the units in the ground and in the other picture you can see 4 more ready to go. They have already started the form for the wiring trench. The completion will probably be held up by the pedestals (like Salem), but this crew is out of Virginia and already has a few installs under their belts. They couldn't (wouldn't) tell me where they were heading next, it was worth asking.
    IMG_5668.jpg IMG_5669.jpg

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
  20. swengl

swengl Member

I agree, I made sure Sheetz customer service knew how much the EV community appreciates their direction.

• Like x 2