Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Maple Creek, SK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

@lloydbrokeit found a new Supercharger under construction at the Coop gas station in Maple Creek. 1 MW transformer was being installed on site as of last week. Photo from Lloyd on PlugShare
A2E71603-7574-4C26-A4F9-91CBBBF5557F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maple Creek, SK

Along National Highways: TCH/SK-1

TCH/SK-1:
To: Moose Jaw, SK (Construction) - 307.4 km
Diversion: 16.7 km*
To: Regina, SK (Permit) - 382.1 km

To: Fort McLeod, AB (TCH/SK-1/AB-1, AB-3), : 309.9 km

Large diversion, but at least it's a relatively fast diversion for the distance, at 13 minutes.
Beggars can't be choosers.

This is fantastic news!! From the known Moose Jaw location to here is likely not do-able in winter in my 85D. I drove by the potential site in Regina yesterday and there are no utility flags or signs of anything so I wonder what Sask sites will actually go ahead this summer?? Hmm.

If you go slowly and you wear a toque and scarf and parka (guess why) then it's doable. :) But, yeah, hopefully there's going to be another site in the middle between these two. When it gets to -20 C or colder it's really no fun going more than 150 km at a time. It's just brutal. (Speaking from experience across the U.S. in December).

Maple Creek, SK

Along National Highways: TCH/SK-1

TCH/SK-1:
To: Moose Jaw, SK (Construction) - 307.4 km
Diversion: 16.7 km*
To: Regina, SK (Permit) - 382.1 km

To: Fort McLeod, AB (TCH/SK-1/AB-1, AB-3), : 309.9 km

Large diversion, but at least it's a relatively fast diversion for the distance, at 13 minutes.
Beggars can't be choosers.

Yes, this is odd. Obviously there will be a charger in between, most likely Swift Current.

I'm curious what the effect is travelling in the cold of winter on the highway. I know in the city, with an average commute speed of about 30-40kph, I was using 3 to 4 km per km traveled - but that doesn't allow for longer travel (car already warm) or higher speeds - cabin heat is time-dependent, not distance. For some reason (no superchargers?) I have not had the opportunity to test longer distance highway travel. Theoretically I have 500km, I should be able to go a decent distance even in winter, I hope.

Yes, this is odd. Obviously there will be a charger in between, most likely Swift Current.

I'm curious what the effect is travelling in the cold of winter on the highway. I know in the city, with an average commute speed of about 30-40kph, I was using 3 to 4 km per km traveled - but that doesn't allow for longer travel (car already warm) or higher speeds - cabin heat is time-dependent, not distance. For some reason (no superchargers?) I have not had the opportunity to test longer distance highway travel. Theoretically I have 500km, I should be able to go a decent distance even in winter, I hope.
You're still looking at a 25-40% reduction on your highway distances. It's safer to underestimate than overestimate.

...and homesick.
Sub-optimal but I made it from Crossiron SC to further than Saskatoon in about 13.5hr using only Hanna & Kindersley. Modest favourable wind so could have handily reached Confed Inn w/o Kindersley (which given Kindersley was a bit flaky headed in other direction, was my Plan B). Key for amounting to the same trip was leaving at night & napping while charging.

But that would be a freaky trip in winter.

This area, Crowsnest to really all the way across SK along #1 is wind power potential level of windy. Driving into persistent wind of just 20kph hammers your range. While the heaviest of winds is usually bringing warmer air eventually, 30kph wind + -20C will really dig into range.

More importantly, SC network is built to support the 200 mi range vehicles.

Sub-optimal but I made it from Crossiron SC to further than Saskatoon in about 13.5hr using only Hanna & Kindersley. Modest favourable wind so could have handily reached Confed Inn w/o Kindersley (which given Kindersley was a bit flaky headed in other direction, was my Plan B). Key for amounting to the same trip was leaving at night & napping while charging.

But that would be a freaky trip in winter.
I dunno. Would going to the Red Deer SC, then going across Highway 12 to Saskatoon be feasible and quicker? Probably need to stop off at Stettler at either the Peavy Mart or Atco chargers to top off.

The crew could be headed that way very soon. Lots of sites are roughed in waiting for equipment, so Maple Creek could be next for construction. Still looking to go south this winter on I 94 & I 15. Might have a Canadian route first though. Don't think Shelby or Great Falls, MT are operational or under construction.

The crew could be headed that way very soon. Lots of sites are roughed in waiting for equipment, so Maple Creek could be next for construction. Still looking to go south this winter on I 94 & I 15. Might have a Canadian route first though. Don't think Shelby or Great Falls, MT are operational or under construction.

There’s a super8 in Conrad that’s ok and has several 14-50 plugs available. It was ok when I stayed there.

Spring Hill Suites in Great Falls is MUCH nicer, and in a bigger town for sure.

Prices will match expectations based on location and descriptions.

Suds Hut in Helena is a convenient stopping location for lunch and very much worth supporting. They’ve supported Tesla/EVs for forever. On a nostalgic note, they were the first destination charger my car ever plugged into. :)

There’s a super8 in Conrad that’s ok and has several 14-50 plugs available. It was ok when I stayed there.

Spring Hill Suites in Great Falls is MUCH nicer, and in a bigger town for sure.

Prices will match expectations based on location and descriptions.

Suds Hut in Helena is a convenient stopping location for lunch and very much worth supporting. They’ve supported Tesla/EVs for forever. On a nostalgic note, they were the first destination charger my car ever plugged into. :)
Thanks for that. Looks like Conrad might be an almost perfect overnight stopping place. Should get us into St.George at a decent time.