Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Madison, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone know when it will go in service? its been saying 2018 for over a year now.. i make the drive down i20 often (its the only good thing to come out of alabama) and this would make it a much more pleasant experience when this one opens

Permit Number
Issued Date
Permit Type
Address
Parcel ID
Valuation
Owner Name
Contractor
2021-026-ELE
03-08-2021
Electrical
2012 Eatonton Road
046A 008 A
$125,000.00
Tesla, Inc.
Global-Technical Solutions,LLC

New permit for a Supercharger in Madison at 2012 Eatonton Rd. Issued date fits in well with Tesla's Q2 estimate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Madison, GA

Along Primary Interstates: I-20
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-129, US-278, US-441
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-20

To: Augusta - Belair Frontage Rd, GA - 80 miles
Diversion: 0.7 miles
To: Augusta, GA - 85.9 miles

To: Athens, GA (US-129/US-441, US-29) - 31.3 miles
To: Macon, GA (US-129, GA-22, US-129) - 61.3 miles
To: Metter, GA (US-441, l, I-16) - 146.3 miles

Splits one of the larger gaps in I-20, the 123 miles from Lithonia, GA to Augusta - Belair Frontage Rd, GA.
This gap is currently the 56th largest gap* along Interstates.

Also is on US Numbered Highways, including concurrent N-S highways US-129 and US-441.

* to my knowledge.

WooHoo! This is one I've been waiting for! About 45 miles from my home so if I find myself short on charge returning from South Carolina, I can plug in and within 7-10 minutes, easily get home! A Bio break there might also be helpful coming from Augusta. It will also shorten my charge time in Augusta. I'm a big fan of more 10-15 minute stops than one 30-40 min stop spaced well apart. This not only gives flexibility but is easier on the battery and allows for more bio-breaks at convenient times. One can always charge longer to stretch a travel leg but its really nice to be able to charge shorter without worrying about making it home or to a destination where one knows they will charge while they aren't actually doing the traveling but relaxing with friends or family over a cocktail!

I would still love to see one about 70 miles out of Charleston up I-26. The one in East Point Georgia that effectively services the Atlanta airport is a super location also. About to open any day now! Columbus, GA and Dublin, GA (I-16 and 441) (both planned) is really ripe for a SC also.

The SC system near Atlanta is rapidly becoming "Adequate". I'm loving it when it becomes clearly "Superior" to gas stations for travel. Within 100 miles of my home (where I have a wall charger), it was already "Superior" to gas stations as I never have to wait for a pump, It takes 5 seconds to plug and unplug out of the weather in my garage, and "fuel" price is effectively $0.60/gallon equivalent!

Last edited:
Columbus, GA and Dublin, GA (I-16 and 441) (both planned) is really ripe for a SC also.
FYI that Dublin site is moving right along through the process, so we should see signs of it soon (permit or construction). Keep an eye on the Burger King there.

I've alerted the local Atlanta ownership community. We should have eyes on the site within 24 hours :)
Well clearly I overestimated how quickly people would react to this :)

FYI that Dublin site is moving right along through the process, so we should see signs of it soon (permit or construction). Keep an eye on the Burger King there.

Well clearly I overestimated how quickly people would react to this :)

Yep. If I remember correctly, there is a Cracker Barrel and Zaxby's on the other side of I -16. Either side of the Interstate would be fine as there are plenty of fast food and other things easily within walking distance.

WooHoo! This is one I've been waiting for! About 45 miles from my home so if I find myself short on charge returning from South Carolina, I can plug in and within 7-10 minutes, easily get home! A Bio break there might also be helpful coming from Augusta. It will also shorten my charge time in Augusta. I'm a big fan of more 10-15 minute stops than one 30-40 min stop spaced well apart. This not only gives flexibility but is easier on the battery and allows for more bio-breaks at convenient times. One can always charge longer to stretch a travel leg but its really nice to be able to charge shorter without worrying about making it home or to a destination where one knows they will charge while they aren't actually doing the traveling but relaxing with friends or family over a cocktail!

I would still love to see one about 70 miles out of Charleston up I-26. The one in East Point Georgia that effectively services the Atlanta airport is a super location also. About to open any day now! Columbus, GA and Dublin, GA (I-16 and 441) (both planned) is really ripe for a SC also.

The SC system near Atlanta is rapidly becoming "Adequate". I'm loving it when it becomes clearly "Superior" to gas stations for travel. Within 100 miles of my home (where I have a wall charger), it was already "Superior" to gas stations as I never have to wait for a pump, It takes 5 seconds to plug and unplug out of the weather in my garage, and "fuel" price is effectively $0.60/gallon equivalent!
I 100% agree on more frequent, and shorter charging stops vs less frequent, longer stops. I travel a lot for business and my typical Supercharging stop is 10-15 minutes. With V3 stations and a low SOC this yields even better results.

You have also hit the nail on the head regarding the I-26 corridor. There’s a ~200 mile gap between Charleston and Greenville with no Supercharging along I-26. You can divert to Santee on I-95 or Columbia on I-77 but those are 20-30 minute round trip diversions. There’s a new QT going in right now in Columbia at the intersection of I-26 and I-77 that would be perfect for a Supercharger. I reached out to Tesla (no response) and QT (got a phone call from a very polite young man thanking me and saying they will “look into it”) But I’m not holding my breath. I’ve also reached out to EVgo about upgrading their existing station at the Spinx in Irmo. It’s only a 50 kW single station site, so ideally they would upgrade to 150 kW and add a native Tesla charger, and possibly add a few more stations to the site. Quite frankly even at 50 kW I’d probably use it to keep from diverting all the way to Farrow Rd / I-77.

It’s only a 50 kW single station site, so ideally they would upgrade to 150 kW and add a native Tesla charger
The EVgo stations with a "native" Tesla plug are really just normal CHAdeMO stations that have a form of built-in or grafted on CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapter. So increasing the station power is completely irrelevant from a Tesla standpoint. The most you can get is still limited by the adapter to 50kW even if the station could theoretically output more.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
It’s only a 50 kW single station site, so ideally they would upgrade to 150 kW and add a native Tesla charger, and possibly add a few more stations to the site. Quite frankly even at 50 kW I’d probably use it to keep from diverting all the way to Farrow Rd / I-77.

I've used the Electrify America station with the CHAdeMO adapter several times for this reason. It is almost always better than the diversion in the 3 or Y, IMO and EA is cheaper than EVGo, at least in SC.

Looks like they are moving quickly. Right behind McDonalds.
5A28B802-ABA3-4484-84B5-66C8871FA0A7.jpeg