Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mammoth Lakes, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the initial location as reported is a little incorrect. When I first tried to identify it, I was going by the Park and Ride info found on line. The location is actually across the street (Old Mammoth Rd) from the Chart House. I will update with the exact address later when I can get there. It is currently blizzard conditions and I am not going anywhere except to the Jacuzzi. I did, however, manage a brief drive-by last night. The charging stalls are in place with their covers intact. They were not lit up. It was also dark and I couldn't see much else. I had a young tired child with me. After 7 hours on the road, I needed to get him home.

The 80|50 web site links to the restaurant, named Toomey's. It looks kind of high-end. Do they serve lunch ?
Toomey's is operated by the chef of the Whoa Nellie Deli at the gas station just south of Lee Vining. Food quality is excellent and ambience is casual. Seating capacity at Toomey's is very limited, so much of the business there is takeout.

I think the heavy construction process of superchargers is a relatively swift process. My son was at Mammoth Dec. 5-6 and did not notice the extensive activity I saw Dec. 8-9, which appeared to be 12-hour workdays for several people. And now it sounds like the construction is done and presumably they are waiting for some kind of utility OK for the chargers to open. Let's hope it doesn't take as long as it did in Burbank.

I just got back a few minutes ago from visiting the Supercharger site. The stalls look essentially complete (though no clue what the pavement is like underneath the snow), and everything else is there except the wall covering surrounding the cabinet for the powerpacks. Even that is mostly done, with the foundation and wall support poles in place. The surrounding wall should take only a day to go up.

There are 8 stalls, set up in two rows of four, in a drive thru set-up, much like a gas station. On second thought, I cannot be sure. It depends on whether there are parking stops in-between the two rows. I doubt though, given the need for plows. It is in the center of the Park-n-Ride lot. The exact address of the site is 165 Old Mammoth Rd, immediately across the street from the Chart House (as I suspected). However, the actual location of the entrance to the lot, and the actual address posted on the transformer, is 1475 Tavern Rd. Very few other cars are parked in the lot, so ICE'ing should not be a problem (though I was there at night). The stalls are set-up in a way that ICE'ing would really be obvious and unlikely to happen.

Here are a bunch of pictures (the bright light in the upper right is actually the full moon), and yes, I did stop around in that fresh powder. Not quite as good as the AMAZING pow on the mountain today, but still sweet.

IMG_1268.JPG
IMG_1269.JPG
IMG_1270.JPG
IMG_1271.JPG
IMG_1272.JPG
IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG

8 chargers in two rows of 4, but the sign on the power pack says #5 of 5. Do they normally build an extra one as backup?

Each power pack is a bank of batteries which is additional equipment on top of the distribution centers and chargers. Only a few sites have them, often ones with solar power. I think each power pack is 100 kWh, so that is 500 kWh of batteries to even out the load and reduce peaking charges.

I would hope that Tesla would build out most of their new Superchargers as "drive-through". Especially in recreational areas like Mammoth. Model X with trailers will struggle to charge unless they can just pull through them.

From the pics, it appears that an X with trailer could pull up to the second station in the drive through lane and another Tesla could pull up in the opposite direction on the other side and plug into the other station of the pair. There might have to be some education to keep the stations from being "S'ed" by people plugging into the first station instead of pulling forward to the second one though.

First off, thank you for your photos! Something unusual has caught my eye. I do not see the usual superchargers in this set up. It appears to me that the pedestals will be powered directly from the power packs. Is that the case? Are these units power packs and superchargers in one? Or are the usual supercharger cabinets standing opposing the power packs? Anyone passing through please photo the labels of these units. Thank you.

Last edited:
First off, thank you for your photos! Something unusual has caught my eye. I do not see the usual superchargers in this set up. It appears to me that the pedestals will be powered directly from the power packs. Is that the case? Are these units power packs and superchargers in one? Or are the usual supercharger cabinets standing opposing the power packs? Anyone passing through please photo the labels of these units. Thank you.

If you look in the picture below, you will see the Classic Supercharger Cabinets in the background across from the Power Packs in the foreground. The Power Packs are connected on the 480V AC side of the Supercharger Cabinets. They can charge from the output of the Transformer or supply power in parallel to the Transformer. Either way, the Supercharger Cabinets transform the 480V AC power into DC Power to charge the Tesla.

View attachment 105467

If you look in the picture below, you will see the Classic Supercharger Cabinets in the background across from the Power Packs in the foreground. The Power Packs are connected on the 480V AC side of the Supercharger Cabinets. They can charge from the output of the Transformer or supply power in parallel to the Transformer. Either way, the Supercharger Cabinets transform the 480V AC power into DC Power to charge the Tesla.

