Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mackinaw City, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t understand ... can you kindly elaborate
Sure! The general conflation is things that are tied to age of car vs things that directly inpact charging.

The max rate for supercharging is determined by the pack version (and wiring).
The autopilot functionality is determined by the currently installed AP computer version.
The cameras and radar type on the car are linked to the original AP HW version (not changed on a HW 3.0 retrofit)
The center display is the MCU and its version determines browing speed, visualizations, and dash cam/ sentry functionality.
Some changes overlapped more than others, but each group of things is fairly independent.

So a car having AP 3.0 originally might imply it can charge faster since those things came later. However, a slower charging 2.0 would not charge faster after it gets the 3.0 AP retrofit.

Sure! The general conflation is things that are tied to age of car vs things that directly inpact charging.

The max rate for supercharging is determined by the pack version (and wiring).
The autopilot functionality is determined by the currently installed AP computer version.
The cameras and radar type on the car are linked to the original AP HW version (not changed on a HW 3.0 retrofit)
The center display is the MCU and its version determines browing speed, visualizations, and dash cam/ sentry functionality.
Some changes overlapped more than others, but each group of things is fairly independent.

So a car having AP 3.0 originally might imply it can charge faster since those things came later. However, a slower charging 2.0 would not charge faster after it gets the 3.0 AP retrofit.

LOL ... so my hypothesis that my HW 2.5 car wont charge any faster on a V3 Supercharger is correct?

LOL ... so my hypothesis that my HW 2.5 car wont charge any faster on a V3 Supercharger is correct?
Yeah, beacuse it is was built in the 2.5 era, it is also a non-raven Model S and would only get the speed bump of not sharing a stall. I think there may also have been 3.0 non-ravens in the month of switch over.

Whereas a Model 3 LR with AP 2.5 or 3.0 would get a boost from v3 superchargers.

So your pre April 2019 S will not get much of a boost from v3, unless you are comparing to a v2 with A and B occupied (wven if you get the 3.0 upgrade)
:)

Over 100k on my 03/2017 100D. Plenty of supercharger use. Just charged up at Gaylord last time up on this thread. Here was the pic. Usually pull 139-143 for a good bit before the taper.
IMG_20200507_203110_MP.jpg

Screenshot_20200610-200641.png IMG_20200507_203110_MP.jpg

Edit add:. I would give it a week. Come in with a decent empty battery. I will try it on Friday with a 3. Never seen more than 147 on my S.

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo
Over 100k on my 03/2017 100D. Plenty of supercharger use. Just charged up at Gaylord last time up on this thread. Here was the pic. Usually pull 139-143 for a good bit before the taper.
View attachment 550203
View attachment 550204 View attachment 550203

Edit add:. I would give it a week. Come in with a decent empty battery. I will try it on Friday with a 3. Never seen more than 147 on my S.
It could be worse! I max out at 108kW. S100D with 117k miles. March 2018 build.

Does it really matter which HW you have? I thought it was completely battery and # of fast charges done related....
Nope. FSD/AP hardware version has nothing to do with how quickly the car can charge. For Model S and X, you have to have a Raven, which has improved charging speed in addition to having the FSD/HW3 computer. Raven began being delivered circa August 2019.

Reactions: Matsayz and FMinMI
Does it really matter which HW you have? I thought it was completely battery and # of fast charges done related....

HW can be such a generic term.

the AC/DC charging Inverter has a maximum kwh which Model 3s are higher than Model S/X. It’s still hardware. Raven Model S/X have better charging hardware than the earlier non-raven models. But the first Model S cars had two inverters so they could take more kwh.

The MCU computer (version 1 or 2) likely runs the software for the Charger. I think this is the nvidia computer at version 2. Perhaps version 1 had the MobileEye computer. I’m not sure, before my time...

