Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Manteca, CA - Perimeter Drive (LIVE 12 Feb 2015, expanded 12 Dec 2017, 20 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Beaker, Do you visit or have a place in Bear Valley? We moved to Ohio for 4 years, moving back (Pleasanton) in a month. We Have a place in BV and I'm curious what the energy consuption jump is from Copperopolis to BV:)

I've got a p85 and from San Jose to our place in Arnold on a 100% charge is possible with 30 to 50 miles left over. The Mantica stop takes any worries out of the equation for us. A walk from the chargers to the restroom in Outdoor World and back add almost 70 miles if I do some window shopping on the way out. So I no longer have to charge to 100% before leaving.

PS. leaving Mantica with a 90% charge leaves me with 54% in Arnold.

Last edited:
Did I happen to see your car at the mexican restaurant in Arnold about 1.5 years ago? (maybe a bit further back than that). I remember parking next to a P85 there and was surprised to see another Tesla in Arnold!

It might have been, I've got a a Signature P85 but it does not have the P85 badge or rear spoiler. The only way to know it's a P85 is to notice the carbon fiber trim inside, and know, that because it's signature Red, that carbon fiber was only available for P85s at that time. :)

I don't remember another Model S ever parked next to mine, though I did have the same year & color of my Highlander park right next to me at Snowshoe.

Passed through Manteca yesterday and an owner had a smash-and-grab in the few minutes it took him to leave his car and go to the sushi shop, decide not to eat, and return. Be careful there. He's a regular at that Supercharger and said there are occasionally issues. Just an FYI to owners charging there. Put away your belongings, or don't leave the car.

Last edited:
Passed through Manteca yesterday and an owner had a smash-and-grab in the few minutes it took him to leave his car and go to the sushi shop, decide not to eat, and return. Just an FYI to be careful there. He's a regular at that Supercharger and said there are occasionally issues. Just an FYI to owners charging there. Put away your belongings, or don't leave the car.

Bummer Good to know. Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. Will be there soon. I'm
In Pleasanton now, just drove our 60kwh from Columbus Ohio to here. Total blast. The Tesla loved the I-70 portions of 80 Mph limit. Still made 199 miles on a 185 mile charge by drafting an Escalade hahah. Never once had a supercharger issue until 6 miles from home. There were 3 people in line for the superchargers at Dublin service :).

Passed through Manteca yesterday and an owner had a smash-and-grab in the few minutes it took him to leave his car and go to the sushi shop, decide not to eat, and return. Be careful there. He's a regular at that Supercharger and said there are occasionally issues. Just an FYI to owners charging there. Put away your belongings, or don't leave the car.

Thanks for reporting this, The Manteca Super Chargers are nearby me and I use them.

Thanks for your report! So were you charging at Manteca and talked to the owner who had his car broken into? Did it happen that day, or in the past?

I have charged there many times while on road trips with my S full of stuff, in the trunk and visible through the rear window or just inside the car (the frunk is also full of stuff but of course it is not visible). My wife and make it a practice to always remove or hide tempting items like phones and tablets but there is always miscellaneous stuff in plain view inside the car when we are on a long trip. We should be more careful about what is visible.

I do not own the rear trunk "Parcel Shelf" cover because I consider it an inadequately designed (since it is not attached to anything, it just rests there, and does not raise up when you open the rear hatch) solution to the issue of concealing whatever is in the rear trunk area, and it is overpriced for what you get. That said, it does block from view whatever is in the trunk.

With the rapid growth in the number of Supercharger sites, and Teslas charging there, it was only a matter of time before the inevitable car breaking at sites like Manteca where the chargers are in a remote area of a vast parking lot that often has almost no foot traffic. I don't blame Tesla for that, it was probably the best spot they could negotiate to get at that location. But as owners we have to be more aware of the need to remove small high value items from the inside of the car when we leave our car unattended while charging. That said, I know people (not Tesla owners) who have had their car broken into while parked in commercial areas (not at home) and had innocuous looking bags and backups stolen, items that looked to be of little value except the thieves took a chance that inside the bag or pack there would be something worth stealing. This problem is of course not limited to expensive cars like Teslas, it can happen to any car parked outside almost anywhere.

Thanks for your report! So were you charging at Manteca and talked to the owner who had his car broken into? Did it happen that day, or in the past?
It happened that day (which was Thursday). It was around 2pm. I pulled in and saw the glass scattered around his car and his rear passenger window broken out. He had a backpack on the back seat but said it had nothing valuable in it - just some clothing. That's what they grabbed. He said it must have happened as soon as he walked away, because he wasn't gone longer than 10 minutes. My guess is that someone was scoping the chargers.