So AC power is directed to the Power Packs to charge them but must be converted to DC for storage. Then when power is drawn from the Power Packs it is converted from DC back to AC, then the supercharger cabinets convert the AC back to DC to charge the cars. I'm sure Tesla has done the math on this to see if it's worthwhile, but it seems like conversion losses could be reduced if the Power Packs were able to provide DC power directly in parallel with the supercharger cabinets receiving power from the transformer. Perhaps it's not worth developing special battery hardware for superchargers when they would be only a tiny fraction of the overall battery storage market.

Made a trip for the first time up in my Model S on Monday. Stopped at all 3 Superchargers (Mojave, Inyokern and Lone Pine). Was renting a condo without any charging so I used the HPWC at the Westin Monache. $20 for valet. After finishing on the hill yesterday, I turned on the heat in the car and then took the Gondola to the Village. Walked up the hill and got the car.

Stopped by the Mammoth Supercharger. No changes. More snow.

Made a trip for the first time up in my Model S on Monday. Stopped at all 3 Superchargers (Mojave, Inyokern and Lone Pine). Was renting a condo without any charging so I used the HPWC at the Westin Monache. $20 for valet. After finishing on the hill yesterday, I turned on the heat in the car and then took the Gondola to the Village. Walked up the hill and got the car.

Stopped by the Mammoth Supercharger. No changes. More snow.

We did nearly the same trip but couldn't stand the Disneyification and outrageous crowds of Mammoth. We felt odd to visit the lowest population density county in the USA and park ourselves in such density. We headed back to Bishop for a couple of days. Nice sleepy town, excellent Creek Side Inn hotel. They have lots of 120 outlets you are free to use. Overnight it adds 50 miles which is better than nothing! Really good free hot breakfast.

We did nearly the same trip but couldn't stand the Disneyification and outrageous crowds of Mammoth. We felt odd to visit the lowest population density county in the USA and park ourselves in such density. We headed back to Bishop for a couple of days. Nice sleepy town, excellent Creek Side Inn hotel. They have lots of 120 outlets you are free to use. Overnight it adds 50 miles which is better than nothing! Really good free hot breakfast.

Yesterday was the most crowded I've ever seen Mammoth. The line for the Gondola was 300m long and took 15 minutes. Just to get back into the Village. Yuck.

Kids skateboarded at the Lone Pine skate park behind the Motion Picture Museum. Drawback was the McDonald's adjacent.

• Disagree
Reactions: Snowdog
I was told by some locals that this week would be bad. Everything is booked up. OTOH, I skied last week for 4 days. I did see a bit of a line for the gondola out of the main lodge. The Mill was the worst (per usual). The rest of the mountain was ridiculously uncongested. Most of the time, we could ski straight to the gate: Chair 16, 17, Roller Coaster, backside, chair 1, etc. Chairs 3 & 5 had no lines either, but my son was just not ready for those on this trip.

I was hoping that construction would continue this week on the SC. I doubt any will take place over the next two days given the NYE holiday

Gene, as I suspected, Alpine County (Mono County's neighbor to the northwest) is California's least densely populated county with 1175 residents spread over 743 mi^2, or 1.58 people per square mile. Mono County is 53rd out of 58!

California Population Density County Rank

You might want to try June Lake next time - it's a lot closer than Bishop, and you might even decide to ski there. I've never been there in the winter (Bay Area resident), but here's some quotes from a few Google reviews: "Mammoth was blown out and super crowded. I went to June Mountain Ski Area for the second half of the day, and enjoyed a mellow vibe with no lift lines. Chair 7, and the face will challenge the best!" "Skip Disneyland North (Mammoth Mtn) and hit June Mountain for a low-key family vibe and enough terrain to fire your quads all day long." "Arguably the best lift-assisted backcountry skiing in the country."

This place looks nice, thanks for the suggestion. 50 more miles on 120V should be plenty to reach Topaz Lake SC with margin without stopping at Mammoth SC if you have filled up at Lone Pine SC, at least in non-winter conditions.

At the Mammoth SC construction site, is the concrete pad for the transformer ready? I believe this is SCE territory.

You might want to try June Lake next time - it's a lot closer than Bishop, and you might even decide to ski there. I've never been there in the winter (Bay Area resident), but here's some quotes from a few Google reviews: "Mammoth was blown out and super crowded. I went to June Mountain Ski Area for the second half of the day, and enjoyed a mellow vibe with no lift lines. Chair 7, and the face will challenge the best!" "Skip Disneyland North (Mammoth Mtn) and hit June Mountain for a low-key family vibe and enough terrain to fire your quads all day long." "Arguably the best lift-assisted backcountry skiing in the country."
Thank you for the recommendation of June lake. Inyo County was what I was referring to as lowest density as that is where my stompin' grounds are. But I see Alpine County is even lower.