Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Manteca, CA - Perimeter Drive (LIVE 12 Feb 2015, expanded 12 Dec 2017, 20 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will throw this out there.

I was thinking since the announcement that Tesla is going to install the first battery swap station somewhere between San Francisco and LA. It seems to make sense at their Lathrop plant?

Everyone's eyes are on a former car wash near the Harris Ranch supercharger for the first battery swapping station. Maybe Tesla decided to put the Manteca supecharger at their Lathrop facility instead so they could save money / put in solar & battery setup, although obviously there are no amenities for travelers at Lathrop.

I e-mailed [email protected] and asked about Manteca. Here is their response:

Thank you for your email and feedback. We are still working to bring a Supercharger to Manteca around the end of 2014.
We can experience delays in all phases of the deployment process and there are variables that are sometimes out of our control. This has led to our approach of communicating firm timing only when we are sure a specific site will be ready for our owners to use.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements. We appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thanks,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

Manteca-Lathrop SC

Something, ANYthing, please. Harris Ranch to Vacaville, detour, off I-5 is a dang nuisance. Trucks, two lanes, reduced speeds. Barely made it going 60, nearly run over by big rigs on I-5, its a thriller and a bore.

I agree with TsRocket, Oregon to Vegas is a PIA going down I-5 and VacavilleSC to Harris RanchSC is a long haul.
We always cross over Hwy12 from Vacaville then south down I-5 so Manteca area would be perfect for a "top off" charge.
Why Tesla ignores some of the more active routes is beyond my comprehension, but hey Tesla VIP's "needed" a better route down the coast than us po folk in the NW.

The other route we beg for is something along Hwy 58 out of Bakersfield to Barstow so we didn't have to go through Tejon Pass.
We have made it [once] from Barstow to Harris Ranch across Hwy58 but that was in the fall and perfect weather not doable most of the time and Tehachapi Pass makes it impossible to go the other direction.

RockOn Tesla
Ron

Unfortunately, with no reports of any activity and we're only a few business days away from Thanksgiving, I'd say the odds of this happening before the end of 2014 are near zero. Another soft target by Tesla missed. You would think it wouldn't be this hard to get one open in this area if there was a strong will to do it.

The TM Supercharger page has said for maybe a year that West Coast coverage is "complete". If that refers to I-5 travel, you have to overlook the 300-mile gap between Corning and Harris Ranch to consider coverage "complete." Sure, you can detour to Vacaville from I-5 (65-mile round trip) or Folsom or Roseville (40-mile round trips), all with heavy local traffic, but that doesn't come close to compensating for a Supercharger ON I-5 between Corning and Harris Ranch.

But lo, it is yet written on the Supercharger page that a Manteca-area Supercharger will make its Second Coming "soon", or shall be revealed no later than December 31. The TM Supercharger page hath said it. I believe it. That settles it.

I e-mailed [email protected] and asked about Manteca. Here is their response:
"Thank you for your email and feedback. We are still working to bring a Supercharger to Manteca around the end of 2014..."​
I'd say the odds of this happening before the end of 2014 are near zero. Another soft target by Tesla missed.

revealed no later than December 31.

I see "around the end of 2014" which would extend a bit into January...right?
It does not say before the end.
But then again, I'm reading it from way over here in Texas.

Last edited:
I see "2014", which would not extend even a bit into 2015. Now, to be fair, the TM Supercharger map is footnoted by the blanket disclaimer of "Exact timing and location may vary." I'm not going to sue TM for breach of contract if they don't have a Manteca-area Supercharger active by the end of December. My particular issue is the claim of "Complete West ... Coast Coverage." According to the Wayback Machine, TM was making that claim as early as last April. The only reasonable interpretation of that claim is that it refers to the I-5 corridor, and in that sense, the claim is not yet accurate. The similar claim as to the East, I-95, corridor is now accurate, at least for an 85, which makes TM's failure to fill in the Corning/Harris Ranch gap all the more difficult to understand.

To be extra-fair, we drove our Model S north from Sacramento to Vancouver in October, using only Superchargers. It was great. The seven Superchargers we used were all within a mile or so of I-5, not 20 or 30 miles.

If you look back at the first page of the thread, it said "Coming Soon" back in March. It has been "Coming soon" every since. I'm not holding my breath.

This thread may go back to march, but thee was another thread last year, when it was "coming soon". I remember hoping it would be ready by a Christmas 2013 trip from San Diego to Kirkwood.

I'll believe it when I see it. It's been on and off the list multiple times.

Yeah. Before Manteca was identified, there was a "coming soon" dot on the map since early 2013. This supercharger location is getting close to two years late and I've given up on it. Lathrop will probably be the cheapest and easiest solution since there would be no negotiations or cost for the land.

Lathrop would be a perfectly good location. Tesla just needs to get it done. I'm mystified as to why this missing link in the California SC network is taking so long...

For reasons unknown to us, it isn't a priority for Tesla. I'm glad they're building Petaluma, but as between building out Supercharger around major metro areas like LA or putting them in places that make road trips possible or much easier (like Manteca), I would prefer the latter. But Tesla has presumably decided it makes more business sense and will help sell more Model S to do the former.

That was the location which had gone through permitting, but a Manteca city official indicated in September that Tesla had cancelled the permit.

Right, this news report was from the summer and now is no longer relevant. There are obviously some issues we just don't know about, but that's why I think this location isn't a priority for Tesla. If it was, it just wouldn't make sense to go through the permit process and then back out months later.

I have good news to report. They have started construction at the site at the orchard valley mall. The site is the same one that the Manteca planners approved. It is just west of the bass pro shops store on the outer perimeter road of the mall. Access is very easy from the entrance just east if bass pro. No need to get mixed up with shopper traffic if you go around on the east perimeter.

Right now now all they have done is put up a fence around the site of about 10 parking spaces and they began digging and forming up an area for the transformer and the power electronics. Looks like they just started so I'm not sure how long it takes to build one. I would guess a couple of months but really have no idea.

Attachments

• IMG_6041.jpg
    IMG_6041.jpg
    744.2 KB · Views: 564