Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Macon, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, come on, they have a week. If true, and the way this crew works, Atlanta could have two routes to I-95 by June!

We got our tip about The Point in Greenville in early April. Doesn't seem like the permitting process is going very quickly there. I feel like the real delays in Superchargers aren't on Tesla or their contractors, but the municipalities and the utilities.

I just searched Atlanta -> Gainsville on Google Maps and it has you using I-475.

However like I think we've all been saying, its really not that far out to the way. An extra 6 miles and 7 minutes. At least we'll have access to a Supercharger!

I was wrong 475 is shorter but can take longer due to traffic at some times. I have noticed that I encounter less traffic through Macon on 75 most of the time now...

Last edited:
More pictures this morning from a member in our Atlanta Facebook group.

10157142_10202107282988043_1325986162461455235_n.jpg

10177913_10202107283108046_3739846701957347227_n.jpg

10259952_10202107283308051_6220943439621573761_n.jpg

10330395_10202107283508056_2991963047601193042_n.jpg

Makes me wonder why they didn't do this bilateral or maybe even a drive-through access (like gas pumps) from very beginning? I admit they would have to find sites that would allow such placements first - but would that be so difficult?

I was thinking the same thing this morning. Gas pump-like SC placements, e.g., 2 close together facing in opposite directions. However, @emupilot makes a good point. In Macon's current setup, (nearly) doubling the number of potential parking spaces might decrease risk of ICE'ing.

I wonder if 4 of the Tesla signs omit the "general parking" portion...

I have a question -- don't have a Tesla yet, so I don't know... does the owner have to be there to start a SC session? i.e., if all these stations are busy, can I park in one of the opposing slots and allow the current person charging to start my charge when they are done, without my being present?

I have a question -- don't have a Tesla yet, so I don't know... does the owner have to be there to start a SC session? i.e., if all these stations are busy, can I park in one of the opposing slots and allow the current person charging to start my charge when they are done, without my being present?

In other words, can somebody without the fob, take the charge cord, open the charge door and plug it in? Good question since I don't know the answer myself.

Sounds good, so another driver can plug you in, but can't unplug you just because they feel more deserving of the charge. I guess it might be better if it could be unplugged if fully charged...

So this is a good SC layout at this location for lots of reasons.

You can also use this Supercharger app to initiate the request for the other driver to plug you in when he/she is done.

The construction is done. My wife drove down on her way to Savannah and took the following pictures. There were no trucks/pods/trailers. All looks done. Someone just needs to go and test the chargers to see if they are operational.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG
IMG_0231.JPG.jpeg
IMG_0230.JPG.jpeg

According to the installer I was speaking with last week when I took the construction pictures, official testing is supposed to take place Tuesday, 5/6. I'm planning to drop by tomorrow and see if there's anything going on. If so I'll post more pictures of them in use. According to the last post on the PlugShare app, someone stopped by 17 hours ago (that would be 5/4/14 3pm) and posted that construction was complete but there's no power yet. I don't have a Tesla so I can't test it myself.

I did; they are heading to South Carolina next. He said the city but I can't remember what he said. This crew is out of Michigan; the equipment is delivered in a POD (as you can see in a previous post/picture) and they open it up and set it up. He was really surprised to see so many chargers and connectors for the Macon location and also that they were the newest type. I found it interesting they don't even know what they're getting into until they arrive on site and open the package.

I was mistaken. They are heading to NORTH Carolina next. Huntersville. Sorry about that.