Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Madras, OR (LIVE Jul 2022, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Madras should be helpful for those travelling Hwy 97. Did that route in 2019 and got from Ellensburg to Bend with minimal charge left (did not divert to the The Dalles). Since then Yakima has opened which would help. On the Canadian side, Osoyoos should be open in the near future.

Madras, OR

Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-26, US-97
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-26

To: Boise, ID - 329.1 miles
Diversion: 0.1 miles
To: Idaho Falls, ID - 609.3 miles

US-97

To: Yakima, WA - 176.7 miles
Diversion: 0.3 miles*
To: Ellensburg, WA - 210.5 miles

US-26 and US-97 coverage, Particularly helpful on on US-97 where it splits a 220.2 mile gap reducing the gap to 176.7 miles to Yakima, WA.

*Yes, it's different but should be the same. The mapping is just odd sometimes.

Yes!!! If traveling from Montana/Idaho/Washington through Kennewick to Bend, Or and south, it has been touch and go if you decide to forego the Dalles which saves a lot of time and worry (of availability). Madras always has a few level two chargers (slowwww) as a backup for a few miles to get to Bend.
This will make a big difference and Madras can become a Supercharger pit stop.

All we need is Boardman and Oregon is dialed! (except for SE Oregon…).
I think the most important location now is Albany. Because right now, you can't drive to Corvallis and the back to Bend without charging somewhere. And then, a second SC in Bend, such as north side at the Target; this is because the current state of the older SC is starting to get too congested.

I think the most important location now is Albany. Because right now, you can't drive to Corvallis and the back to Bend without charging somewhere. And then, a second SC in Bend, such as north side at the Target; this is because the current state of the older SC is starting to get too congested.

Madras, OR should relieve some of the congestion in Bend, OR. It'll be preferred because it's v3.

Reactions: bruce4000
This Madras Supercharger is a big deal for Portlanders (I don't think folks have mentioned this obvious insight yet...).

If one is driving from Portland to eastern Oregon and back: taking US 26 over Mt Hood is the most frequently used route with Madras lying right in the path both ways. Cove Palisades/Lake Billy Chinook, Crooked River Ranch, Redmond, Bend area, Smith Rock, Eagle Crest, or even making a loop returning via Sisters/Santiam Pass.

Madras supercharger.png

John Day's single destination charger is slow. Would be a great place for a small supercharger. I always see Teslas traveling Hwy 26. Baker is a bit out of the way if on the way to Boise from central Oregon. And yes, SE Oregon is needed too.
The distance from the planned Madras Supercharger to Baker City Supercharger along US HWY 26 is 225 miles!
I would love to drive that stretch but that distance is too far to attempt in my current Tesla (and while I am traveling stopping in Madras to to charge to 100%, or headed west, a stop in Baker City to charge to 100% to make it to Madras is not a fun wait). There is a current John Day Chargepoint CCS/CHAdeMO but it's only one plug...a lot to gamble on!

Prineville to Baker City Supercharger is 196 miles...still a lot!

@Guvnah Probably the other side, if they are going to not redo current parking spaces. Those spaces (2 of which are designated handicapped), are directly in front of Dominos, which would want spaces for their customers.
I drove through last weekend and there are no signs of a Tesla Supercharger construction as of yet! I am hoping once Troutdale is finished off they would head over to Madras but who knows