Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Manteca, CA - Spreckels Ave (LIVE 9 May 2020, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pluto

is a Planet
Nov 17, 2015
Auburn, AL
I heard a location might exist at the Target in Manteca from @SR-75 from another thread and looked up the address at 280 Spreckels Ave on the following page, and found two recently issued electrical commercial permits. When looking at building permit reports for permits issued in August, #2019-00000324 had a valuation of $200k which is common for superchargers (the other was $5k).

So I called up Manteca's Department of Community Development to find out more about #324, and they told me it is for a Tesla supercharger. When I asked for more details, they said it listed having 12 charge stalls, 4 charge points and 3 supercharger cabinets. I asked again because it sounded confusing but she read it back to me repeating the same thing. Thinking about it now, maybe the charge points are L2 ChargePoint connectors? I know that the Target in San Mateo is just like this except for being a V2 supercharger.

I remember there is some construction equipment in the first row of parking spots, so it might even be in the construction phase. Unless someone does it sooner, I can take pictures of it this evening.

Last edited:
I heard a location might exist at the Target in Manteca from @SR-75 from another thread and looked up the address at 280 Spreckels Ave on the following page, and found two recently issued electrical commercial permits. When looking at building permit reports for permits issued in August, #2019-00000324 had a valuation of $200k which is common for superchargers (the other was $5k).

So I called up Manteca's Department of Community Development to find out more about #324, and they told me it is for a Tesla supercharger. When I asked for more details, they said it listed having 12 charge stalls, 4 charge points and 3 supercharger cabinets. I asked again because it sounded confusing but she read it back to me repeating the same thing. Thinking about it now, maybe the charge points are L2 ChargePoint connectors? I know that the Target in San Mateo is just like this except for being a V2 supercharger.

I remember there is some construction equipment in the first row of parking spots, so it might even be in the construction phase. Unless someone does it sooner, I can take pictures of it this evening.

Thank you for taking it to the next step. Had I known earlier, I would have taken the 580 back to Lincoln and stop by and take some pictures. I do not know when I will be taking another trip to San Jose. Maybe in a few weeks or so. Plenty of Tesla owners charge at the current Supercharger. Maybe someone will take some interest in this one too.

Nice! The Manteca permit inspection site shows that there was already one inspection of the electrical conduit for that permit in mid September. So, I'm sure it's already in construction.

@BlueShift @Chuq @MarcoRP

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
@Pluto thanks for posting! Based on the location, looks like this is to support Hwy 99 travel, which is great, though it is just a few minutes away from the existing Manteca Supercharger. Really need Merced but new Superchargers are always welcome, and Tesla has to take the locations they can get. Target is being very helpful!

Oh yeah this baby is under construction. I can’t believe no one saw it, it’s pretty big lol.

4D0A88A2-E449-48E8-835E-11ED02F6B932.jpeg

88C6F98D-16E0-46EE-8E12-88438FD2115D.jpeg

8B0B9F05-094D-4EC1-ACEA-50FA6F935DBF.jpeg

8A3B8CAC-4311-4219-A2F8-9BD8F26ADF68.jpeg

32F2934F-D30E-450C-B45C-F4E3722181FD.jpeg

B6927304-FFC3-4BD9-8781-5884D12C70E0.jpeg

A1A017D5-928E-465F-A764-B9162096A180.jpeg

The pictures don't show all the stalls, but it looks like 12 V3 stalls according to the conduit layout. The distribution cabinet plan also shows three 700A 3 phase breakers. V2 cabinets only need 200A breakers. However, that begs the question - why is a V3 cabinet only taking in 277V * 3 * 700A = 582kVA ??? when it is supposed to supply 4 stalls up to 250kW each. I guess now we know that they cannot all run full bore simultaneously.

I am also surprised that they are using a single phase 2:1 isolation transformer with a center tap to step down the 480V supply to 120/240V for the Level 2 stations. I guess I expected 3-phase 120Y208V to be used for the Level 2 stations. This is actually simpler, given the situation.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
The pictures don't show all the stalls, but it looks like 12 V3 stalls according to the conduit layout. The distribution cabinet plan also shows three 700A 3 phase breakers. V2 cabinets only need 200A breakers. However, that begs the question - why is a V3 cabinet only taking in 277V * 3 * 700A = 582kVA ??? when it is supposed to supply 4 stalls up to 250kW each. I guess now we know that they cannot all run full bore simultaneously.

I am also surprised that they are using a single phase 2:1 isolation transformer with a center tap to step down the 480V supply to 120/240V for the Level 2 stations. I guess I expected 3-phase 120Y208V to be used for the Level 2 stations. This is actually simpler, given the situation.
The drawing is also dated January 8th, updated May 3rd, and after checking the permit was created Feb 4th, so perhaps this was one of the very first V3 chargers under development and the design has since been updated for regular V3 locations? And I realized after the fact that I had a gap in my pictures, I’ll see if I can fix that tomorrow.

Manteca - Spreckels Ave, CA

Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5I-): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: CA-99, CA-120

CA-99

To: Sacramento, CA - 65.5 miles
Diversion: 1.2 miles
To: Yuba City, CA - 102.2 miles

CA-120

To: Groveland, CA - 62.8 miles
Diversion: 1.2 miles
To: End (US-6 Benton, CA) (CA-99, CA-140, CA-120) - 247 miles

All new Manteca for CA-99.

I'm surprised. I often stop by the existing v2 Supercharger in Manteca on my way up to Tahoe/Kirkwood. It is never full. I am surprised they are building one so close since it seems they have enough capacity. That being said, I haven't really stopped by since last April, and Tesla sure has sold a lot of Model 3's in the last 6 months!
I changed my ski rental to South Lake this year, so I'll be taking 50 and charging in Placerville more often this year. But will still do some trips to Kirkwood... so hoping they open up the Stockton one.. charging to 85% vs 90% makes a big difference.

Also, wondering if the v3 will result in faster charging for my 2016 MOdel X or my 2017 Model S. I know probably not, but still want to see...

I'm surprised. I often stop by the existing v2 Supercharger in Manteca on my way up to Tahoe/Kirkwood. It is never full. I am surprised they are building one so close since it seems they have enough capacity. That being said, I haven't really stopped by since last April, and Tesla sure has sold a lot of Model 3's in the last 6 months!
I changed my ski rental to South Lake this year, so I'll be taking 50 and charging in Placerville more often this year. But will still do some trips to Kirkwood... so hoping they open up the Stockton one.. charging to 85% vs 90% makes a big difference.

Also, wondering if the v3 will result in faster charging for my 2016 MOdel X or my 2017 Model S. I know probably not, but still want to see...

The original Manteca location is pretty handy for people heading to and from the Bay Area along 580/205/5/120. This newer location is slightly closer to 99 for those heading down Fresno/Bakersfield way. Also, from Sacramento, it is shorter to cut through Stockton on the SR4 freeway to and from SR99 rather than swinging around to SR120.

Caltrans is supposed to be working on the offramp split where SR120 hits SR99 to reduce the congestion as vehicles merge into the proper lanes. I believe it is slated to start sometime in 2020 and will take over a year.