Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Manchester, TN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my experience, employees at service centers and showrooms have no idea what is going on with supercharger construction. They just repeat some type of company line or hearsay. Possibly exception is superchargers that are physically located at a service center.
Doubtful. You don't go through construction unless you have a contract in place. At that point, both parties are committed.
It would seem so.... But why the 'delay'?... Hope you're right.

There have been many such delays in the construction and opening of superchargers. Just look at the archive on supercharge.info and you will see some that were in the construction phase for over a year.
I know this has happened. As an example, it was quite a while before Tesla opened the 'completed' Beckly, WVa supercharger... But that doesn't explain why it happens. It may be that Tesla doesn't feel that there are enough who wish to use the Manchester (among others) site to justify putting it 'on line' yet.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: CSFTN
Delays are almost always local government. If you want more details, reach out to them. They can look up the permit and tell you what the hold-up is.
Yes, there can be "permit" delays, as well as other 'construction related' delays.... But we are discussing a site on which 'construction' was (apparently) COMPLETED several months ago. (As was also the case with the aforementioned Beckley site). It would seem all "permits" have been granted at this point. But, maybe not....
The real crux of my concern (dismay) is why 'information' about what is going on at not yet operational sites is such an (apparently) closely guarded 'secret'. Tesla has its own Supercharger web page, which I rarely check because it is typically so devoid of any but the most cryptic of information of either 'planned' or 'under construction' sites. The Manchester site, for instance, has the messages "coming soon" and "Target opening at the end of 2018". This is a site announced early in 2017 with the 'message' that it would be "open" by the end of 2017; and apparently has been sitting completed, but UNopened since the "the end of 2017".
It shouldn't be a 'surprise', an 'accident' or 'drive by the site yourself' (as I, and many others have done) that one finds out a site has been opened. This actually happened on a trip to Pennsylvania. I drove right by a very convenient and operational, but unannounced, Supercharger at Cambridge Ohio, to drive on to a much less convenient Supercharger in Cranberry, PA. I guess I was fortunate to find out the Cambridge site was open, but still unannounced, on my return trip days later.
Surely Tesla could do better at keeping us informed.

It may look complete but looks can be deceiving. I was at this location and I couldn't find the transformer. It was after dark so maybe I was mistaken, but given that it's still not open, I'm guessing the issue is electrical, which would be a hold up with the local government or utility.

Also, wrt your last point, Tesla typically updates the Nav and their website within a few days after a supercharger is turned out, but yes there is a period where it is typically unknown. If you want updates that are closer to real time, check supercharge.info and/or the TMC thread for the particular supercharger. If you want to be the first to charge at a location, you'll just have to make an educated guess and gamble that it might be open :)

Yes, there can be "permit" delays, as well as other 'construction related' delays.... But we are discussing a site on which 'construction' was (apparently) COMPLETED several months ago. (As was also the case with the aforementioned Beckley site). It would seem all "permits" have been granted at this point. But, maybe not....
The real crux of my concern (dismay) is why 'information' about what is going on at not yet operational sites is such an (apparently) closely guarded 'secret'. Tesla has its own Supercharger web page, which I rarely check because it is typically so devoid of any but the most cryptic of information of either 'planned' or 'under construction' sites. The Manchester site, for instance, has the messages "coming soon" and "Target opening at the end of 2018". This is a site announced early in 2017 with the 'message' that it would be "open" by the end of 2017; and apparently has been sitting completed, but UNopened since the "the end of 2017".
It shouldn't be a 'surprise', an 'accident' or 'drive by the site yourself' (as I, and many others have done) that one finds out a site has been opened. This actually happened on a trip to Pennsylvania. I drove right by a very convenient and operational, but unannounced, Supercharger at Cambridge Ohio, to drive on to a much less convenient Supercharger in Cranberry, PA. I guess I was fortunate to find out the Cambridge site was open, but still unannounced, on my return trip days later.
Surely Tesla could do better at keeping us informed.

First, Tesla has NEVER promised to keep users "informed" about specific construction schedules for SpC sites. Never happened, probably never will.

