Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Madras, OR (LIVE Jul 2022, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did the Highway 97 drive north yesterday [cool, mid-30's], left Redmond with about 74% SOC and arrived at The Dalles with 19%. Thinking about how much more straightforward the Hwy97 drive would be if you could instead leave Madras at ~90% and arrive in Yakima without diverting west to the crappy Dalles SC. The Dalles has an odd five stalls (three labeled A and two B) and, with two others' there, it was impossible not to split the remaining charge. Even after one person left I only got 57kW and had to move to another to get 130kW. A v3 charger in Madras, and then Yakima, would allow driving 97N directly and eliminate stopping at the similarly small and variable-output Ellensburg SC. I would guess that those with an SR+ battery would be even more excited to see this route realigned with a Madras SC, especially in winter. Yakima coming soon is obviously the lynchpin for making Hwy97 more functional too.

I live in Tacoma and go to Bend every winter. I can't reliably make it from Sandy to Bend during the winter in our Model X. So, I have to either use my LR Model 3 (not dual motor) or go Highway 22. A supercharger in Madras would make my trip much easier to do.

Madras would be a nice addition, but I'm confused by this comment:
The Dalles has an odd five stalls (three labeled A and two B) and, with two others' there, it was impossible not to split the remaining charge

V2 stalls are shared between A/B of the same number, not among all the A's or all the B's. So at a 5-stall site, you can always find an unpaired stall even if 2 cars are already there. Of course, other issues might limit charge speed...

For 97, a SC located at the intersection of OR 138 (turn off to crater lake) would be ideal. Its about 100 north of K. Falls, and 120 south of Bend. If not, then a little north to Chemult. But I envision a lot of people traveling to Crater Lake, so having a SC at the turn off would be really convenient.

Reactions: bruce4000
For 97, a SC located at the intersection of OR 138 (turn off to crater lake) would be ideal. Its about 100 north of K. Falls, and 120 south of Bend. If not, then a little north to Chemult. But I envision a lot of people traveling to Crater Lake, so having a SC at the turn off would be really convenient.
Bend to Klamath Falls is 136 miles total.

Actual miles yes. I was talking in terms of battery miles (the number I use to calculate range + buffer), i.e. when I leave Bend Supercharger with about 260~ miles. I tend to get to K. Falls charger with around 40-60~ depending.

Thanks for the helpful comment. I realize that it must normally be different, but unless I'm blind and read them wrong, here the stalls were labeled 1A, 2A, and 3A, in succession, then 1B and 2B. So to me, that implies even charging at one of the A stalls with another car would split the charge in thirds, no?
No. Stalls share when they have a common number, not common letter. 1A shares with 1B, 2A shares with 2B, and 3A doesn’t share.

Madras would be good for anyone coming from Eastern WA. Kennewick and Pendleton are quite far away, and The Dalles adds a fair bit onto the trip. That and that supercharger is high traffic for outside of CA, small, and old. Ellensburg, but OR

Okay, now I just really don't remember clearly enough to be certain either way. But if it's 1A, 2A, 3A, 1B and 2B from R > L, it's not set up to split by number, clearly, since 1A is not adjacent to 1B. So it seemed to me that they were paired by letter in this case?

No, the number always refers to the charging cabinet the stall is hooked to. So the same number are always the ones that shares. (V2/Urban sites only have two, A&B, per cabinet, V3 sites have up to four per cabinet, A/B/C/D.)

Reactions: Tectonic
Note that the numbering/lettering is not always in numerical order. For example, the south stalls in Springfield, OR are set up as 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B. So, the person you are parked next to is not sharing power with you - the person 4 stalls down is. Strange and confusing. Just remember the numbers. Don't share a number if you can help it.

Note that the numbering/lettering is not always in numerical order. For example, the south stalls in Springfield, OR are set up as 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B. So, the person you are parked next to is not sharing power with you - the person 4 stalls down is. Strange and confusing. Just remember the numbers. Don't share a number if you can help it.
Now THAT is a genuinely helpful comment, thanks! It’s not at all intuitive when general habit would be to try not to park alongside someone.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I’ve driven Tesla S since 2013.... and never realized the rule is “get your own number” for maximum charge rate until just now !
Note though that this rule doesn’t apply to the newer V3 (250kW) sites or Urban (72kW) chargers. Those don’t do the A/B sharing like the V2 (typically 150kW) sites, and (at least in theory) it shouldn’t matter which stall you pick with V3 or Urban.

Okay, now I just really don't remember clearly enough to be certain either way. But if it's 1A, 2A, 3A, 1B and 2B from R > L, it's not set up to split by number, clearly, since 1A is not adjacent to 1B. So it seemed to me that they were paired by letter in this case?
They are always paired by number. How they are configured is irrelevant. But like others have pointed out, this only applies to v2 superchargers which are becoming less and less common relative to the entire supercharger network. I wouldn't be surprised if they were phased out entirely eventually.

Actual miles yes. I was talking in terms of battery miles (the number I use to calculate range + buffer), i.e. when I leave Bend Supercharger with about 260~ miles. I tend to get to K. Falls charger with around 40-60~ depending.
It will vary a lot more than that depending on weather conditions and how you drive. I'm guessing you have only driven this stretch in winter, because that's what those numbers sound like.

I wouldn't mind seeing another supercharger on that stretch, but I'm not entirely convinced it is necessary. I'm also not sure if there is even proper electrical supply for a supercharger between say Sunriver and Chiloquin, so that could be limiting.

Took 5 years but at least it's here!!!

Madras.jpg