Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Macon, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess a better highway location would be in the corner of I-75 and I-475 but I'm not sure there are many attractions there - Google Maps The current location will force those going south on I-75 past Macon to go a little out of the way but not terribly. Just good thing one is coming!

If I-475 had been routed east of I-75, e.g., closer to Savannah, the choice of SC location might have been quite a bit different. That said, if you need to use the Macon SC, the extra 5-10 minutes added by taking I-75 instead of I475 shouldn't be a significant inconvenience.

New pictures from Macon. Complements of Srinivas Meduri.

10168014_728676930488975_1118561663521410927_n.jpg

I have to say, this is way farther along than I thought. My contact gave me this message on 4/17 - "We signed the lease this week and they are getting started ASAP. They have gotten permits and should be working in the next week or so." They've move quickly!

Here are a few more pictures from the same source as above. I know Cottonwood is interested in whats on site. Unfortunately no pictures of the panels.

1972471_728677003822301_8817221926020163191_n.jpg

10271501_728677023822299_8483315075200855251_n.jpg

10314009_728676950488973_2038651123868631236_n.jpg

Could someone please start a post for Macon on the Tips thread on the Tesla Motors Site, Sign into My Tesla | Tesla Motors, since this looks from the photos like it may be hard to locate, and also info about bathrooms, restaurants in walking distance etc. Looks like the build is coming along quickly. Hope to be able to do Jacksonville to Atlanta (via Savannah) in early June. Any rumors about the I75 corridor further south - Tifton or Valdosta?

(The link really does go to the correct thread, even though it displays as the sign-on page.)

Last edited:
I have to say, this is way farther along than I thought. My contact gave me this message on 4/17 - "We signed the lease this week and they are getting started ASAP. They have gotten permits and should be working in the next week or so." They've move quickly!

Here are a few more pictures from the same source as above. I know Cottonwood is interested in whats on site. Unfortunately no pictures of the panels.

It sure looks like the project is pretty close to completion, and Atlanta folks will be connected to the I-95 corridor via Savannah soon. What panels are you referring to?

That is absolutely amazing progress since the picture on April 11:

Here is a shot from the ground of the highlighted location. I took this when I was in Macon April 11.

View attachment 47899

It is actually shorter to go through Macon on I75...

I just searched Atlanta -> Gainsville on Google Maps and it has you using I-475.

However like I think we've all been saying, its really not that far out to the way. An extra 6 miles and 7 minutes. At least we'll have access to a Supercharger!

If you are going through Macon on I-75 it is much better to go 475 (during the seemingly decade long construction maybe not). The reason why the Supercharger isn't on I-475 is because it is terribly inconvenient for I-16 to Savannah (and thus the I-95 corridor). So mildly inconvenient for I-75 travel, and very convenient for I-16 travel.

75.PNG
475.PNG

It sure looks like the project is pretty close to completion, and Atlanta folks will be connected to the I-95 corridor via Savannah soon. What panels are you referring to?

That is absolutely amazing progress since the picture on April 11:

Thought you'd be interested in the white panels on some of the equipment to see the specs. I know you like to see the whole site, transformers, etc.

I dropped by around noon today and talked at length with one of the installers. The SC will be 'on' this evening, but I don't know if it'll be in service. It will be fully operational next week. 4 superchargers, 8 vehicle connectors. He said the connectors are of the new type, which are lighted. The red TESLA logo on the front lights up and also there is a light that shines down in the open space where the cable is stored. The parking lot is not lighted after dark. As part of the installation a single light pole will be added, but a different contractor will be adding that in the next few weeks. You can see the mounting base for it between connectors 4 and 5. Having lived in Macon for a long time I would not recommend visiting this location after dark.

IMG_20140501_122633.jpg
IMG_20140501_125229.jpg

I dropped by around noon today and talked at length with one of the installers. The SC will be 'on' this evening, but I don't know if it'll be in service. It will be fully operational next week. 4 superchargers, 8 vehicle connectors. He said the connectors are of the new type, which are lighted. The red TESLA logo on the front lights up and also there is a light that shines down in the open space where the cable is stored. The parking lot is not lighted after dark. As part of the installation a single light pole will be added, but a different contractor will be adding that in the next few weeks. You can see the mounting base for it between connectors 4 and 5. Having lived in Macon for a long time I would not recommend visiting this location after dark.

That is GREAT news. Thanks for the info. I think this might be the first sight to use the new covers outside of Hawthorne!

If the April 11 date for the picture before ground breaking is correct at Supercharger - Macon, GA - Page 2 , this could be a record for the fastest install at under 4 weeks! (not counting mobile Superchargers)

Unfortunately that will not happen. That date requires too quick of a turn around.

Looks like I have to go back on my statement that it will not be done by 5/8. It's looking very possible now.

- - - Updated - - -

If the April 11 date for the picture before ground breaking is correct at Supercharger - Macon, GA - Page 2 , this could be a record for the fastest install at under 4 weeks! (not counting mobile Superchargers)

Have you seen the new covers on any other chargers yet?

Did anyone think to ask where the crew was going next???

I did; they are heading to South Carolina next. He said the city but I can't remember what he said. This crew is out of Michigan; the equipment is delivered in a POD (as you can see in a previous post/picture) and they open it up and set it up. He was really surprised to see so many chargers and connectors for the Macon location and also that they were the newest type. I found it interesting they don't even know what they're getting into until they arrive on site and open the package.

I did; they are heading to South Carolina next. He said the city but I can't remember what he said. This crew is out of Michigan; the equipment is delivered in a POD (as you can see in a previous post/picture) and they open it up and set it up. He was really surprised to see so many chargers and connectors for the Macon location and also that they were the newest type. I found it interesting they don't even know what they're getting into until they arrive on site and open the package.

The only dot in South Carolina in the near future, "Coming Soon" or "End of 2014", is Greenville. Does that ring a bell? I don't think they have their permit yet. They better hurry up!

Looks like the new Pedestals are at Hamilton, NJ as well; see Supercharger - Hamilton Marketplace, NJ. Maybe the new Pedestals go with the new 135 kW Cabinets. Someone needs to get a close up of the labels on the Supercharger Cabinets in Macon to check it out.

I thought so too at first. But there is no red on the inside of the Hamilton location. Not sure what piece that is to but I did recognize they were different.