Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mammoth Lakes, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Tesla's map, it's open now. Too late for the long weekend, but there's still snow up there... shouldn't be too long until we get photo evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the link:

Mammoth Lakes Supercharger | Tesla Motors
Definitely want some proof! Yes, missed the long weekend. Too bad. This will make the trip up there so painless. I can easily charge over a lunch or dinner.

Last edited:
Definitely want some proof!

Just got Tesla's official email that it's open. Is that enough to add to this thread's name "(Went LIVE 01-21-2016)"? I suppose the only thing better is if we have a pic of someone charging there.

SuperchargerMammothEmail160121.jpg

Just got Tesla's official email that it's open. Is that enough to add to this thread's name "(Went LIVE 01-21-2016)"? I suppose the only thing better is if we have a pic of someone charging there.
Seems so to me. Interesting though, TM usually does not send out notifications until after the site has been open for a couple of weeks. Have they done this (sending out notification same day as go-live) with other SCs?

This is good news. Nice to see no delay from SCE for installation of transformer.

The Mammoth SC is listed in the car database as well. However, when I requested a route from Claremont to Truckee, the GPS went for a range charge at Lone Pine and no stop at Mammoth. When I requested a route just to Mammoth, it just said "Charging needed" without showing any charging stops. Perhaps another few hours for Mammoth to show up properly as an active station. I hope Tesla soon improves the beta routing through SC to allow us to evaluate routes from a given starting location, not just where you are now. In the meantime, EVtripplanner works well.

If you use the count on supercharge.info, this is the 250th Supercharger in the U.S., a very nice milestone!

Congratulations!!!

I think Allentown will take that honor. They have a picture of someone charging at the site today. Hmmmm.

I give equal credit to a Tesla announcement or pictures of a first charge. Mammoth was reported yesterday, and Allentown was reported today. I give #250 to Mammoth.

I am very pleased for any superchargers in the Owens Valley. But Bishop would have been nice because there are many east and west, north and south side trips one can make from there. Mammoth {Lakes} you only have north and south.

According to Apple Maps, from Bishop, California to 165 Old Mammoth Road, Mammoth Lakes, California is 42 miles driving, estimated time 47 minutes. So they're not close.

But then I started looking more: Mammoth Lakes (37.643478N 118.965685W 7,848.614 feet altitude) is literally surrounded by other superchargers being built or already live:

• 701 South Main Street, Lone Pine, California is 100 miles driving to the South (36.6007983N 118.0616864W 3,727.693 feet altitude)
  • 201 North Main Street, Tonopah, Nevada is 176 miles driving to the East (some roads seasonal; in permit stage; 38.0693411N 117.2315041W 6,020.417 feet altitude)
  • 1979 US Highway 395 South, Gardnerville, Nevada is 98 miles driving to the North (38.6949755N 119.5480684W 5,202.754 feet altitude)
  • 1200 Broadway, Placerville, California is 199 miles away driving (in permit stage) but you pass within 15 miles driving of Gardnerville on the way (38.7308911N 120.7880723W 1,910.063 feet altitude)
  • 6709 North Riverside Drive, Fresno, California is 201 or 205 miles driving away to the West (awaiting Tesla testing and go-ahead -- almost finished; 36.836261N 119.9105218W 298.736 feet altitude).
However, a lot of these roads are treacherous, power hungry, seasonal, weather impacted, height variable, unpopulated areas without much help if you get stuck.

(Latitude, Longitude, Feet Altitude from Google Maps Find Altitude and addresses from supercharge.info)

Just trying to visualize it from my list dump in this post doesn't work for me; I'll have to drive it come this or next summer to get an idea myself.

Edit: I just took a shower, imagining a trip that would take a route through most or all of those SuperChargers, and I realized it would be really scary. What about bears? Cliffs? Freezing conditions? Prematurely running out of energy? Getting stranded? Towing considerations? I would want a caravan, a good way to communicate directly with others in the caravan regardless of cell company coverage(old analog radios, direct digital), emergency contingencies, bear defenses, lodging plans, detour plans, calling ahead to find out if roads are open and the weather, etc..

Last edited:
1200 Broadway, Placerville, California is 199 miles away driving (in permit stage) but you pass within 15 miles driving of Gardnerville on the way (38.7308911N 120.7880723W 1,910.063 feet altitude)
This is the first I've heard of a possible Supercharger in Placerville CA. That is very close to the Folsom Supercharger. Seems like an odd location.
Can you provide a link to the permit application? Thanks.