Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Manteca, CA - Perimeter Drive (LIVE 12 Feb 2015, expanded 12 Dec 2017, 20 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was charging today and one of the stalls was being iced by workers installing a security camera. On another note, was not able to charge faster than 65kW. I even moved to two other stalls and just stayed after the 3rd stall. At no time was I on a paired stall either.

1A seems to be working well this morning. I wasn't paying close attention but I started somewhere north of 90kW on 62% SoC

There's a newish place called "vitality bowls" that's open early. I went in for the restrooms and also enjoyed some fresh juice. It's next to the Subway

Reactions: bmah
There's a newish place called "vitality bowls" that's open early. I went in for the restrooms and also enjoyed some fresh juice. It's next to the Subway

Good to see that they're open, more food choices == better. Wish there was some sort of coffee place here, this is the only mall I've ever been in that didn't have a Peets Coffee, Starbucks, Gloria Jean's, or similar.

Bruce.

Reactions: ucmndd
1A seems to be working well this morning. I wasn't paying close attention but I started somewhere north of 90kW on 62% SoC

Thanks for the heads up! I usually stay in the car due to the lack of decent places to eat. I like Acai bowls!

Was @ Manteca at 1:30 pm today. 4 cars in line (we were #5) but moved quickly (maybe 10 minutes before a stall opened up). 107° outside. Charging a bit slow from about 60 miles to 180 miles on the 2015 S70D (40kW towards the end). Charging handle blazing hot. Grabbed take out burgers and chicken sandwich @ Red Robin. All good.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and McManX
Was @ Manteca at 1:30 pm today. 4 cars in line (we were #5) but moved quickly (maybe 10 minutes before a stall opened up). 107° outside. Charging a bit slow from about 60 miles to 180 miles on the 2015 S70D (40kW towards the end). Charging handle blazing hot. Grabbed take out burgers and chicken sandwich @ Red Robin. All good.
Which stall were you in? Regardless of how hot it is outside, I don't think the handle should be that hot under normal operation. I've had that issue in the past at that location but recently went back to the same stall and quite warm but not to the extreme I've had in the past.

Regardless of how hot it is outside, I don't think the handle should be that hot under normal operation
Yesterday in Manteca it was well over 100 degrees. If there was a line waiting then the stalls were operating nearly continuously. Since they are exposed to full sun, the charging handles certainly could have become so hot that they would be painful to handle. That would be "normal" under those conditions.

I have used Manteca many times over the past 4 years and have never seen a line or seen the stalls more than 3/4 full. Sounds like a very busy day.

Charging handles are always hot to the touch when it's 100F+ and sometimes even in the 80-100F range if it's in direct sunlight. Carry a rag or an old t-shirt for the extreme cases. I've definitely burned myself very slightly before from handling a hot charging cable.

Which stall were you in? Regardless of how hot it is outside, I don't think the handle should be that hot under normal operation. I've had that issue in the past at that location but recently went back to the same stall and quite warm but not to the extreme I've had in the past.
Fresno handles are hot all summer long during the day. In hot weather areas these superchargers should be covered. When was the last time you saw a gas station that wasn't covered? 1950?

Yesterday in Manteca it was well over 100 degrees. If there was a line waiting then the stalls were operating nearly continuously. Since they are exposed to full sun, the charging handles certainly could have become so hot that they would be painful to handle. That would be "normal" under those conditions.

I have used Manteca many times over the past 4 years and have never seen a line or seen the stalls more than 3/4 full. Sounds like a very busy day.
I use Manteca about twice a week with it in over 100F temperature. I can tell you that it does not get too hot to handle when operating normally. I'm not saying it doesn't happen which is why I think there may be something wrong with that particular stall or transformer and I would swap stalls if one is available.

Fresno handles are hot all summer long during the day. In hot weather areas these superchargers should be covered. When was the last time you saw a gas station that wasn't covered? 1950?

Yesterday. Small town convenience store with 2 gas pumps.

Here the normal gas stations are covered so people don't suffer as much while standing and filling up.

Longer term I think that Tesla will want to cover, but they're looking for scale and low pricing on solar.

Wow, I’ve never seen a line at Manteca. Sign of things to come...

Late yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, I was returning from Fresno to the East Bay. I'll usually pick one of two routes, either 99-152-5-580-680-24 (stop at Gustine) or 99-120-5-205-580-680-24 (stop at Manteca). The choice is frequently "whatever I feel like doing", although yesterday I checked the Supercharger occupancy before I launched, and saw that Gustine was more-or-less empty, while Manteca was more-or-less full. That made the choice pretty easy, so I took the route through Gustine, and charged there without incident (maximum of 1 other car there). Out of curiosity did anyone here use Manteca yesterday and what was it like (i.e. was it really that full)?

Bruce.