Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Manteca, CA - Perimeter Drive (LIVE 12 Feb 2015, expanded 12 Dec 2017, 20 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see an older post, but to put my 2 cents worth in here... Stay away from the Gestapo Desk clerks at the Hampton Inn. They love to question you as you come in the door with a question like "How is your room?" And whether you answer them or not, it is a lead in to the next question..... What is your room number? When you tell them you are not staying there, some rude Indian guy will ask you to leave. I NEVER have this problem at other hotels near a supercharger.

I agree that I also go to BassPro. And on the way out I usually get something to drink or snack.

The Mexican Restaurant-Tato’s Mexican Grill & Cantina has a back door that opens facing the Superchargers. I have never had any issues using the Rest Rooms. I also found that the food is very nice..

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I was here today and at least three plugs were taped to stalls with a small amount of blue tape (it probably is just three stalls though). The station was around 75% full. The rest of the Bass Pro parking lot was pretty full, so people were parking close to the superchargers.

I was here today and at least three plugs were taped to stalls with a small amount of blue tape (it probably is just three stalls though). The station was around 75% full. The rest of the Bass Pro parking lot was pretty full, so people were parking close to the superchargers.

I was there around noon and one of the front pull thoughts did not work for me. Plugged in and nothing happened. Reversed into the back one and it worked just fine.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
I stopped there last Thursday around 7pm. Half of the stalls were occupied. It was 50°F and I managed to get only 37KW at 65% SOC. Maybe the cold? When I tried two other stalls: one had a melted plug and couldn't fit!? and the other one was also delivering 37KW.

I had dinner at the not so nice Mexican Place and 45 minutes later I left with a 98% SOC. Then I made it to Bear Valley, 107 miles up the Sierra with 37% left. :p

The subject of charging here with a trailer has come up in the past. So this might be of interest:

6BBD7366-ABC0-42F9-8C03-D0DD3DB0881B.jpeg

Aside from charging Teslas, there were no other cars in this part of the parking lot today so blocking that aisle didn’t seem to be a big deal.

Bruce.

• Love
Reactions: redgt and McManX
Kind of amusing, seeing a Tesla owning an ICE. :cool:

I agree that, given how little used that area of the parking lot is, I would not have a problem charging there without unhitching. Though it is possible to charge without unhitching and not block the lane; as my avatar illustrates.

Aha, I didn't realize your avatar picture was at Manteca.

It was getting a little full when I was there, so it could be that the owners of the Model X decided that blocking the aisle was better than blocking two stalls. I did talk to them briefly but didn't question their choice of positioning.

Bruce.

I stopped there today to charge on my way back from Sequoia. It was 104°F and I plugged at 22% SOC. The charge rate quickly climbed to 144kWh but around 45%, it went suddenly down to about 75kWh even though nobody plugged next to me. I suspected the heat might have something to do with it so I moved the car to another stall, plugged it back and the charge resumed at 144kWh.

Did the heat have anything to do with the drop in charge rate? Does it really impact so much the SC infrastructure?

I stopped there today to charge on my way back from Sequoia. It was 104°F and I plugged at 22% SOC. The charge rate quickly climbed to 144kWh but around 45%, it went suddenly down to about 75kWh even though nobody plugged next to me. I suspected the heat might have something to do with it so I moved the car to another stall, plugged it back and the charge resumed at 144kWh.

Did the heat have anything to do with the drop in charge rate? Does it really impact so much the SC infrastructure?
Supercharging definitely warms up battery and equipment, and with hot enough direct sunlight the charge rate will definitely be impacted. I thought it had more to do with your car's battery, but considering your issue was remediated by charging at another stall, it sounds like it was more than that. To be honest I've heard of charge rates happening at 37 kW when the location is busy enough because of constant use (ie. Dublin, CA). I'm guessing while the cause is different, these issues is related to equipment heating up too much.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
I love this Supercharger now that it has been expanded with pull through stalls so I can charge without unhitching when towing, as long as it is not too crowded. I keep an eye out to make sure there are always several empty stalls while I’m charging. It is perfectly located for trips to Yosemite from the SF Bay Area. My next stop is Groveland, and then on the way home I can skip Groveland because there is so much elevation loss.

86848854-5497-40F8-AE00-736B3F1B6BE7.jpeg

Reactions: Janus and bmah
I love this Supercharger now that it has been expanded with pull through stalls so I can charge without unhitching when towing, as long as it is not too crowded. I keep an eye out to make sure there are always several empty stalls while I’m charging. It is perfectly located for trips to Yosemite from the SF Bay Area. My next stop is Groveland, and then on the way home I can skip Groveland because there is so much elevation loss.

View attachment 458479

That's a nice looking caravan (and car!)
Where do you park overnight in Yosemite?