Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mackinaw City, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

First post here. We just got our new Model X a couple of weeks ago and are very excited! Looks like you all have a great community going. We are excited to be part of it.

Does anyone have any info on the status of the Mackinaw City, MI supercharger?

We live around Traverse City, MI and are planning on visiting Minneapolis in early June of this year. Currently this would require us to either 1) stay overnight/take an extended stop somewhere to destination charge 2) go through Chicago. If either the Mackinaw City supercharger or the Escanaba supercharger become operational by early June we can shoot through the UP.

Thanks.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Welcome to the group @michiganwoods . Haven't heard much about the Mackinaw SC, but I hope the ones planned for Michigan get started soon, we sure could use them.

Also, I did see this meet up posted on the Michigan Group of the TMC that may be close to you. A bit far for me to drive, but it sounds like fun.

here is the link:
Event: Tesla Enthusiasts of Northern Michigan Breakfast

"Breakfast get together of Tesla Enthusiasts at Cafe Sante in Boyne City, Michigan at 930 A.M. on Saturday 13 April 2019.
This is a first meeting of this group to discuss issues of intetest."

The Michigan Group on TMC is free to join if you have not done so. Lots of good post there too.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/groups/23/overview

I wouldn't bet on either of them being available in June. Unfortunately we've been waiting on the Escanaba one for quite some time. Rumor is that Escanaba construction starts this year in April. However, they've been rather slow getting everything in place (on the electrical equipment side) once the construction has begun. I think Gaylord sat there for months and months waiting for the transformer to get installed.

But you could always do like I did and charge up in Gaylord, then put on some miles at one of the many Destination chargers in Mackinaw City and then make a go across the UP all in one charge. I did that last year in my 90D. Not for the faint of heart though.... :)

Supercharger - Escanaba, MI

There is a hotel in Naubinway with a Destination Charger if you want to stop there overnight. Not a bad plan, to be honest.

Anyway, welcome to the Tesla family. This is indeed a very thriving community.

Reactions: outdoors
@mrau Thank you for the welcome and the links!

@IT Geek the one charge across the UP sounds daring. I don't think I want to try that. Naubinway sounds like a solid option -- unfortunate you need to stay overnight. Someone else showed me a way to do it but it involves 4+ hours of charging total. So that's another option that avoids the overnight (but has you waiting more).

Yeah, it's all a trade when you get off the Supercharger network. For example, you could even drive to Ludington and take the ferry....but that's not cheap and takes several hours as well.

Unfortunately the UP is going to be a bit of a challenge until they get a SC up and running up there. Until then...any plans will incur several hours of waiting unless you feel you can make 260 miles in one charge. Probably not advisable in a Model X.

Reactions: Calimenti
Good News!

Was just in Mackinaw City on Sat. October 5. Tesla Superchargers now under construction at 801 South Huron Avenue, Mackinaw City MI 49701
@BlueShift

Note: There are two Tesla Destination Stations + one Nema 14-50 Station at this location. All located at the water's edge to the left of the Ticket Office for Star Line Mackinaw Island Ferry. Phone Number for the office: 800-638-9892 Exceptionally nice folks work here. The owner of Star Line has a Model X 100D. Did not meet him.
I have a 2016 Tesla Model S 90D and got 30 mph @40a, 242v charge rate using one of the Tesla Destination Stations. See PlugShare for more info,
especially the comments.

10 pictures below. This is all the information that I have about these Superchargers.

IMG_0890.jpeg
IMG_0891.jpeg
IMG_0895.jpeg
IMG_0896.jpeg
IMG_0897.jpeg
IMG_0899.jpeg
IMG_0901.jpeg
IMG_0902.jpeg
IMG_0903.jpeg
IMG_0904.jpeg

Mackinaw City, MI

Along Primary Interstates: I-75
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-23
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-75

To: Sault Ste. Marie, MI (Permit) - 55.4 miles
Diversion: 1.2 miles
To: End (Canada at Sault Ste Marie, MI) - 57.3 miles

To: Sault Ste Marie, ON (Construction) (I-75, l, ON-550) - 62.3 miles
To: Sudbury, ON (I-75, l, TCH/ON-17) - 250.1 miles

Splits a 113.2 mile gap between Gaylord, MI and Sault Ste. Marie, ON, and provides better options for driving from Southwestern and Southern Michigan to the Upper Pensinsula and North Ontario. Also, if Escanaba, MI is ever built, it'll allow easier looping around the Upper Peninsula.

With this, I think Tesla won't be building the Sault Ste. Marie, MI Supercharger.

• Disagree
Reactions: krtrice
I was going to say that pad looked a bit too small to fit 4 cabinets.... :)

That pad will be for the switchgear and two auto transformers. The two charging cabinets will be mounted on pads that have yet to be poured... you can see the bundle of conduits for one of the charging cabinets sticking out of the ground in one of the pictures.

• Informative
Reactions: IT Geek and gonzo
That pad will be for the switchgear and two auto transformers. The two charging cabinets will be mounted on pads that have yet to be poured... you can see the bundle of conduits for one of the charging cabinets sticking out of the ground in one of the pictures.

Yep, you're right (as usual when it comes to these things) :)

I have to head up to Traverse City at the end of the month, so unless they work at breakneck speed (and then steal pedestals from somewhere else) I'm going to miss this one until 2020. Hopefully they do work fast though, because as we all know...winter is coming. :)

Question. Is this Supercharger in Mackinaw or in Mackinac? Are they pronounced the same way?
They are pronounced the same (MAK-in-aw) but Mackinac is the island whereas Mackinaw is the township on the lower peninsula from which you can take a ferry to the island. You can also take a ferry from St. Ignace on the upper peninsula which is across the Mackinac Bridge and straight from Mackinaw City.

The island would be an odd place for a supercharger as they don't allow typical passenger vehicles, only a few emergency vehicles and snowmobiles, instead everyone on the island walks, bikes, or uses horse drawn carriage. Eventually it could get L2 chargers when they convert their emergency vehicles to EVs.

Wow I was here a couple weeks ago with my Model 3. I elected to not use the Level 2 chargers at this parking lot as I didn't feel like spending $10 to park here (I had free parking at the hotel next door) and I had enough range to get back to Gaylord Supercharger.

Glad to see some progress here. Now if only they would finish the Swartz Creek one so I can have a stop between me and Frankenmuth and then start the Novi one so I can have another option in case of emergencies near me.

Reactions: GSP