It would be relatively cheap for Tesla to install DVR-style security cameras at these sites, which would only need to be accessed when an incident occurs. I just don't know if they want the overhead.

Interesting, thanks for the details. I agree, it seems likely that the thief was stationed somewhere in that large parking area watching the Superchargers and waiting for a car to charge unattended with no one else around.

That is disturbing. As I mentioned, whenever I use that location, which is several times a year, my rear trunk is full of stuff which is exposed and I often have various bags in the rear seat and my frunk is full.

My wife and I are now convinced that we need to buy the rear trunk Parcel Shelf cover and not leave things visible inside the car when we leave it charging unattended at locations like Manteca. The insurance deductible we would have to pay to get a window replaced is much more than the cost of the Parcel Shelf, to say nothing of the aggravation and inconvenience that would be incurred if a break in happened during a trip.

I don't expect Tesla to start installing security cameras at Superchargers, nor do I think they would be an effective deterrent. It's easy for someone to conceal their identify with clothes and a hat The police would never find them based on security camera footage unless they stupidly drove within view of the camera and revealed their license plate.

I charged at Manteca early Wednesday AM and noticed broken glass in one of the SC stalls, so perhaps there was another smash and grab on Wednesday morning. The glass was cleaned up by the time we needed a charge on our return trip that evening.

I periodically charge at Manteca, and am usually reassured by the roving security patrol. The mall has some vacancies, but the nearby old Best Buy store looks like there may be a new tenant, and may help our situation.
Never put things away when you pull in to location--do it prior to arriving so that lurkers cannot see you put "interesting" things in the back seats or trunk.
The Frunk may be better for secure storage.

Not great news about Manteca smash and grabs - thanks for posting that. In general, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often in other semi-deserted locations, but that's just because I live at the crossroads of cynical and jaded.

One thing that may help a tiny bit for those who have tinted windows is to deploy a collapsible sunscreen (such as the $9 one at Costco that lists Tesla (presumably the Model S only since they were made before the X)) no matter the hour. This has the effect of making it just a little harder to see inside your chariot than into any adjacent chariots. Thieves are often lazy.

Whenever I park and then leave my car, it's in valet mode. 100% of the time, period. Won't stop the determined or professional thieves from getting into the frunk or glovebox, but it does make it more time-consuming.

Tangentially, anything of value is typically in the frunk*, otherwise concealed, or comes with me when I leave for dinner or wherever (see this particular backpack which serves as a useful travel bag - Oakley Kitchen Sink Backpack in STEALTH BLACK | Oakley). Fits under an airplane seat - even in coach, too *twitch*.

While it's still a car and while a skilled crew could still strip it to the frame in minutes (although as far as I know this has not yet happened, given the relatively unique givens), most of the time as above the thefts are crimes of opportunity.

* Even more tangentially, this morning I remembered to compare the new frunks side by side during one of those gallery Social Hours. Mostly due to height, one can still get a full set of golf clubs into a Model X frunk, with room left over for shoes and such - as long as the bag isn't ridiculously wide. I don't know that a miniature golf putter would fit into the Model S microfrunk these days. Yes, world's smallest violin; I can hear it now. But I'm gonna miss the now classic RWD frunk and microwave and fitted/well-made microwave bag accessory.

My wife and I are now convinced that we need to buy the rear trunk Parcel Shelf cover and not leave things visible inside the car when we leave it charging unattended at locations like Manteca. The insurance deductible we would have to pay to get a window replaced is much more than the cost of the Parcel Shelf, to say nothing of the aggravation and inconvenience that would be incurred if a break in happened during a trip.

Regarding the parcel shelf not lifting up, this is what I got to solve this. I got the original, I believe it has been picked up by Abstract Ocean or somebody else. Works as expected:

Auto-Lift Kit for Model S Parcel Shelf - No Longer Available

I've got a p85 and from San Jose to our place in Arnold on a 100% charge is possible with 30 to 50 miles left over. The Mantica stop takes any worries out of the equation for us. A walk from the chargers to the restroom in Outdoor World and back add almost 70 miles if I do some window shopping on the way out. So I no longer have to charge to 100% before leaving.

PS. leaving Mantica with a 90% charge leaves me with 54% in Arnold.
We are heading to Arnold for the first time this weekend with friends and we are all staying at the Mountain Retreat Resort for three nights...which doesn't have a destination charger. I don't mind charging to 100% at Manteca, but was wondering if you have any tips on where I can get some miles charged locally around town. Stop at the RV park by angels camp? Black Bear Inn has a charger but I doubt they'd let me charge since I'm not staying there.

It looks like it'll be about 95 this weekend and i'm worried I won't make it. First road trip in our X. Thanks so much!