Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Madras, OR (LIVE Jul 2022, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was the utility transformer still missing, or just out of frame of the pictures? Your last picture seems to show an open pad to the right of the two Tesla cabinets.
That previous photo only shows the concrete where that newer cabinet on the right was to go, but this photo may show some additional concrete beyond it? I wasn’t there this time, my wife took the photos. I will go and check it out again later this week.

Reactions: 3'sterly and otter
That previous photo only shows the concrete where that newer cabinet on the right was to go, but this photo may show some additional concrete beyond it? I wasn’t there this time, my wife took the photos. I will go and check it out again later this week.
Pretty sure that concrete pad next to the distribution cabinet, with an orange cone atop what may be the traditional piece of plywood, is waiting for the utility transformer. Watch that space!

Pretty sure that concrete pad next to the distribution cabinet, with an orange cone atop what may be the traditional piece of plywood, is waiting for the utility transformer. Watch that space!
Agreed - I drove by it yesterday and from the road it’s pretty clear that’s where the utility transformer will go.

Sure wish it was active. We had to turn south at Sisters to hit the Bend Supercharger before heading back north for a 10 minute boost at Boardman before arriving home at 0300.

Agreed - I drove by it yesterday and from the road it’s pretty clear that’s where the utility transformer will go.

Sure wish it was active. We had to turn south at Sisters to hit the Bend Supercharger before heading back north for a 10 minute boost at Boardman before arriving home at 0300.
I just drove by coming back from a work trip. It looks open!? No signs of construction, the “net“ covers are gone from each charger, signs are up. No cars charging, but I didn’t have time to go and inspect up close. No additional cabinets since last time thou either, but why would they make it look open?

D9DB78E6-C9F0-407E-90C1-5E26E95469D0.jpeg

36B262F0-284B-4A9C-9CAF-F9D03F0F7CDC.jpeg

Attachments

• A8595D1D-CC65-4FEE-A8F0-FE39B6BEFD54.jpeg
    A8595D1D-CC65-4FEE-A8F0-FE39B6BEFD54.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 50
Interesting, project electrical was finaled on 6/17. Including electric service. Underground transformer? I would think it would be hard to approve the final electric service inspection without a transformer.
View attachment 821079
Pretty close to the road, so I was thinking underground, but I’m not that knowledgeable. That concrete pad has that diamond-plate access cover, so maybe? It didn’t show on our Tesla map yet in the car. 🤷‍♂️

Highly unlikely there is an underground transformer. Therefore... we are waiting on a transformer. Could be anywhere from a week to a year before this is open.
Are electrical projects approved by building departments without transformers? How do they check the working of the electrical with no power? Just assume that if all the connections are correct that everything will work properly when power is applied? At Boardman it was finaled with no electric meter but the transformer was in before any other construction on the site started.

Also of note, there are no parking stops installed.

Are electrical projects approved by building departments without transformers? How do they check the working of the electrical with no power? Just assume that if all the connections are correct that everything will work properly when power is applied? At Boardman it was finaled with no electric meter but the transformer was in before any other construction on the site started.

Also of note, there are no parking stops installed.
There are a lot of superchargers with no parking stops, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. You'd have to talk to Waylon Riffle to answer your other questions.

Are electrical projects approved by building departments without transformers? How do they check the working of the electrical with no power? Just assume that if all the connections are correct that everything will work properly when power is applied?
Yes. The point of an electrical inspection for an (e.g.) new construction building is to ensure that when power is applied there won’t be a catastrophic failure that leads to a fire, severe injury or death. The building owner pays an electrician to do the work, and the inspecting agency verifies that the licensed electrician has done her job properly. (Where properly is defined by legislation and regulation, generally referencing The National Electrical Safety Code® (NESC®) - IEEE Standards Association)

One can check the safety of an electrical installation prior to application of power by a reasoned analysis of the plans and by physical inspection of the connections and wiring. Adherence to the National Electrical Safety Code involves not just the actual physical safety of the wiring, but also the inspectability of the work. For example, grounding wires are marked green not because the laws of physics require them to be marked green, but (in part) because it makes the job of an inspector easier. (See: Electrical Wiring Color Codes for AC & DC - NEC & IEC)

Low voltage continuity testing can also be used to gain confidence in the safety of the installation. A hand-held battery-powered multimeter can measure the resistance between a power conductor and safety ground. If the circuit was horribly miswired prior to the main fuse/circuit breaker then the resistance will be small, because there should be no direct connection between power and ground conductors.

On the other hand, if the mistake is made after the main fuse/circuit breaker then it is their job to stop the massive flow of energy through a downstream short circuit. Confidence in their ability to perform that function is built through testing and certification by organizations like Underwriter’s Laboratories (UL), plus obvious manufacturer legal product liability exposure.

The low-voltage continuity testing and verification of UL markings on the main fuse/circuit breaker can happen either at the time of the pre-energizing inspection, just before energizing (by the utility), or (preferably) both.

Modifications to an already-energized electrical system don’t always need inspection prior to being put into operation. For example, when the electricians put in my Tesla Wall Connector they tied into the already-energized breaker panel in my home. Similarly, adding a new transformer to an existing electrical utility distribution system qualifies as a modification—not a new installation—so the utility can install that new transformer under their normal policies and procedures using their own internal or contracted labor force.

Last edited:
(Where properly is defined by legislation and regulation, generally referencing The National Electrical Safety Code® (NESC®) - IEEE Standards Association)
Correction: per Building Codes Division : Oregon Electrical Specialty Code adoption : Codes and standards : State of Oregon and https://www.oregon.gov/bcd/codes-stand/Documents/21oesc-table1-e-2021April.pdf the “2021 Oregon Electrical Specialty Code (OESC) is based on the 2020 edition of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 70, National Electrical Code (NEC), approved as an American National Standard on August 25, 2019.”

Okay, just drove over there (three minutes from home), and they do NOT work (they won’t open the charger port cover door, which is good enough for me as not working). As per this photo attached, they once had the covers on the chargers, so WHY would they take them off?? Or why not use traffic cones like they have left on the transformer pad? Hope this won’t take much longer….🤞

E62C59E9-B082-44C8-9F5C-BA50060B3CD3.jpeg

Reactions: mociaf9
It isn't unusual at all for a supercharger to be in the described state for quite some time before it gets activated. There is no requirement for it to be fenced off with hoods on the stalls if the electricity isn't flowing. Not sure why some people in this thread seem to think that's the case. Also, what is the "accident waiting to happen?"

Reactions: goneskiian
It isn't unusual at all for a supercharger to be in the described state for quite some time before it gets activated. There is no requirement for it to be fenced off with hoods on the stalls if the electricity isn't flowing. Not sure why some people in this thread seem to think that's the case. Also, what is the "accident waiting to happen?"
1656289346494.png

“Honey, just back up til you hit the stop.”

1656289552373.png