Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Manteca, CA - Perimeter Drive (LIVE 12 Feb 2015, expanded 12 Dec 2017, 20 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just charged in Manteca today and some glass in the ground. Another break In, or hard to believe glad from last month.

What time today? Did a charge there this evening (19:46) at stall 1B and didn't see any glass anywhere in the area of the chargers, although it was getting kind of dark.

When we pulled in, all of the A side stalls were occupied and all of the B sides stalls were empty (whether that was deliberate or accidental I couldn't tell). Even though we had to take a paired stall, we pulled a fairly consistent 74 kW for the 20 minutes we were there.

Bruce.

Charged at Manteca this evening and saw a huge pile of glass near charger #4 (looks like rear left window). I charged in the early morning and I didn't see the glass on the ground, so the smash-and-grab occurred during the daytime.

I charged there on July 22 and there had just been a smash and grab before I pulled up. 2 of the spots had glass all over the ground. Called Tesla and reported it at the time. Also, called mall security to come clean it up. I had to get creative about my charging parking because all non-glass covered spots were full at the time.

It seems like this is one charger to stay with your car.

IMG_3261.JPG

Just charged in Manteca today and some glass in the ground. Another break In...
I charged there last Thursday afternoon and today (Sunday) mid-morning. Didn't notice any glass but didn't really look for it. There were 3 other cars charging so could not see those spaces.
I charged there Wednesday. No glass but security car drove by several times and stopped there for a while. They seem to be aware of the problem.
Maybe, but they can't stop it unless they check the location every 5 minutes. Which I doubt they do.

I am not leaving my car unattended at that Supercharger, ever. And when the Groveland Supercharger is operational (which I think won't be until sometime in 2017) I probably will not be using Manteca anyway.

I depend on this Supercharger for my most frequent travels to the Central Valley, so I for one am definitely not writing it off. Recent events are a reminder to make sure to clean up the cabin before stops (i.e. secure as much as possible out of sight) and keep an eye out for anything suspicious, something that is a good idea to do in any case, whether at a Supercharger, shopping mall, etc.

Bruce.

This is not a bad neighborhood. Probably some local person found easy pickings for a week and now has moved to fresh victims.
No need to abandon the SC.
It will be interesting to see if break-in continue . I think not.
The first event that I reported was in July. That owner said there had been other "problems" at Manteca prior (he passes through every weekend or so). I don't recall him being specific. We've had a number of additional reports since then. It's definitely not only a "week."

I wouldn't abandon the SC, of course, but I also wouldn't abandon my vehicle when I'm there.

Reactions: mspohr
Good advice on not leaving anything visible inside the car, but it may just be that these break-ins are pure vandalism rooted in uneducated hate for EVs... bluntly said, that part of the state isn't necessarily known for its open-mindedness. So it may well be worth staying in or near your car while charging at Manteca.
Knock on wood I haven't had issues in the handful of times that I've been there, but I'll definitely be more vigilant in the future. Thanks to everyone who reported the issues.

In Manteca now. All stacks are at reduced rate of 42kw. I called supercharger support and the nice lady said that everyone was at reduced rates and she was notifying the team. Good thing I'm not in a rush but I will be there twice as long. There's a line now because it's taking twice as long to charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Macbest
When we got back from Red Robin, only 3 cars were charging. No line. The guy that was just parking in 1B got a full 296 amps while mine never climbed above 42 KW. So whatever was causing everyone to be at reduced charged was obviously sticking with me unless and not the new guy who'd just showed up.

Really glad I wasn't in a hurry since were were there to sit down and eat at Red Robin which took an hour. If this was a shorter bathroom break/drink refill stop, I'd have been royally pissed.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
Went and charged yesterday in 3rd stall (2A) and noticed right away the charging cable was quite warm with noone to my paired stall. Dismissed it and thought maybe someone just left charging. Initially started charging close to 120kW but that dropped quickly to 50kW. Saw that it was charging around 125mph. So when stall 1A opened up, I moved there instead. Initially this charged at 80kW but slowly ramped down to 50kW but it was at least charging at nearly twice the speed as stall 3. Then I read the other thread where stalls 1 and 3 were having problems. Argh. Stall 3 (2A) still has damage to the SuperCharger. I went and checked on it a little later and it was still warm to the touch but not nearly as warm when I first plugged in. Temperature was in the high 40s or low 50s that day and overcast.