Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mammoth Lakes, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a follow-up to my post from 7 months ago, I am about to return to Mammoth in a few days. Several of the stalls had really crummy charge rates the last few times I was there. Anyone else have this? Any stalls that work better?
I am planning on a leisurely dinner, so a slow charge may not be so bad at that time.

As a follow-up to my post from 7 months ago, I am about to return to Mammoth in a few days. Several of the stalls had really crummy charge rates the last few times I was there. Anyone else have this? Any stalls that work better?
I am planning on a leisurely dinner, so a slow charge may not be so bad at that time.
Cold batteries also take longer to charge... So, bear that in mind

We had a slow charge at Mammoth around 5-6PM while getting some boot work done at Footloose. The charge from 55%-86% took 58 minutes vs. half that (for same SoC percents) on Sunday night when the SC was working normally. The charge rate started at 20kW, which I thought was due to us just driving down from the Mill with the car sitting up there several hours at 20F. FYI there was no regen on that drive either, presumably due to the cold battery. However I monitored the charge on my phone and the charge rate never exceeded 33kW. When I returned to the car I called Tesla and they knew there was a problem with the Mammoth SC. They were "working on it with SoCal Edison."

• Informative
Reactions: 4SUPER9
Cold batteries also take longer to charge... So, bear that in mind
Since I immediately plugged in from the drive uphill from Lone Pine, I would think my battery was warm enough.
The charge rate started at 20kW, which I thought was due to us just driving down from the Mill with the car sitting up there several hours at 20F. FYI there was no regen on that drive either, presumably due to the cold battery. However I monitored the charge on my phone and the charge rate never exceeded 33kW. When I returned to the car I called Tesla and they knew there was a problem with the Mammoth SC. They were "working on it with SoCal Edison."
This seems like my experience on several occasions to Mammoth for the past 2 years.

I arrived here tonight at 7 PM, with dinner reservations at that same time. All 8 stalls full, without a single driver in any car, and no one even nearby that I could see.
Went to Rafters. After 30 minutes, I saw on my app that a stall opened. I bolted and fortunately, it was still open when I arrived.
The problem with slow stalls is that people can take a two hour dinner, and not worry about idle fees.
Overall, this is highly unusual. This is supposed to be the busiest travel day of the year.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
Stopped by here this evening. Fairly cold battery, having driving only 5 miles before plugging in. My rate at 4 different stalls was 9 kW, with about 60% SOC. The rate increased to 18 kW after 10 minutes, and never more than that. Talking to others there, at least one with a warm battery, they had similar findings. Max charge rate from the warm battery driver was 40 kW

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
Stopped by here this evening. Fairly cold battery, having driving only 5 miles before plugging in. My rate at 4 different stalls was 9 kW, with about 60% SOC. The rate increased to 18 kW after 10 minutes, and never more than that. Talking to others there, at least one with a warm battery, they had similar findings. Max charge rate from the warm battery driver was 40 kW

More time to finish a Robertos burrito

Could be that 3 of the other stalls are down? I’ve seen that happen where more stalls appear taken than are physically being occupied, and that’s usually when some stalls are inop.
Absolutely could be that, though I did not see any tape or other markers to indicate this. This site has never been a great one. I don't recall ever getting more than 70 kWh. I charged here 2 days ago and the most I got was 43 kWH. It took me about 100 minutes to get a full charge.

Could be that 3 of the other stalls are down? I’ve seen that happen where more stalls appear taken than are physically being occupied, and that’s usually when some stalls are inop.
Really?
I have only ever seen the opposite; NAV showing available slots, only to find out on arrival that the "open" slots are out of order and that there are cars waiting for an opening to charge.

Really. :D

I have only ever seen the opposite; NAV showing available slots, only to find out on arrival that the "open" slots are out of order and that there are cars waiting for an opening to charge.

Yeah, I've seen that happen too. I guess it depends on whether Tesla marks them as "down" or "unavailable" in their system or not.

Despite the consistently good performance of this charger over the 2016-2019 seasons, I must conclude that it is seriously degraded this season. The Sunday dinner stop on arrival was reasonable but not ideal. The first charge stopped after 5 minutes and 25 added rated miles so I had to go back and move the car. The second charge peaked at 139kW but throttled to 73Kw after 10 minutes at 40%SoC. That charger still added 159 rated miles in the first 30 minutes and we were at 88% when we finished dinner.

I needed a little cushion Wednesday night to make Inyokern for dinner on the way home Thursday. I was the only one there and checked all 4 pairs, never exceeding a measly 18kW. It took 35 minutes to go from 218 to 250 rated miles. I called Tesla roadside service to complain. The rep said maybe it's slow because it was 34F. I pointed out that's a normal temperature for Mammoth and that I had charged at Mammoth 36x in prior seasons with normal charge rates. Hopefully they will send someone out to inspect.