Second, as someone pointed out, while the pedestals look completely installed, there does not seem to be a transformer. This is always installed by the utility, and never by Tesla. Seems like Tesla got their work done, and are now waiting on someone else.

Again, the way to get truly up-to-date info is to call the permitting office. If that transformer is not installed (or is, but there is not yet a meter), then the permit will still be in open status and will have multiple inspections completed to date. That's how you find out exactly the status of a specific location.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Oddly I have no recollection of claiming that Tesla PROMISED "to keep users informed" about anything, in particular, charging sites....
What I was referring to is what they SHOULD, in my opinion, be doing.
NOR did I even remotely suggest that we were owed "specific construction schedules for SpC sites"...
There is a very wide gulf between providing more informative updates and "specific construction schedules".
The problem, and hence my disappointment in this regard, is that they are providing very little useful information.
... And that is below, nay, well below, MY expectations for Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: Graffi and CSFTN
Oddly I have no recollection of claiming that Tesla PROMISED "to keep users informed" about anything, in particular, charging sites....
What I was referring to is what they SHOULD, in my opinion, be doing.
NOR did I even remotely suggest that we were owed "specific construction schedules for SpC sites"...
There is a very wide gulf between providing more informative updates and "specific construction schedules".
The problem, and hence my disappointment in this regard, is that they are providing very little useful information.
... And that is below, nay, well below, MY expectations for Tesla.

Idiots that own Teslas have already sued the company for not meeting timelines for things like AutoPilot 2.0. I'm sure Tesla will never even HINT at when they might bring up a SpC for fear of being caught in the "but you said it would be live by XX/YY/ZZ". It is good corporate practice to underpromise (or not promise at all) and over-deliver.

Idiots that own Teslas have already sued the company for not meeting timelines for things like AutoPilot 2.0. I'm sure Tesla will never even HINT at when they might bring up a SpC for fear of being caught in the "but you said it would be live by XX/YY/ZZ". It is good corporate practice to underpromise (or not promise at all) and over-deliver.
Idiot like you should just go away! The under-promise mindset was the fundamental problems in a lot of large corp as they were afraid of wall street analysts bullshit and day traders. This fuels internal negotiation, sandbagging and short-sighted decisions. It's a true loss when company is not stretched to their full potential but instead get applause from reaching a sandbagged goal.

Idiot like you should just go away! The under-promise mindset was the fundamental problems in a lot of large corp as they were afraid of wall street analysts bullshit and day traders. This fuels internal negotiation, sandbagging and short-sighted decisions. It's a true loss when company is not stretched to their full potential but instead get applause from reaching a sandbagged goal.

Idiot? I guarantee you that in every measure of intelligence I have you beat. Big statement, I know, but I have the creds to back it up.

Multiple doctorates - check
Successful businessman - check
Had his two Teslas apart and knows them forwards and backwards - check

FACT is that Tesla is a PUBLICLY traded company, and therefore has to play the Wall St. game. They already OVER promised on Autopilot, and just had to fork out millions of dollars to settle that lawsuit because they were not careful in what they said and delivered.

Idiot? I guarantee you that in every measure of intelligence I have you beat. Big statement, I know, but I have the creds to back it up.

Multiple doctorates - check
Successful businessman - check
Had his two Teslas apart and knows them forwards and backwards - check

FACT is that Tesla is a PUBLICLY traded company, and therefore has to play the Wall St. game. They already OVER promised on Autopilot, and just had to fork out millions of dollars to settle that lawsuit because they were not careful in what they said and delivered.
I guarantee you that you have no clue about short term pleasing the street hurts the long term return of the company since you were too busy getting your doctorates than actually running a business or making good investment decision.

Being long term successful as a company is about caring less about these clueless street analysts who only got their MBA by debating in class vs. really understanding what it takes to unleash the full potential of the business. They felt offended by Elon and so be it. You should just sell your TSLA stocks with them so that the rest of us can buy more dip. After all, nobody forced you to believe in Tesla or buying an "over-promising" company.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
I guarantee you that you have no clue about short term pleasing the street hurts the long term return of the company since you were too busy getting your doctorates than actually running a business or making good investment decision.

