Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Madison, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving from Culpeper to Charlottesville, VA today and was surprised to see construction at a Sheetz a few miles south of Culpeper in Madison, VA (2902 S Seminole Trl, Madison, VA 22727). I spoke with an employee who confirmed it is a Tesla supercharger with a planned opening of August 16th. You can see the construction and footings in the attached pictures. This will make travel from the DC area even easier. It is really exciting to see all of these superchargers going in at Sheetz stations. I will definitely avail myself of their services!

CCC46072-6A74-459A-936F-0084BF6AAB95.jpeg
D5ECA4A8-02B5-4E9C-A79E-573BEB2CD2A5.jpeg
Not sure why the pictures didn’t attach.

I noticed this location appear on supercharge.info

It's at a Sheetz located at 2902 S Seminole Trl, Madison, VA 22727, not much else within walking distance.

Thread with some construction pics was started on TMC by @ElectricCarVA at the supercharging and charging infrastructure forum which I don't frequent so reposting here.

Supercharger construction at Madison, VA Sheetz

There's already a thread for that - in fact that's why it's on Supercharge.info:

Supercharger construction at Madison, VA Sheetz

Not sure why that thread is over on the
Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure North America section. Maybe it should be moved here?

Little bit surprising location. There is a Sheetz a little north of that in Opal where 17 splits off of 29 or could have been Culpeper near 29 and Rt. 3. But, any new SC is welcome.
It's not just a matter of which location would be the most advantageous for the most travelers. On that basis, if it was a choice of either-or, Culpeper would definitely have been best. Also when considered from a supercharger spacing perspective, between Charlottesville and Haymarket. But there are often other issues driving the decision. E.g. Parking/space availability and allotments, store layout and traffic patterns, planned construction/retrofits schedules (i.e. for the stores but not connected to potential supercharger installation), local management buy-in, local jurisdiction planning/zoning/development costs and schedules, etc.

As outsiders, we never really know what went into a specific spot getting tapped. But it's also still possible that those other locations remain under consideration/development for future supercharging installations.

Reactions: dsnows and vdiv
Another potential factor: Feedback from customers. When they started the renovation of the store near the airport in Lynchburg, I know a few of the local owners reached out to Sheetz directly and, one would hope, they listened. Every time I've been in contact with them, they have responded positively and it never hurts to tell them how much you appreciate their efforts to support renewable energy/transportation.

Maybe I should try that at the Danville Sheetz. Did you go inside and ask for the manager, or call/email?
Just sent comments through the website identifying the store number and some justification for why I thought it was an excellent location. They emailed a reply and I replied back with thanks when they confirmed the site was going to get SuCs. Never hurts to be polite and thankful, good luck!

Reactions: vdiv and Big Earl
Just sent comments through the website identifying the store number and some justification for why I thought it was an excellent location. They emailed a reply and I replied back with thanks when they confirmed the site was going to get SuCs. Never hurts to be polite and thankful, good luck!
I'm taking my own advice: For some reason, Sheetz has zero presence around Williamsburg, VA and there is a real need for charging infrastructure there. I know it's a long shot, but I submitted a suggestion that they consider looking at Williamsburg for at least one store (with EV charging, of course). As I've said before, it never hurts!

Reactions: vdiv
I'm taking my own advice: For some reason, Sheetz has zero presence around Williamsburg, VA and there is a real need for charging infrastructure there. I know it's a long shot, but I submitted a suggestion that they consider looking at Williamsburg for at least one store (with EV charging, of course). As I've said before, it never hurts!

Yup, Williamsburg really does need one. At least we found out this week that the Newport News location is now under construction.

Reactions: dsnows and swengl
Yup, Williamsburg really does need one. At least we found out this week that the Newport News location is now under construction.
Well, they replied back and politely told me that there were no plans for a Williamsburg store currently. I went ahead and sent Wawa a message since they have 2 stores in Williamsburg (only one that really makes sense though). Fingers crossed!

• Informative
Reactions: BlueRidgeksky