Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lynnwood WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Work going well at Lynnwood

Attachments

• C685F5D8-8478-471E-B7F2-050B34DE4179.jpeg
    C685F5D8-8478-471E-B7F2-050B34DE4179.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 7EB46029-7361-4E02-84ED-B6B49CF7600A.jpeg
    7EB46029-7361-4E02-84ED-B6B49CF7600A.jpeg
    394.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf and otter
Interesting that the new Lynnwood Supercharger is using the smaller footprint charging stations. I thought these were for city installs where space was at a premium but maybe they are the new standard.
4503D20A-E0F5-459C-86B2-0A0294A79EF7.jpeg

Also my guess earlier on stall count was high. It looks like 10 for sure - not 20 as I hoped.

Humm pretty, is this the slower version of the supercharger -- or a new design?
These are the Tesla 'Urban' Superchargers. They are marginally slower than the version of the Supercharger that is primarily deployed right now. The difference is that each Urban Superchargers provide a dedicated amount of power to each car that is not impacted by another car charging on the same cabinet. I think you get 75 kWh of dedicated power at maximum charge rates for each charger pedestal vs. about 110 to 135 kWh of shared power in the higher peak power versions of the Supercharger. In tests people have done, the difference in charge time from the higher powered Superchargers has been relatively minimal (On the order of minutes).

I think Tesla decided to go with the lower max power dedicated output design to make it less confusing for people. You don't have to play the game of looking to see who is plugged into 3A if you want to charge on pedestal 3B and so forth. This design also appears to be more robust, so if someone were to back into the pedestal and damage it, there aren't any components in the pedestal itself (from what I understand). To repair a broken pedestal, it would simply be a matter of getting a new housing and making sure the cable itself is good to go.

• Informative
Reactions: Nevek
Just stopped by the site too- It was dark already so I didn't walk around and check out the transformer vault that is posted above, only took one picture and it's was pretty dark, sorry guys. I'll try to get there in the day light next week and post some pictures. These indeed appear to be the new "urban" superchargers 72KW, no load sharing, but it's interesting, I counted 9 pedestals, and 5 supercharger cabinets, (maybe there will be a 10th pedestal, I didn't see that's pull in, otherwise these are back in. In the old supercharger scheme, each cabinet hosts 2 pedestals, which share the load. I wonder about these new cabinets, maybe there are new electronics in them. The other thing, these are probably located in the best place they could be, out near the gas station. Not likely to get ice'd Great progress this week. I'll bet we'll be in Utility transformer waiting mode next week. i.e. finished, except for the utility connection/transformer. This has been a fast build.

I've noticed a something that might be a stray pedestal near the transformer pad. I think they might be waiting on installing the 10th unit until after some of the trenching near the transformer pad is filed in.

Does seem strange to me that these are the urban supercharger type. It does not seem particularly like an urban supercharger location. All of the others thus far are in pay parking garages.

Does seem strange to me that these are the urban supercharger type. It does not seem particularly like an urban supercharger location. All of the others thus far are in pay parking garages.
It would not surprise me for this to be the "norm" for the future. Maybe the more populated areas will get this and rural installations will get the shared variable output systems to allow slightly faster charging. I'll bet that when inventories of parts run out, they'll switch to this system entirely. Probably more reliable and easier on the batteries.

It would be nice if they got it completed prior to the holiday travel rush. Hopefully, they are working on it today.

Attachments

• 6BD5E3B4-DEAC-4871-ABC7-7FA7F3916F54.jpeg
    6BD5E3B4-DEAC-4871-ABC7-7FA7F3916F54.jpeg
    556.2 KB · Views: 77
  • B654F567-F714-4ECB-95A3-C3DBE1C620A3.jpeg
    B654F567-F714-4ECB-95A3-C3DBE1C620A3.jpeg
    748.3 KB · Views: 80
  • FA172CB5-AD20-4227-8E9B-17343DFE11F9.jpeg
    FA172CB5-AD20-4227-8E9B-17343DFE11F9.jpeg
    663.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Informative
Reactions: Acps110
It would not surprise me for this to be the "norm" for the future. Maybe the more populated areas will get this and rural installations will get the shared variable output systems to allow slightly faster charging. I'll bet that when inventories of parts run out, they'll switch to this system entirely. Probably more reliable and easier on the batteries.
As someone whose battery has been fried by the 135kW superchargers, I can't say I disagree with this strategy. I just hope that I can draw the same ~72kW as everyone else does from these urban superchargers as that is roughly where I'm maxing out on the 135kW superchargers. It would really suck if my car only draws XX% of max output regardless which type of supercharger.

Reactions: BerTX
This may just be a new design for superchargers, rather than being the slower charging "urban superchargers."

There's a new supercharger in Scottsdale, AZ with the same pedestals and people are reporting getting 107kW.