Being long term successful as a company is about caring less about these clueless street analysts who only got their MBA by debating in class vs. really understanding what it takes to unleash the full potential of the business. They felt offended by Elon and so be it. You should just sell your TSLA stocks with them so that the rest of us can buy more dip. After all, nobody forced you to believe in Tesla or buying an "over-promising" company.

Actually, I started/ran a business AND got my doctorates at the same time.

Are you just actively making this up now? I don't see a coherent argument anymore.

Actually, I started/ran a business AND got my doctorates at the same time.

Are you just actively making this up now? I don't see a coherent argument anymore.
I don't need to make up anything. If you think Tesla needs change to a boring "under-promise" company to please the wall street, you should just sell any stock you own/avoid buying. Stretching the team to something they did not initially believe is how Elon runs his businesses and why they were able to achieve the impossible. You would be driving no Tesla without that culture. They don't have to play the wall street game. Give it time, street analyst job will be more like fortune tellers ... If you choose to believe them, I guess your doctorates investment just went down to the toilet.

• Disagree
I don't need to make up anything. If you think Tesla needs change to a boring "under-promise" company to please the wall street, you should just sell any stock you own/avoid buying. Stretching the team to something they did not initially believe is how Elon runs his businesses and why they were able to achieve the impossible. You would be driving no Tesla without that culture. They don't have to play the wall street game. Give it time, street analyst job will be more like fortune tellers ... If you choose to believe them, I guess your doctorates investment just went down to the toilet.

You keep reading a LOT into what I did NOT say. I didn't say I believe the analysts. I did say, since they are a publicly traded company that Tesla MUST be careful what they say/promise, otherwise they open themselves up to litigation. That's just business 101, don't promise something you cannot deliver. I AGAIN go back to the settlement made THIS WEEK where Tesla basically admitted they they overpromised and underdelivered on Autopilot 2.0 and had to issue millions back. Plain and simple, that was a BAD BUSINESS DECISION, under the "Tesla business model" or any other business model.

I'm done with this argument, because you sound like an armchair quaterback that doesn't actually have any business experience.

You keep reading a LOT into what I did NOT say. I didn't say I believe the analysts. I did say, since they are a publicly traded company that Tesla MUST be careful what they say/promise, otherwise they open themselves up to litigation. That's just business 101, don't promise something you cannot deliver. I AGAIN go back to the settlement made THIS WEEK where Tesla basically admitted they they overpromised and underdelivered on Autopilot 2.0 and had to issue millions back. Plain and simple, that was a BAD BUSINESS DECISION, under the "Tesla business model" or any other business model.

I'm done with this argument, because you sound like an armchair quaterback that doesn't actually have any business experience.

You sound like an accountant who is not even competent to calculate the settlement value vs. the NPV they get from people paying for function not developed yet. I call selling AP2 and FSD ahead of its development a super smart business decision to get the funding as well as push internal resources to work around the clock. If you are concerned about this nominal settlement, you have no real business experience and do not understand that sometimes these are just cost already in the model. They probably had budgeted for more.

• Disagree
You sound like an accountant who is not even competent to calculate the settlement value vs. the NPV they get from people paying for function not developed yet. I call selling AP2 and FSD ahead of its development a super smart business decision to get the funding as well as push internal resources to work around the clock. If you are concerned about this nominal settlement, you have no real business experience and do not understand that sometimes these are just cost already in the model. They probably had budgeted for more.

Question - looking back through your posts - are you just always an insulting arrogant jerk to everyone? Seems like you don't know how to hold a "normal" conversation and have spiraled this out of control from my simple comment.

If you are looking for the "last word", I won't give you the satisfaction of having it. :D

I know this has happened. As an example, it was quite a while before Tesla opened the 'completed' Beckly, WVa supercharger... But that doesn't explain why it happens. It may be that Tesla doesn't feel that there are enough who wish to use the Manchester (among others) site to justify putting it 'on line' yet.
No. Sorry, but no. It is all about construction crews, local regulations and approvals, and local power companies installing the transformers.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson