Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Manchester, TN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
nice to see that we aren't the only ones annoyed by nashville/chattanooga and do the Kuttawa/Manchester/Atlanta hop.

Same here. Both of those chargers are too far off the path for my liking. Sadly we still charge at Chattanooga for just enough to get back home south of Atlanta. Once the Supercharging station goes up in northwestern Atlanta we can hit that one for 10 minutes to bypass Chattanooga.

They must be mislabeled as urban chargers.

I think it's been mislabeled since day one.

• Informative
Reactions: nogajim and Bighorn
I had a travel situation recently where I thought I was encountering a lot of bad chargers because I’d eventually have success. Turned out it was my car that was the problem. After it got fixed, I never encountered another “problem” charger.

As an update, I think this is what's happening to me, too. When we got to both Chattanooga and Atlanta, I found that I had to plug and re-plug up to 5 times to get anything other than an immediate red light. Eventually it would start charging, give me a green light, and charge as normal, so it looks like it's me so I guess I'll have to get it in to Tesla.

Bighorn, what ended up being wrong with yours?

I have charged there several times going to and from ATL. Coming from Southern KY (Model 3 LR RWD), I typically start out around 100KW+ and taper down fairly quickly. We typically don't have enough time to enjoy Dunkin Donuts or Waffle House (across the street) until we are more than charged to hit the road again. It's a great stopping point coming from ATL and will get you back to ATL

I stopped there twice on cross country trips. I didn't notice any reduced charging.
It's a nice on-off location. Behind DD and across from a McD.
Only had one other car charging and was able to park in the shade. Great for a quick nap.

Does anyone have charging experience at the Manchester TN supercharger? The Tesla supercharger map indicates that it has max 72 KW charge rate. That seems really low. Can anyone verify from experience what charge rate you get at that location?? Thanks!

Supercharger.info, which is more reliable than the Tesla.com maps, shows this as a "normal" Supercharger station not an urban supercharger station.
That was also my experience a few months ago.

Does anyone have charging experience at the Manchester TN supercharger? The Tesla supercharger map indicates that it has max 72 KW charge rate. That seems really low. Can anyone verify from experience what charge rate you get at that location?? Thanks!
Supercharger.info, which is more reliable than the Tesla.com maps, shows this as a "normal" Supercharger station not an urban supercharger station.
That was also my experience a few months ago.

Showing my ignorance here: what’s the difference between “normal” SC and “urban” SC??

Showing my ignorance here: what’s the difference between “normal” SC and “urban” SC??

About 75 kWh.

"Normal" Superchargers share ~150 kWh dynamically between each A/B pair, which is why you should always try to find an unoccupied A/B pair to connect to (or guess who has been there longest). But if a "normal" Supercharger station gets congested, people can see their charging start in the 30's and slowly rebalance.
Benefit is that if you find an unoccupied A/B pair, you can see charging speeds up to 147.

"Urban" Superchargers expect congestion and heavy usage, so instead Tesla make a hard split of the ~150 kWh, which means all pedestals max out at 72 kWh, but when you plug in you are going to get 72 regardless of how many other cars are charging.

Last edited:
Besides the behavior difference M3Blue gave, there's also a physical design difference. The urban superchargers look exactly like the picture in Tesla's blog post announcing the new equipment/strategy

supercharging-cities-announcement.jpg

We recently did a swing across Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee, with stops in the Smokies, Chatanooga and Nashville.

Along this route, I think the Manchester stop was my favorite. Not only was it large and uncrowded, it was right there in the parking lot where you could grab a donut and coffee -- perfect for a 20-minute stop.

The worst location on the route, by far, was Nashville, where every stall was crowded, the dealer was using the charger to charge up cars while in-transit drivers waited, the charger was dog-slow, and they put a time limit on my charge that, combined with the miserable charge rate, forced me to limp slowly to the next charger on my route. Plus the Nashville charger is near nothing, so there was little to do, and nothing to eat, while waiting.

We recently did a swing across Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee, with stops in the Smokies, Chatanooga and Nashville.

Along this route, I think the Manchester stop was my favorite. Not only was it large and uncrowded, it was right there in the parking lot where you could grab a donut and coffee -- perfect for a 20-minute stop.

The worst location on the route, by far, was Nashville, where every stall was crowded, the dealer was using the charger to charge up cars while in-transit drivers waited, the charger was dog-slow, and they put a time limit on my charge that, combined with the miserable charge rate, forced me to limp slowly to the next charger on my route. Plus the Nashville charger is near nothing, so there was little to do, and nothing to eat, while waiting.

There's a new Supercharger in Nashville under construction.
According to Supercharge.info, it will have 12 stalls each at 250 kWh
Off I-24, one exit south of I-440 and 3 miles south of I-40.

Same here. Both of those chargers are too far off the path for my liking. Sadly we still charge at Chattanooga for just enough to get back home south of Atlanta. Once the Supercharging station goes up in northwestern Atlanta we can hit that one for 10 minutes to bypass Chattanooga.

I think it's been mislabeled since day one.

You must be happy about the Acworth, GA location, in that case.

As others have commented, despite the Tesla map showing this as a max of 74kw, I get 120kw+ when charging as well. Afraid to report it for fear Tesla might "fix" the bug and cap the charging rate (doubtful, I know)
No we need to tell Tesla to update this. Our computers don't factor this one in because it is seen as 72 kW. Computer told me it would take 70 minutes to get the charge i needed there on my Indy->Atlanta trip when in fact it took 25. This needs to be updated.

Also I looked the equipment and it should be 150 kW chargers (also they are labeled as 135 kW, but I've seen that label on many so called "150 kW" chargers. I wonder why the difference.)