Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mammoth Lakes, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an avid skier this supercharger and dual motor version of Model S are the tipping points for me to consider a purchase. I admire the technology but find it hard to justify a $90,000 car for almost exclusively home use. Like many skiers I have a lead foot and can drive to Salt Lake in 9 hours, and don't want to add another ~3 hours to the trip. But Mammoth being 6 hours instead of 5, I can live with that.

The supercharger definitely needs to be at Mammoth, and I'm not surprised it's a higher priority than Lee Vining. The volume of SoCal-Mammoth traffic is far more than the traffic over Tioga Pass. As noted, even with an 80+% charge at Lone Pine, you're barely going to get to Mammoth, especially in the winter. The existing slower chargers in Mammoth are mostly limited to people staying at specific hotels and/or require reservations for a limited number of spaces. And you need to have a decent charge leaving Mammoth for Lone Pine if it's cold. <snip>
Ah, but the proposed SC in Bishop would have served Mammoth from the south just as well, while also opening up the U.S. 6 route into Nevada. Lee Vining, Bishop and Lone Pine are all spaced about an hour apart at major junctions with recreation you need to drive to, while Mammoth is primarily a destination with the recreation right there (and L2s/HPWCs available), and easily reachable round trip in winter from either of the first two locations. So, while I have no problem with Mammoth having an SC, it definitely provides less total coverage than the other options. In addition, Bishop is less likely to have snow, so fewer issues with plowing and damage.

It's 100 miles. Why would you barely make it even with a 2,000 ft elevation gain?
It's a 4,000 foot gain. Throw in winter temperatures, a loaded car and chronic wind, I'd want a rated mile reading close to 200 leaving Lone Pine.
I notice you didn't mention scenic Inyokern.
That's another argument for Mammoth. If I leave Mammoth close to fully charged I could usually get home in the downhill direction with only one charge stop in Inyokern.

Topaz Lake is a plus for SoCal skiers too, makes Mammoth + Tahoe trips viable. Mammoth to Topaz crosses 3 mountain passes and goes through the super cold microclimate around Bridgeport, so I think it's desirable those SC's are that close.

- - - Updated - - -

Using the TeslaSuoperchargerRawData.xls spreadsheet downloaded from another thread on this site, Lone Pine to Mammoth with average winter temperatures would require 185 rated miles.

Thinking of doing a late spring trip from Monterey to Las Vegas via Folsom, South Lake Tahoe, Mammouth, Lone Pine, Furnace Creek, Pahrump and then Vegas. Just wondering the viability of that route given time of year (chance to cross Death Valley is just too tempting). Stretching would be from Lone Pine to Vegas. Google says 228 miles distance (via Pahrump).

Thinking of doing a late spring trip from Monterey to Las Vegas via Folsom, South Lake Tahoe, Mammouth, Lone Pine, Furnace Creek, Pahrump and then Vegas. Just wondering the viability of that route given time of year (chance to cross Death Valley is just too tempting). Stretching would be from Lone Pine to Vegas. Google says 228 miles distance (via Pahrump).

Ooh, that's tight, but doable. Evtripplanner says while the distance is indeed 228, the RM is less. Depends on how much weight you are carrying, and the temperature. AC does not use as much energy as heat. If you take it easy, you could make it using only about 200 RM. Going average speed, using AC, and carrying about 400 lbs, you need about 213 RM. If you get a range charge at Lone Pine, you should be fine, taking it easy and watching your range, getting more liberal as you get closer. The big issue here is that if you run out of range, you are in the middle of the f***ing desert. Carry extra water!!! There are 14-50's available in Pahrump, according to Plugshare. If you are planning on spending any time there, perhaps you can add a few miles.

Depending on which way you leave Death Valley, you could stop at the Beatty NV supercharger which should be built by then.

I wouldn't recommend Lone Pine to Vegas without the Beatty supercharger. It's a very up-and-down route, about 7,000 climbing and 8,500 descending.

Looking at a broad radius from SoCal, that was an interesting route I've driven which didn't look viable in Model S. But the Beatty supercharger will fix that.

I've done Lone Pine to Vegas via Beatty. Fine if you watch your speed.

I've done Lone Pine to Vegas via Pahrump in my 40K mile old S85 on a 98% charge. It was very tight, but there was a strong headwind through Death Valley. The climb over the mountains before entering Las Vegas reduced my remaining range to 5 miles, but once over that there's a good drop down to the north Vegas supercharger, where I arrived with 8 miles of range. I wouldn't recommend it unless the wind conditions are favorable.

Using EVTripPlanner.com to determine if it is possible to drive from Manteca to Mammoth in an S85, assuming 19" tires, cabin temp 72, external temp 72, speed multiplier 1.3, gives this result:
--------------------------
Distance 185.3 miles
Driving Time 3:14
Total Energy Used 74.3 kWh
248 RM
Average Efficiency 401 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change 9013 feet
---------------------------------
It is possible. But that is in ideal weather and it's cutting it close.

I just drove my P85D from Manteca to Mammoth. After a 100% charge in Manteca and driving mostly only 5 mph over the limit I made it to Mammoth with 4% remaining. The car's nav insanely tried to route me thru Bakersfield and Lone Pine but I just ignored that. I was well,past Oakdale before it decided to route over Tioga Pass. And then it alternated between estimating that I wouldn't make it and that I would arrive with 1%. That's actually not too bad to be off by just a few percent. But it caused a lot of range anxiety for my passenger. I was confident that driving slowly for the last 30 miles on 395 would get us there ok. But that turned out not to be necessary. EVTripPlanner was spot on given a speed multiplier of 1.1. I think it would be even easier in the summer when there's so much traffic that normal speeds are impossible. But a supercharger in Lee Vining would sure be good.

Thanks for the input. Instead, I could swing up to Scotty's Castle for a luxurious night and charge at Furnace Creek, and then to Vegas via Pahrump. (crossing Belle Vista Rd for a real thrill)

You'll have to put that plan on hold for a while. Flash flood damage last week to Scotty's Castle and its access road has it closed for at least a couple of months.

Mammoth just opened! Any update on this SC? I am heading up Dec. 23rd and could really use it. I have no local place to charge when up there. I may have to use the Westin or Village HPWC (with my slow single charger). If I have to do that, does anyone have the info on how I go about using one of those? Happy to pay or use their restaurant, whatever. I just don't want to stay with them, as I am already staying at a condo (sadly, with no garage or outlet access).

I skied Mammoth Nov. 11-12. I swung by the Park 'n Ride Thursday afternoon and there is zero evidence of any construction activity. I saw one Model S at the Lone Pine charger on the way home.

The season is starting on a promising note.
IMG_2452.JPG

IMG_2470a.jpg

Sorry, I don't know how to delete the oversize images.

Attachments

• IMG_2452.JPG
    IMG_2452.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 239
Last edited: