Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Macon, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a great location for a SC in Macon

I'd like to echo a previous request for tips on the surrounding area here. When we are road tripping, a stop must include convenient restroom access for the family. If we pull in here at 9:30am on a Saturday or Sunday morning on the way to FL, where do we go while charging? Any info would be much appreciated.

I stopped at the SC in Macon on my way to/from Savannah. On the way down we stopped in the afternoon and walked over to the decent tavern. We had a drink and a snack, and used the BR. That was great. On the way back, we stopped around 730AM on Memorial Day. As you may imagine, nothing was open - including the visitor's center, so no refreshments/food/bathrooms for us. We walked around the area... and the area is quite sketchy. I wouldn't recommend walking around at night on your own, that is for sure. Even during the day, I wouldn't walk around if I were a female.

So - if you wish to use a bathroom or grab a bite, you will need to time your stop at the Macon SC to align with the times the visitor's center or restaurants are open.

Dan

We stopped at the Macon SC twice last week and really enjoyed the visits. As with any downtown area, there are places to avoid such as the train station where there were a bunch of people kind of “hanging around”. But in the other direction, a couple blocks from the SC there is a nice coffee shop, “Taste & See” at 546 Poplar Street that was nice for a 20 minute charge. On the return trip, tried “Doughboy Pizza” at 490 Cherry Street and sat outside enjoying the food and city atmosphere.

I have to echo FLUXED P85s comments. My son and I had a nice lunch at the Market City Cafe, 502 Cherry Street. The food was good and reasonably priced and there is a bakery inside as well. Kind of a breakfast/lunch joint open from 7am to 3pm Tues through Thurs, Fri and Sat open until 9pm, Sun 11 to 3. Closed on Mondays. Barefoot Tavern was good as well but doesn't open until 4pm on weekdays. Lemongrass, also on Cherry, looked like it was worth a look... maybe next time. Love the convenient on/off from exit 2, Route 16 but the Superchargers aren't in the nicest location to be sure.

Macon is a unsafe location in the middle of the most blighted area of the city. It would be dangerous to charge at night or on weekends.
Really? It has been open for quite some time and, though I have heard of others being concerned for their safety there, I have never heard of anyone being accosted. I have charged there only twice and I agree it is not one of my favorite locations, I was not so worried that I would not return when necessary.

Hummm! There must be a reason AND an interesting story as to why this previously live site is off the Teslamotors supercharging map.

Very puzzling:confused:!

Your assignment "Macon Locals," should you decide to accept it, is to find out wether this site is actually out of service and why. Report back immediately to TMC on this thread, as this matter is of great concern to all alf us. This mission is on the record so this written request will not self destruct as you would usually expect.

Cue music......

Really? It has been open for quite some time and, though I have heard of others being concerned for their safety there, I have never heard of anyone being accosted. I have charged there only twice and I agree it is not one of my favorite locations, I was not so worried that I would not return when necessary.

It's in a dark alley. There are no facilities in the evening or on weekends. It's an area of town where 80% of the store fronts are burned out and closed. There are homeless people all around the area. We must have different ideas as to what makes an area acceptable.

Macon hosts an annual Cherry Blossom Festival each spring, March 20-29 this year. Since it attracts tens of thousands of visitors, there's a better than even chance several, if not all, of the chargers will be ICE'd and a 100% chance traffic will be horrendous. For example, there will be dozens of tour buses roaming the downtown area, with many parking behind the Convention Center. Nonetheless, it's a perfect time to experience Macon, especially the downtown historic district.

As I mentioned in another thread, I lived 4 blocks from the superchargers for 7+ years. I walked the length of Cherry Street many times, and never felt threatened or afraid. YMMV.

This is my last comment and is for TI Sailor and Chipper. There is someone FB right now trying to charge and wondering where to go safely for a restroom stop or a place to eat. To stay within guidelines of the forum I will keep it civil. The consensus is that this location is a bad location. There is some debate as to safety. It's my opinion that at night anyone would be placing their lives and property in danger charging there. As for walking from there to eat, that is also a bad idea. What is not debatable is that there are multiple burned out and abandoned store fronts in the area. What is not debatable is that there are many homeless people in the area. What is not debatable is that the places are constantly filled with non-EV's. What is not debatable is that had they placed the chargers at the Forsyth exit it would have been far better safer, and near chain restaurants. Now, I am done commenting on all forums and on FB about this matter. This is my position. It's a terrible location. I would onely stop there in an emergency and would not leave my car. It's in a bad location. Get over it.

I charged here recently during the day and didn't have any issues/concerns with location. Having said that, I lived in downtown Macon for almost 3 years (left in 2007), so I had familiarity with the area that some folks might not have. If it was late at night, I wouldn't want my wife there by herself, but overall I think downtown Macon is a good bit safer than it's given (dis)credit for.

It's in a dark alley. There are no facilities in the evening or on weekends. It's an area of town where 80% of the store fronts are burned out and closed. There are homeless people all around the area. We must have different ideas as to what makes an area acceptable.
I have charged here several times although I have little personal knowledge of the area. However, there are some factual errors in your post:
1) the location is NOT "in a dark alley". It is quite open beside the bus station and the Museum.
2) nowhere near "80% of the store fronts are burned out and closed". It is not the most upscale neighborhood but it is not a disaster.
3) there are NOT "homeless people throughout the area". There are some.
As a resident of a famously risky large city, a former resident of several others, I object to hyperbole in describing urban locations. That said, some would prefer suburban shopping center locations for everything. Not everyone shares that preference.

We're passing through the Macon area tomorrow night moving my daughter to Tallahassee in a Penske truck (wo/ Tesla this time). Can anyone who has stayed over recommend a good value hotel in the general area? We'll only be there for 12 hours so not looking to splurge. Thanks!