Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Macquarie Park, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the mystery carton. Clearly supercharger stalls. Not yet installed as of Monday 18 may.
upload_2020-5-18_12-5-38.jpeg

Reactions: ARMARM and Chuq
Astonished to find 9 out of 10 being use this Sunday arvo, the shopping centre was heaving!
Social distancing has been completely forgotten about. In the mind of 99% of the public C-19 is gone. I had a late lunch at a cafe today, just about every table had someone sitting at it, no way was there 4 sq.m per person. I had the COVIDSafe app on. And used my hand sanitiser, a lot.

Social distancing has been completely forgotten about. In the mind of 99% of the public C-19 is gone. I had a late lunch at a cafe today, just about every table had someone sitting at it, no way was there 4 sq.m per person. I had the COVIDSafe app on. And used my hand sanitiser, a lot.
from the virus point of view there is zero difference now to when the crisis first erupted. The only practical difference is that it is not widespread. Oh, and authorities are somewhat more ready on the health front. That could change dramatically especially with the dicks at the unnecessary rallies and of course idiots as you point out in the shopping centres. Personally I maintain my distancing, walking the corridors of that centre like a drunk weaving from side to side to avoid the mob, use heaps of hand sanitiser, use a P2 mask on the rare occasions I am on public transport (not a surgical mask which is useless for the purpose) and only go to a restaurant where they have appropriate distancing.

Well it’s a good experiment to test if we really have sufficiently suppressed the virus.
With the rallies two weeks old and the shopping centres packed for the past two weeks if there’s no major outbreak in the next week or so we will know we are out of the woods.

Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
I had an interesting/weird thing at the Macquarie Centre Supercharger earlier this morning. Was showing 8 bays free (ie two occupied). Got there and there was nobody there. Plugged in to charge (bay 1B) and - even with the battery pre-conditioned from a 1/2 hour drive and 30% SoC - was only getting 65kW, ie about 1/2 speed.

Moved to a different bay (4A) and then got the full expected 130kW, and charged normally.

What I saw was that Tesla continued to think two more bays were in use than actually were (for the whole time I was charging, 1/2 hour or so).

So what it seemed was that 1A for example was (incorrectly) considered as being in use, hence 1B only having 1/2 power available. I didn’t try plugging in to 1A, was more concerned with getting my charge done and getting on my way, so I don’t know if it was working (cable was in the holster as normal rather than slung over the top) but has anyone seen something like that before - where some bays are “occupied” when they aren’t, and also you get 1/2 power on a particular bay even in a situation where the whole station is unoccupied (and other bays give full-speed charging)?

• Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile
I got 127kW there yesterday with 8 other cars charging. I had a spare space next to me. I did look for the bay label at the time but I couldn’t easily see it so didn’t bother further. Which is stall 1?
I charged there last week too and got "full speed" (not on that 1B stall though) and as I said moving from 1B to 4A this morning got me immediately from 65kW peak to the correct 130kW peak.

1A is the furthest one on the "left" bank of stalls and 1B is one in - back towards the entrance - from it. 4A is about 1/2 way along the "right" bank of stalls (where you have to go past the valet building - in front or behind - to get to them)

I looked in the history of Plugshare comments actually after posting to this thread this morning. There have been several people either mentioning slowness or reporting specifically a ~65kW peak at stalls 1A and 1B in the last few weeks.

I just re-looked now too - properly on plugshare.com on my desktop computer - and found what appears to be a definitive comment about it (which I wished I had seen earlier because I could have saved myself some time this morning...) from user "somethingstartingwiths" back on 12-Dec-22: "Units 1A + 1B seem to be capping out at 65kW on last two visits even if no one else on other chargers. Moved to 5B and straight up to 128kW". Also from user "duka" on 4-Jan-23: "Charging on 1A, 1B empty. I have low SOC 7 %, so charging rate (64 kW) seems slow."

Doesn't directly explain why the Tesla app+car consistently thinks 2 more bays are in use than what are actually in use at that site, but maybe that's what happens as some side-effect of whatever is wrong with bays 1A/1B giving 1/2 power only? It's not that the two bays are completely removed from the count, because when I plugged in (at both 1B and 4A) the number of available bays went from 8 to 7 in both cases - even though I was the only car around and it should have been going from 10 to 9.

Anyway, pro-tip: don't bother using bays 1A/1B there (furthest two on the left hand side of the station) until people start reporting they are getting the proper peak speeds on Plugshare - unless you deliberately want a slower charge for more shopping time perhaps?

Anyway, pro-tip: don't bother using bays 1A/1B there (furthest two on the left hand side of the station) until people start reporting they are getting the proper peak speeds on Plugshare - unless you deliberately want a slower charge for more shopping time perhaps?

I suggest reporting this to Tesla. They might already know about it - or maybe they don’t.

I suggest reporting this to Tesla. They might already know about it - or maybe they don’t.
I’ll do so shortly - it’s a pretty busy site (I don’t charge there often myself but just happen to have done so twice in the last few days). Via the app or do you know if there is an Australian supercharging mailbox I should email to?

Reactions: Hairyman