Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Manteca, CA - Perimeter Drive (LIVE 12 Feb 2015, expanded 12 Dec 2017, 20 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll stop by Friday and check, but last update was "Plan Check" and far as I know permit has not been granted. Construction is under way now in Truckee so possible that permit came through first so they bumped it ahead of Manteca.

I've driven past the site every day in the last week, and there are no signs of construction in the parking lot. My daily drive will stop, but for the next month, I'll probably drive past once a week. I'll post here once I see some action.

"Coming soon" Supercharger in the Manteca CA area

Okay thanks for checking. I'm disappointed there are no signs of construction but am optimistic that it will get done this year.

There are just so many things outside of Tesla's control that can effect the pace of SC construction at a particular site. Look at how quickly the Truckee SC got going, and that wasn't even on Tesla's official map until a couple of months ago.

Last edited:
Yosemite's loss is Reno/Lake Tahoe's gain, I guess...

Well, at a minimum, the city of Manteca's loss. I'm incredulous that city hall would not have approved this permit and put this project on a fast track as soon as the permit application hit their desk. The Manteca city council apparently has no idea of the positive economic impact of having a Supercharger would have on that mall. We would have stopped there at least four times by now had the Supercharger been up and running. Countless others who travel north and southbound on I-5 but do not have the ability to go from Harris to Folsom (either because they have a 60 or because they don't want to slow down) detour to Gilroy. All of these folks would most likely have made some positive economic impact on that mall when stopping for 20 minutes.

Last edited:
I can't believe that they are still doing a plan check after a month....Wake up Manteca!

As of the planning document for September 2014.

Tesla vehicle “Supercharger” station is under building permit
plan check and is to be located in
the parking area south of
Perimeter Drive and west of the
Bass Pro Shops building.
http://www.teslamotors.com/sup
ercharger

http://www.ci.manteca.ca.us/ProjectStatusReport.pdf

I also drove past the site yesterday and can confirm that there is no activity.

Last edited:
As a Central Valleyite, I will be pleasantly surprised if this Supercharger is operative by Summer 2015. This location is perfect for us San Joaquin Valley types to continue our journey north into the Sacramento Valley without detouring to Roseville or Vacaville. Not to mention it makes access to Yosemite for Bay Area folks a snap.

It just seems that many locations in California served by the larger utilities are chronically delayed.....

I've lost track, but I think this "coming-soon" dot must have been on the map since at least mid-2013. Must be a record.

Embarrassing. If the city of Manteca and its planning department can't get off their butts to approve this after months now, then Tesla should move this to another city who has enough smarts to realize that there is an economic benefit of having a Supercharger in their city, even if that just means stopping at a restaurant or shopping for 20-30 minutes.

I contacted the City of Manteca. Bad news -- it seems that Manteca approved the application, but Tesla has since withdrawn. Hopefully, Tesla is following up on a nearby alternate location, but Manteca was well-located for routes along I-5 and for to Yosemite (Hwy 120).

Good Morning Mr. --

Unfortunately I regret to tell you that the applicant for the project withdrew their permit application after the review by the City was complete. It appears that it is not the intention of the contractor and/or Tesla to install the charging stations here in Manteca at this time. Please let me know if I can answer any further questions or be of any other help.

Sincerely,
-
Chief Building Official
City of Manteca

I contacted the City of Manteca. Bad news -- it seems that Manteca approved the application, but Tesla has since withdrawn. Hopefully, Tesla is following up on a nearby alternate location, but Manteca was well-located for routes along I-5 and for to Yosemite (Hwy 120).

Good Morning Mr. --

Unfortunately I regret to tell you that the applicant for the project withdrew their permit application after the review by the City was complete. It appears that it is not the intention of the contractor and/or Tesla to install the charging stations here in Manteca at this time. Please let me know if I can answer any further questions or be of any other help.

Sincerely,
-
Chief Building Official
City of Manteca
I never thought Manteca was a particularly good location, although certainly better than nothing. It's too close to the Bay Area and too far from Yosemite (unless you're only going to Yosemite Valley). Putting it further east, at least in Oakdale but preferably in Jamestown or Groveland would be much better. As to I-5, it's too far from Corning for a 60/Model 3 at typical I-5 speeds in so-so conditions, around 175 miles. You really need to break that leg into three parts, not two, say Dunnigan or Woodland and somewhere around Patterson. Of course, I've always thought that Corning was a poor choice, as Red Bluff is the gateway city for Lassen coming from the south, plus it's also the north end of 99 coming from Oroville and Chico and also the junction for S.R. 36 heading west to 101. Once the decision was made to put an SC in Vacaville, the justification for Corning dropped considerably IMO.

Harris Ranch to Manteca is pretty much the ideal distance between superchargers. There would still need to be another before Corning for better spacing, but it still would be possible to go straight through on I-5 without a detour to Vacaville. Serving Highway 99 and travel to Yosemite (even if destination charging is needed to get back) gives Manteca triple utility that you wouldn't get at a location farther south. This is a glaring hole in Tesla's well-used California network - I wonder what would make Tesla cancel after it was approved by the city.