Then there is HW2.0, HW2.5 and HW3.0. Those also are hardware setups that usually describe the autopilot configuration. HW2.0, old Nvidia computer with cameras and ultrasonic sensors, HW2.5 is the Nvidia Computer with cameras, ultrasonic sensors and radar, HW3.0 is the Tesla built computer with cameras, ultrasonic sensors and radar.

Basically Model 3/Model Y charges up to 250 kwh, Raven Model S I think can go to 150 KWh and pre-raven might be limited to about 100 kwh.

Reactions: FMinMI
HW can be such a generic term.

the AC/DC charging Inverter has a maximum kwh which Model 3s are higher than Model S/X. It’s still hardware. Raven Model S/X have better charging hardware than the earlier non-raven models. But the first Model S cars had two inverters so they could take more kwh.

The MCU computer (version 1 or 2) likely runs the software for the Charger. I think this is the nvidia computer at version 2. Perhaps version 1 had the MobileEye computer. I’m not sure, before my time...

Then there is HW2.0, HW2.5 and HW3.0. Those also are hardware setups that usually describe the autopilot configuration. HW2.0, old Nvidia computer with cameras and ultrasonic sensors, HW2.5 is the Nvidia Computer with cameras, ultrasonic sensors and radar, HW3.0 is the Tesla built computer with cameras, ultrasonic sensors and radar.

Basically Model 3/Model Y charges up to 250 kwh, Raven Model S I think can go to 150 KWh and pre-raven might be limited to about 100 kwh.
Yes it is all hardware but the OP was clearly referring to the FSD Computer.

A Raven Model S and X tops out at 200 kWh. Personally, I've seen 190 kWh.

Now, back to the topic of the thread, Mackinaw City Supercharger. Out.

Drove across much of the UP this week - Ontonagon to Sault Ste. Marie, hugging the Lake Superior shoreline wherever possible, including all the way to the end of the Keweenaw Peninsula. Used Campground chargers in Ontonagon (River Rd. RV Park), L'Anse (Baraga State Park) and Christmas (Pictured Rocks RV Park and Campgrounds), but would REALLY have like to seen a Supercharger somewhere in the Northern UP, eh?

The next leg of our trip is from Sault Ste. Marie to Whitefish Point, Tahquamenon Falls, Naubinway, Mackinaw City, Wilderness State Park and down the shore eventually to Walloon Lake - 270-ish miles - out of reach even for my Model 3P, so I'm SO happy to see that the Mackinaw City V3 Supercharger is finally up and running - ~10 minutes there will make the rest of the trip easy - yay!

I NEVER use my Twitter account, but I'm gonna tweet Elon about getting a Supercharger somewhere in the nothern/western UP - like Ashland, Ironwood, Ontanagon, Houghton, Marquette, Munising or somewhere. Can't hurt, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: theflyer and mrau
Drove across much of the UP this week - Ontonagon to Sault Ste. Marie, hugging the Lake Superior shoreline wherever possible, including all the way to the end of the Keweenaw Peninsula. Used Campground chargers in Ontonagon (River Rd. RV Park), L'Anse (Baraga State Park) and Christmas (Pictured Rocks RV Park and Campgrounds), but would REALLY have like to seen a Supercharger somewhere in the Northern UP, eh?

The next leg of our trip is from Sault Ste. Marie to Whitefish Point, Tahquamenon Falls, Naubinway, Mackinaw City, Wilderness State Park and down the shore eventually to Walloon Lake - 270-ish miles - out of reach even for my Model 3P, so I'm SO happy to see that the Mackinaw City V3 Supercharger is finally up and running - ~10 minutes there will make the rest of the trip easy - yay!

I NEVER use my Twitter account, but I'm gonna tweet Elon about getting a Supercharger somewhere in the nothern/western UP - like Ashland, Ironwood, Ontanagon, Houghton, Marquette, Munising or somewhere. Can't hurt, right?
Escanaba has been on the "planned" and had a permit issued in 2018 at the Meijer location but nothing has been done since.